Author Topic: Question from Denmark about origin and maker.  (Read 1618 times)

Offline Bent R. Jacobsen

• Starting Member
  • Dane from the town of Hamlet :-)
Question from Denmark about origin and maker.
« on: March 11, 2019, 06:55:29 PM »
Thank you for letting me in, in this forum! I have this - I think – very beautiful Pennsylvania-Kentucky rifle, but I have only an idea about, where it was made, and who made it. There is no signature on the barrel or elsewhere on the rifle. Barrel is almost 38“ long, with a caliber fit for a .380 round ball. Originally made for percussion. The shape of the rifle to my limited knowledge indicate the area around Lancaster, Pennsylvania. I think the wriggled §- engravings on both the patch box and 3 places on the barrel could indicate the Gumpf-family from Lancaster county, PA. I would very much appreciate any comment, that could make me more cleaver about my Pennsylvania-Kentucky rifle and perhaps tell me, if I am “way out” about what I think I have found out until now! :-) Kind regards Bent, Elsinore, Denmark.

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
Re: Question from Denmark about origin and maker.
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2019, 07:14:13 PM »
Hej Bent,

Welcome to ALR.  Have you removed the barrel to see if there are any markings on the under side?  Is there any carving on the the cheekpiece side of the buttstock, or behind the barrel tang and around the rear most ramrod pipe?   

It might be helpful to see a close up picture of the lock, trigger guard, rear ramrod pipe and pictures of any carving.

Good luck in your quest.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2019, 07:46:15 PM »
This rifle is the work of either Jacob Paulmer or George Wareham. Both men were from Stark County, Ohio originally. Wareham trained under Jacob Paulmer, married one of his daughters, and later moved to DeKalb Co., Indiana in early 1850s, where Paulmer had previously moved just prior to 1850. The gun is either a late work by Paulmer in Indiana circa 1855-1860, or perhaps a mid-period work by Wareham circa 1845-1855. Their rifles look earlier than they actually are...both men still used relief carving as late as 1850s, and large, engraved patchboxes much later.

The box engraving actually looks more like a late 1855-1860 Paulmer rifle to me, as does the nice touch at the front sight, but the lack of precision in the border engraving in the finial hints at Wareham's hand...or an old Paulmer who is getting jittery at detail work. Check the lock plate closely. Sometimes Paulmer engraved his initials on the lock plate when he did not sign his rifles. The butt plate with the deep filing on the top extension is definitely their work. Probably a late Jacob S. Paulmer made in Indiana about 1855-1860. Shelby Gallien
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 11:57:57 PM by Tanselman »

Offline Bent R. Jacobsen

• Starting Member
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2019, 07:53:30 PM »
Hello Ron :-) I hope the photos ar what you asked for. The lock is a George Goulcher lock, so it is not made by the guy, who made the rifle. There are no carvings beside a line on the cheekpiece and a line on each side of the buttstock. I don't think will take off the barrel as I am terrified, that the stock would crack. If you notice the plastic tube and the tread on the nipple, it is only because I am trying to suck it a bit to get the nipple of. - It is too wide for a normal cap. -Bent

dice rolling website

Offline Bent R. Jacobsen

• Starting Member
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2019, 08:07:08 PM »
UPS - forgot this one - sorry.

Offline Chris_B

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2019, 07:34:28 AM »
Bent, welcome from the German "neighbourhood" ;)
This is a mighty nice rifle you have!
Since I know how scarce they are over here, may I ask where you found it?
Best, Chris
Kind regards from Germany, Chris

Offline Bent R. Jacobsen

• Starting Member
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2019, 10:48:27 AM »
Hallo Chris. I have found it in Ancestry Guns, Columbia, Missouri. And as it demands no license (made before 1870), it can be shipped by "normal" post. Viele Grüße, Bent

Offline Chris_B

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2019, 04:56:09 PM »
Hallo Chris. I have found it in Ancestry Guns, Columbia, Missouri. And as it demands no license (made before 1870), it can be shipped by "normal" post. Viele Grüße, Bent
Hallo Bent, I received several rifles from Ancestry Guns over the last years, too.
Guess I somehow missed yours... ;) Schönen Gruß zurück, Chris
Kind regards from Germany, Chris

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2019, 04:58:12 PM »
Hi Bent,

Thanks for the additional pictures.  That is a handsome rifle. 

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2019, 08:25:39 PM »
Jacob Paulmer has a very unique grave stone marker.  I have always admired his carving on the few rifles I have seen made by him.  https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/110975595
Joel Hall