Author Topic: 16 Gauge round ball load  (Read 2367 times)

Offline Gunner

• Starting Member
16 Gauge round ball load
« on: March 25, 2019, 12:07:44 AM »
Life got busy and I dropped out of black powder shooting for a few years. Was showing off my safe queens to my Grandson and it looks like no better time then now to get active again. If the community would be so kind to provide a recommended load range for round ball in a 16 gauge english fowler (Getz barrel). My mould casts a .635 ball and I am using lubed pillow ticking. My records show that was sighted in up to 80 grains of ffg. Thanks for any advice.
St. Louis Area, Missouri

Offline Bob Roller

Re: 16 Gauge round ball load
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2019, 12:19:35 AM »
Life got busy and I dropped out of black powder shooting for a few years. Was showing off my safe queens to my Grandson and it looks like no better time then now to get active again. If the community would be so kind to provide a recommended load range for round ball in a 16 gauge english fowler (Getz barrel). My mould casts a .635 ball and I am using lubed pillow ticking. My records show that was sighted in up to 80 grains of ffg. Thanks for any advice.

I had a W.W.Greener double rifle in 16 bore and it regulated both barrels with a .660roundball
and 90 grains of DuPont 3fg.Patch was pillow ticking,blue stripes.

Bob Roller

Offline Longknife

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2019, 01:36:37 AM »

Lots of people have "plinking" loads (saves powder)and "hunting" loads. I would start at 70 and go from there,,,...Ed
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 01:52:17 AM by Longknife »
Ed Hamberg

Offline Daryl

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2019, 06:18:46 AM »
I shoot 85gr. 2F in my 20 bore Hunkeler smoothbore with .022" patch and .595" ball.
My other bore gun is a rifle, of 14 bore (.69) for plinking I use 82 to 85gr. 2F and .034" patch and a .682" pure lead or .675" harder alloy round ball.
For hunting with the 14 bore rife, I use 165gr. 2F GOEX, 1st shot is 682" ball, Track's Mink-oiled patch. 2nd and/or subsequent shots are with a non-lubed paper ctg.
having 165gr. GOEX 2F, a Hardened .683" ball.

These were a light load for the Bess, having .715" ball and 85gr. 3F, but you get the idea. Tapered paper ctg. is easier to handle and always sit in the pocket, ball down.
They are very tough, 2 wraps and can be carried in a pocket all fall, without damage. With no lube, they do not pick up any dirt or lint.

The paper ctgs. for my hunting 14 bore rifle, actually engrave the paper upon loading. A short starter isn't needed, but you then have to really choke up on the rod to get them
started.  Then down they go, easily.  They give identical accuracy to a patched round ball with the same load and shoot to the sights, same deal.
I can fire 10 of these with no loss in accuracy, but then I have to shoot a cleaning load of a wet cloth patch and pure lead or alloyed ball. I use my plinking load or 82 or 85gr. 2F
 (whichever measure I grab). This load with spit lubed (very wet) patch cleans the bore and allows another 10 shots to be fired.
R. Blevins, a member here, tested paper ctgs. down to .54 cal, and found that was the lower limit for accuracy with them. Smaller, as in 50 cal and smaller, seemingly develop too much pressure
to be accurate with paper ctgs. it seems.
DPhar and Roger both found the same as I did - same accuracy with the ctgs. as patched round balls. They are worth trying if interested. Bob-in-the-woods also sued paper ctgs. to good
effect for hunting with his 10 bore.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 06:26:12 AM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline John SMOthermon

• John SMOthermon
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2019, 04:23:31 PM »

Here’s a couple of targets I shot a week or so back from my 16.

Load info on targets....

More shooting / load development later this week....
Hopefully .

The gun shoots better than I do.....
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 04:30:19 PM by Smo »
Smo

Good Luck & Good Shootin'

Offline Daryl

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2019, 03:07:32 AM »
Here's a 28 yard, 5-shot offhand target I made about 4 years ago, with a patched ball.
Had one flier or poor hold (more likely) that opened the group to almost 2".
I've standardized on the 3 dram load (usually) which is 82gr.
 I do plunk in 100gr. for the 90 to 110yard targets on our trail walk.

Daryl

Offline John SMOthermon

• John SMOthermon
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2019, 06:11:30 AM »
I take a flyer like that one every time . LOL

Good Shooting
Smo

Good Luck & Good Shootin'

Offline Daryl

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2019, 11:10:34 PM »
Shuck's Smo, it's got a sight right there on the end of the barrel.

upload pic

Daryl

Offline stikshooter

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2019, 11:24:57 PM »
Shuck's Smo, it's got a sight right there on the end of the barrel. You should get an award for seeing that that tiny bead at the end of that barrel ,battery powered (L.E.D) ?

upload pic

Offline Daryl

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2019, 03:19:26 AM »
 :) If you click on it twice, it shows up - the above picture as well as the one below. It's not high, but being brass is quite visible when aiming, against the browned barrel.
See- it's huge. ;)

This summer, I am going to try a .595" bare ball as well as some from a Lee mould that casts .607" or .608", although supposed to be .600".
I think I can get some .600's from an other member.  I'll try with and without sprues.

Should do this with a rear sight and without as well.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 03:29:00 AM by Daryl »
Daryl