Author Topic: Hoyt Gain twist 58cal  (Read 1405 times)

Offline Mauser06

Hoyt Gain twist 58cal
« on: April 09, 2019, 01:43:03 AM »
Many have inquired about my 58cal gain twist barrel by Bobby Hoyt.   

I said I'd post shooting results as I shoot it.   The rifle is still being built but I like to test fire before finishing.   

I didn't shoot a ton.  15-20 shots at 50yds.  Didn't experiment much.

Last 4 shots are unmarked and in the horizontal line.   Only looks like 3 but I swear there's 4.

I'm no patch expert but they aren't burnt.  I think that's .018" ticking.   Lubed with mink oil. Could probably been lubed a little more..I just smeared them across the tin.  .570" Speer ball and 100gr of 2F Goex.

Shows good potential.  Even the "bad" groups were 3-4". 

Should also mention I was bored and made the front sight from the edge of a penny....I need something just a little thicker lol. It was about impossible to see. 

Offline stikshooter

Re: Hoyt Gain twist 58cal
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2019, 02:27:56 AM »
Looks good to me ,it only gets better after today/Ed

Offline Mauser06

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2019, 02:41:39 AM »
Rifle fires like a champ.  Everything works well.  And looking like it aughta shoot well.  I'm happy.   

A more visible front sight and some trial and error and I think it'll shoot very well.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2019, 03:23:03 AM »
The brown marks out around the periphery are from scorching of flame passing in the bottom of each groove, thus showing not quite a seal, but likely

OK with THAT powder charge. More powder or hotter burning powder might cut and burn the patch, hurting accuracy.

The brown in the centre of the patch that was on the bottom of the ball is due to burning off the lube & scorching, which is normal

unless more lube than needed was applied.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Mauser06

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2019, 04:29:26 AM »
Thanx for the analysis Daryl!   

The ball goes down just fine for me.   Takes pressure but don't need a hammer.  I'm a hunter and rather have a nice loading combo than one that is tough to get down the bore.   

Definitely a lot more to test. 

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime Сasual Dating
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2019, 06:58:09 PM »
You should try more lube and see how it likes it.

Offline Mauser06

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2019, 07:14:16 PM »
I was going to try melting the mink oil and soaking the patches that way....if for no other reason than to do a bunch at once....

Is it normal for the edges to be that ragged and frayed?   I've never paid much attention to patches before...never even looked at my patches before lol.

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime Сasual Dating
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2019, 07:20:05 PM »
Yours are frayed more than mine and I use the same material. You're using more powder than me and that could be why. The fraying is not really a big deal.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 07:23:29 PM by OldMtnMan »

Offline Daryl

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2019, 07:52:57 PM »
Fraying happens, however it is after the ball leaves the muzzle and is caused by the muzzle blast, the heavier the charge and muzzle
 blast, thus the more fraying there is.  The only detriment I see of fraying, is that if that type of material frays too much, then you might not be able
 to  use the same patch over again. :D
Reclaimed patches can be as accurate as new material. When paying $14.95 per meter, sometimes I pick up my .69's patches and re-use them.
Back when I could see and shoot, I used the same patch for a 5-shot offhand 50 yard target in a demonstration for a fellow I worked with. I picked up & re-lubed
the patch after each shot, loaded, picked up lubed & loaded, etc. The 5-shot group was about 2", about what I was doing back then with that gun.

Here's a few targets we shot with reclaimed patches from my 14 bore rifle, re-used in the .60 Hawken that Taylor re-built.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 12:22:00 AM by Daryl »
Daryl

Offline Mauser06

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2019, 04:42:02 AM »
Might fine shooting!   

I HOPE to take a bear this fall with this rifle during our new muzzleloading bear season.  Figured a little heavier charge wouldn't be a bad thing as the area's I hunt have produced 500+ pounders. 

Excited to finish the build and continue range sessions and see what I can get it to do accuracy wise. 

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2019, 05:02:12 AM »
If you go fall bear hunting with the 58 you might want to consider adding about 3% tin to your mix just to help penitration. I have shot 4 bears with a 58 and never got pass through, two holes are better than one if you should have to track one. The fall bears should have more fat on them which can seal up bullet holes at times. Food for thought.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2019, 08:07:54 AM »
Good point on the slightly hardened ball, smylee.  About .015" or so smaller balls (than the bore) with a thicker patch will make for easier loading. Since you are .58 cal., a Lee mould in .562" with a
12oz denim patch should work perfectly.
Daryl