Author Topic: Looking For "Friends" to go Scouting with!!  (Read 9652 times)

La Longue Carabine

Looking For "Friends" to go Scouting with!!
« on: June 22, 2009, 06:07:13 PM »
Hello again, I've only lived in East Tennessee for 3 years now and i hardly know anyone. I shoot competition archery and know some people from that, but they're just not into the primitive muzzleloader/reenacting thing. I would like to invite anyone that would like to get together and go out on a scout or an overnight trek (when it gets a little cooler)....I've only got about 160,000 acres of Cherokee National Forest, which butts up to 200 acres of private property, in Del Rio Tennessee, that i have permission to be on and to bring anyone i want. We will have open trails for walking, good flat areas for camping and all of the Smokey Mountains you care to climb.....(but i'am a little to out'a shape to climb to many mountains).... ;D.....Why heck, we're even liable to see an "Big Ole Bear" or two.... :o (no kidding) Now i like to try and go as traditional as i can, but i don't have all the gear i need just yet, so you'll probally see me bed down in a one man tent, until i can get me some suiteable canvas for a bed roll and leantoo. Also, i'am going to try and make me a pack harness, because i've got me 135 pounds of pure rock hard muscle. Daddy's "Big Ole Baby Boy"  our Rottweiler "Jericho" and he is as strong as a bull and i'am going to rig him up to carry a majority of our possibles.... ;D So if you live in or near the East Tenn. area and would be interested in getting together for this, please let me know. We would have a blast.... ;D and the more the merrier.

Thank you,
Danny

Here's a few pictures of my "Big Baby"

david50

Re: Looking For "Friends" to go Scouting with!!
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 10:19:34 PM »
thats a good lookin' pooch, he outta be quite the trekkin' buddy. wish i was in your neck of the woods, i would sure go with you.

Offline trentOH

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 02:36:22 AM »
La longue carabine et la grande chien! Magnifique, et tres bien!

Bon voyage.

TNrifleman

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 02:48:21 AM »
PM sent.

Offline Randy Hedden

• member 2
  • American Mountain Men #1393
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 03:54:21 AM »
Danny,

You would probably have better luck finding trekking partners by visiting:

http://frontierfolk.net/phpBB/viewforum.php?f=2&sid=6bfbf68534284199232b22047230f104

or

http://www.historicaltrekking.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=1

You will for sure find some good folks to trek with on these two boards

Randy Hedden

American Mountain Men #1393

J.D.

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 05:06:45 AM »
If I lived closer, I would be there with bells on, but that's a long haul from Missouri.  The crew I used to trek with are getting too old...or at least act too old to get out in the woods anymore, so I either have to go by myself, or find someone else to go with. which is a real  bummer.

I may be getting old, but I sure ain't gonna act old.  ;D

Gotta check on some parts in the furnace.

God bless,
J.D.

La Longue Carabine

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 05:17:30 PM »
La longue carabine et la grande chien! Magnifique, et tres bien!

Bon voyage.
Merci beaucoup, il est un bon chien, tres courgeux. Rottweilers sont une race merveilleuse des chiens.

Les souvenirs,
Danny Biggers

La Longue Carabine

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 05:29:19 PM »
If I lived closer, I would be there with bells on, but that's a long haul from Missouri.  The crew I used to trek with are getting too old...or at least act too old to get out in the woods anymore, so I either have to go by myself, or find someone else to go with. which is a real  bummer.

I may be getting old, but I sure ain't gonna act old.  ;D

Gotta check on some parts in the furnace.

God bless,
J.D.
Oh i hear you, i'am old and out'a shape, but getting out there and doing it is the only way i see to get a little excercise and feel a little younger. I'am 43 with a few health issues, but i'am willing to give it all i got... ;D Whewwww and your right, Missouri is a pretty far piece from here. Oh well, if your ever in the neighborhood, give me a shout... ;D

Online T*O*F

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2009, 07:43:24 PM »
i'am old and out'a shape,  I'am 43
Danny,
I hate to say it, but there are a lot of us on this board who have socks and underwear that are older than you are.

Le Renard Subtil
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

jim m

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2009, 08:41:37 PM »
43, old, heck I've got a son that is 43. I must be ancient LOL. Jim sayin hi from sw missouri

La Longue Carabine

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2009, 09:43:23 PM »
Ouch!! :o  So i guess that means you fella's were around when the Hudson's Bay Co. was new..... ;D :D ;) LOL....Well i reckon i don't feel so bad now... ;D Seriously, i guess that means you guy's have a lot to teach a green horne like me. I like to think i'am a good student so keep yourselves handy for when the questions start forming....

I look forward to chatting with ya.

Danny

jim m

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2009, 10:28:10 PM »
no offense taken, we need all the greenhorns we can get.

Offline Scott Bumpus

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2009, 05:44:10 AM »
Aint goin trekkin if that big puppy bites!!! ;D
YOU CAN ONLY BE LOST IF YOU GIVE A @!*% WHERE THE $#*! YOU ARE!!

J.D.

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2009, 08:43:52 PM »

Bite him back, then curl up with him on those cold nights. A dogs normal body temp is about 103 degrees, so it's good to make friends with anything that can keep you warm at night...well, almost anything that can keep you warm.  ;D

Danny,
 I have 17 years on you, but I'm not going down without a fight. As soon as the heat breaks, I plan to resume training for a coupla treks in the 15-20 mile range. If no one wants to tag along, I'm going by myself.

