Author Topic: Requesting Help I.D. Maker  (Read 1018 times)

Offline Kittleson

• Starting Member
Requesting Help I.D. Maker
« on: March 19, 2019, 11:07:03 PM »
Having just begun collecting long rifles and being new to ALR, I would like to request the expertise from ALR members in identifying one of my unsigned rifles.  The only markings are on the lock - "W. S. Fletcher/Warranted."  With limited access to research materials, I've identified the lock maker William S. Fletcher, Glouchester, England, to his tax records 1841-1844.  In addition, based on the patch box, and butt plate, I'm guessing the maker might be Joseph Graham.  Tax records show Graham worked as a gunsmith in Freedom Borough, Beaver County, PA in 1841, 1842, 1852, and 1854. The rifle measures 53.25" overall with a 37.50" full octagon barrel.  Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks in advance,
Kittleson

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Re: Requesting Help I.D. Maker
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2019, 11:54:08 PM »
Looks Pittsburgh or Ohio.  It won't be easy to ID.  I think that patchbox was sold commercially.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2019, 11:55:03 PM »
Several of my triggerguards exactly like that one were purchased in Pittsburgh, most likely from Whitmore Wolff Duff & Co.
Nice condition. 
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Kittleson

• Starting Member
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2019, 12:15:18 AM »
Thanks for your input.  I was leaning toward western PA, specifically Allegheny County, by its architecture, but being a newbie, I wasn't sure if it might be outside PA which I'm not familiar with.  Once again, I really appreciate you taking time out of your busy schedule to look her over.

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2019, 02:06:18 AM »
Beautiful curl. It’s a nice rifle