Author Topic: model 1803 lock mortise restoration  (Read 2876 times)

altankhan

model 1803 lock mortise restoration
« on: June 25, 2009, 03:17:09 AM »
Hello, not sure if this should go here, or in another forum.  I recently lucked onto what is left of a later production model 1803 rifle in a local flea market (lock, stock, and barrel).  Converted to percussion and lacking a buttplate, but still mostly there.  My talented woodcarver neighbor, Jack, spent many  hours tediously using solvent and a dental drill/pick to remove a mass of some sort of putty/sawdust mixture from the lock mortise.  Now that we are down to the original wood, it is clear that the lock area was broken and repaired once or twice, with some wood replacement.  Our main problem is, how to deal with the lack of wood in the mortise area?  It is very thin and nearly hollowed out in some areas.  While I have encountered untouched guns with "caves" for lock mortises, this is an extreme -- and very weak.  Any ideas on how to proceed (a better filler, wood patches, etc.?).  I'm posting a few photos which might be of help.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Photos:

[

Offline Curt Larsen

Re: model 1803 lock mortise restoration
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 04:26:10 AM »
For starters, go to the members list and look up holzwurm (AKA Jerry Crawford) and click on the recent posts.  Go down to number 15 and the following one and you'll see how he went after this type of problem.  He has some nice photos showing what he did to fill the hogged-mortice.  It's a lot of work, but maybe it would be worth it on the 1803.
Curt

altankhan

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 05:05:06 AM »
Thanks very much for the lead -- I'm trying to get a sense of what currently is acceptable for this sort of restoration...

ak

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 11:13:24 PM »
I'm not familiar with the lock mortise area of an 1803, but I'd just find a good picture of what is suppose to be there, and add wood to rebuild it. Then you could dirty up the new wood to disguise it and blend it with the old.
I doubt adding the new wood would detract from the value because you'll just be adding to something that is already lost.
John
John Robbins

J.D.

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2009, 08:49:31 PM »
Someone posted photos of a lock mortise that had been hogged out, that they had repaired by inletting new wood into the mortise. A search in the archives of either the new board or old board should turn up something.