Author Topic: Stephen Crain Sr.  (Read 1590 times)

Offline Danny Jones

• Danny Jones - retired telecom eng.
Stephen Crain Sr.
« on: March 29, 2019, 01:59:25 AM »
Stephen Crain Sr. was my wife's 5th great Grandfather. He was a gunsmith and I would like to find out out if anyone knows anything about him or his rifles. Born in Rowan or Surry Co. NC in 1776 and died in Pontotoc, Ms. In 1859. Married Nancy Sparks in 1800 Franklin Co., Ga. I would love to recreate one of his rifles.
North Louisiana

Offline wildcatter

Re: Stephen Crain Sr.
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2019, 03:06:49 AM »
My notes have him in Warren County NC around 1800, then in Chester County SC from 1810 until about 1830.  I don't have anything after that.  My notes are from Dr. Harley Mackintosh, unfortunately he has passed.  He had a Crain rifle in his collection, was flint, iron mounted, had a spear shaped patchbox and a captured patchbox lid. If I remember right it had a heart design near the tip of the patchbox finial, but don't quote me on that.  May have had a wrist repair... I can't remember, I was interested in the research because he was in SC. I'm sure your family genealogy is better than my cobbled notes, so he may have never been in SC. He is definitely a gunsmith I would be interested in finding out more about. Do you have any notes that puts him making rifles in SC? 

Matt
You have to play this game like somebody just hit your mother with a two-by-four.

Offline cshirsch

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2019, 03:15:18 PM »
From Gun Trade In America, Jerry Noble & Tom Moore. 

Offline Danny Jones

• Danny Jones - retired telecom eng.
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2019, 10:52:35 PM »
Thanks for the replys. Wildcatter, according to Cshirsch list the Crain you have info on is probably Stephen Y. Crain. My Crain is the next one on the list, Stephen Crain Sr. I guess they were both gunsmiths. I'll do some more digging. Thanks to both of you for the help.
North Louisiana