Author Topic: Somerset/Huntingdon PA rifle  (Read 1653 times)

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Somerset/Huntingdon PA rifle
« on: March 21, 2019, 08:33:44 PM »
I posted this rifle 10 years. ago.  Still looking for the maker.  There is a capital D in the signature and not much more can be made out.

Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Shreckmeister

Re: Somerset/Huntingdon PA rifle
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2019, 08:35:03 PM »

Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2019, 04:07:50 AM »
Nice rifle for the late period. Are you thinking 1840's?

Offline Kevin

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2019, 05:04:08 AM »
Greetings,

Just stumbled onto this current auction listing described as a "Fine Huntingdon County Percussion Kentucky Longrifle Signed Douglass With 34 Silver Inlays." Also with the "top flat stamped "D. DOUGLASS"

https://auctions.morphyauctions.com/_A__Fine_Huntingdon_County_Percussion_Kentucky_Lon-LOT458870.aspx

Maybe from the same hand?

Kevin

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2019, 05:35:33 AM »
Greetings,

Just stumbled onto this current auction listing described as a "Fine Huntingdon County Percussion Kentucky Longrifle Signed Douglass With 34 Silver Inlays." Also with the "top flat stamped "D. DOUGLASS"

https://auctions.morphyauctions.com/_A__Fine_Huntingdon_County_Percussion_Kentucky_Lon-LOT458870.aspx

Kevin
That is pretty neat, you found another great rifle & discovered the maker of Shreckmeister's rifle.

Offline Mark Tyler

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2019, 06:32:30 AM »
Greetings,

Kevin
That is pretty neat, you found another great rifle & discovered the maker of Shreckmeister's rifle.

Not a David Douglass rifle and not a Huntingdon County Rifle in my opinion.

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2019, 03:30:13 PM »
I also think not Douglass. Where would you locate the origin of this rifle Mark?  I trust your judgement given your experience and this is your home area.