There is a nice wilderness area about an hour from the house that doesn't get a too much activity.  The area has a somewhat bad reputation, since the trail isn't marked, so more than a few day hikers end up spending an uncomfortable night night in the woods. Those who do venture into that area are easy enough to avoid. However, an adjacent landowners dogs are harder to avoid. They have acted somewhat threatening during  the coupla encounters I have had with them, but they don't seem to like slingshots, at all.

God bless
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 09:08:20 PM by J.D. »

Online T*O*F

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2009, 09:43:11 PM »
they don't seem to like slingshots, at all.

JD,
Carry a water pistol full of ammonia with you.  Don't take as long to load as a slingshot and you can get more than one dog.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

La Longue Carabine

« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2009, 12:13:29 AM »
Awwwh! don't worry, he only bites "once". :o  Its the letting go part, he has trouble with.....;D  :D... LOL... ;D Just let me know when your heading down here and we'll see about doing some shooting.  I'am about 50 mins north east from Knoxville.

Offline Scott Bumpus

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2009, 04:42:40 AM »
Now aint this $#*!!!  I should have kept my mouth shut, believe it or not I got dog bit today!!  Dog acted all friendly and when i reached down to pet it dang thing bit my hand.  Took hide off my fingers and brought blood but not really bad, just enought to tick me off!!  Third time I been bit doing a/c service work, and I'm a dog lover. >:(

La Longue Carabine

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2009, 05:25:54 PM »
Now aint this $#*!!!  I should have kept my mouth shut, believe it or not I got dog bit today!!  Dog acted all friendly and when i reached down to pet it dang thing bit my hand.  Took hide off my fingers and brought blood but not really bad, just enought to tick me off!!  Third time I been bit doing a/c service work, and I'm a dog lover. >:(
Dog Bit!!! let me show ya'll "Dawg" bit... :o

First the story.  Me and my wife were out walking "Jericho" the Rottweiler and our little 35 pound mixed breed dog, (mixed with what, we don't know) but needless to say these 2 dogs "do not get along"... :( So we were trying to do some socialization techniques with the 2 dogs, (i'am somewhat of a dog trainer) by walking them and slowly introducing them to one another in an effort to get them acclimated to one another. This plan was working great and after about a quater of a mile from the house, we stopped to rest. So while waiting,  i started doing a social excerise of walking one dog straight into the other, which work perfectly also. Well.... ::) while standing there with the wife talking, her with the little dog and me with the Rottweiler, Mitzi reaches down to pet the little dog, then makes the near fatal error of reaching over to pet the Rottweiler...... :o Now i know what ya'll are thinking, "OMG" the Rottweiler bit her...."NO".... When she reached to pet "Jericho" he leaned in to recieve the petting and the little dog got so afraid, that he lunged in to attack "Jericho" and at that same instance, Mitzi (bless her heart) reached in to grab the little dog and he's the one that bit her on the hand.... :'(

Here's a picture of what it did to her hand........ WARNING!!! ........ this is graphic... :o

Offline Scott Bumpus

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2009, 01:10:06 AM »
I believe that little dog woud get some 45 cal training!!

La Longue Carabine

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2009, 01:29:36 AM »
Oh noooo!! sweetest little ole dog that there ever was. He's just had to many run in's with "Jericho" and has come out on the s**t end of the stick. So now he is terrified of him, but he still won't run from him. Basically he has more "B@ll's than Brains". Mitzi is the one that made the bad mistake of sticking her hand in there to grab at a fighting dog. She just done it without thinking and now she'll wear that reminder on her hand the rest of her day's... :( Sorry to hear about you getting snipped at, some of these dog's you really got watch hard.

La Longue Carabine

« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2009, 04:54:05 PM »
Sorry to have drifted off topic a bit, but i'd still like to see if there's anyone else that lives in or close to the E. Tenn area that would like to get together soon and do a short scout, (or a long one) either way. I just know i've got a lot to learn, not to mention how much fun this stuff is..... :) Anyways, i'am looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,
Danny

rdillon

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2009, 05:19:47 PM »

I agree!!!!!  Some high speed lead injection will train it for sure!

La Longue Carabine

« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2009, 09:41:31 PM »
Dear Lord, let me see if i can clear this up so there's no misunderstanding... ::)

The Big Rottweiler (pictured above) named "Jericho" is NOT the dog that bit my wifes hand. I repeat, "Is NOT"the one that bit her hand. It was the little mix breed i was talking about and he didn't mean to do that. He was just scared out of his mind and latched on to the first thing he saw when lunging in after Jericho, which was Mitzi's hand. It truly was a pure accident. Other than that, this is one of the most lovable little dogs you could ever want. So we won't be putting him down anytime soon... ;)

I just wanted to make it clear, just in case someone is thinking, "i'am not going on a trek or scout with this guy, if he's going to bring a dog that's going to maul me".... :o 

NO, no, no, Jericho is highly trained in both English & German commands & very obidient. The only time he would ever come unglued is if feels like i'am being threatened, or raised voices in anger.....He won't put up with that at all..... :)

Now with that said, please lets get back to the real topic. October is just around the corner and that is my favorite time of year. Getting out there with my long rifle in hand, shooting bag loaded for bear, powder horn full, and moccasins on my feet..... ;D Whewwww, i can hardly wait.... :D or as i said earlier, we can go when anyone is of mind too... ;) Just let me know.