Author Topic: Shuler? Shulee?  (Read 1280 times)

Stevenlisa_1

Shuler? Shulee?
« on: March 10, 2019, 10:56:50 PM »
I picked this beauty up at auction yesterday. She has alot of character and definitely seen brighter days. It's a half stock
.32 caliber with several brass sheet repairs. Lock is T. Davidson & Co Cincinnati, Oh. Barrel length is 36 1/4". Missing ramrod and one ferrule. Barrel is pitted and rusted. Basically a wall hanger. I am questioning the maker. I believe it's either Daniel Shulee or Shuler. It has an Ohio rifle characteristic but the butt end leads me to question that conclusion. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

upload and share pictures

« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 11:03:44 PM by Stevenlisa_1 »

Offline JTR

• member 2
Re: Shuler? Shulee?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2019, 11:12:46 PM »
Probably Daniel Shuler.
From Sellers 2nd Gunsmiths book;
Daniel Shuler, Licking Co. Ohio, 1850. Hardin Co. Ohio 1856. Chillicothe Missouri, 1861.
Made percussion half stock.
Son of John Shuler of Bucks Co. Pa.
John Robbins

Stevenlisa_1

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2019, 11:29:21 PM »
I was hoping to run across someone that may have another of his to compare the name and style. Could this Daniel be a relative of THE Valentine Shuler?

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2019, 11:38:34 PM »
John and Valentine were brothers, so Valentine would be his Uncle.
John Robbins

Stevenlisa_1

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2019, 11:59:15 PM »
I'm not an expert by any means,  even though I've been shooting black  powder for 30 years...... But would this be considered an Ohio rifle? The bottom of that stock really throws me off. I have two other actual Ohio rifles that don't look like the end of this one.

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2019, 12:34:26 AM »
You've got a Daniel Shuler, definitely an Ohio rifle. It's obviously seen better days but we have had worse show up. Bring it down to the Ohio Longrifle Collectors show April 5 & 6 at the Lafayette Hotel in Marietta. You'll get all the information and advise you may want, or not .
Mark
Mark