Author Topic: Building a Lancaster Rifle  (Read 25957 times)

Online Bill Raby

Re: Building a Lancaster Rifle
« Reply #100 on: February 08, 2020, 08:17:37 AM »
Here is Part 54

Online Bill Raby

« Reply #101 on: February 08, 2020, 08:19:43 AM »
Here is Part 55

Online Bill Raby

« Reply #102 on: February 15, 2020, 04:56:01 AM »
Here is Part 56

fjohnson

« Reply #103 on: February 15, 2020, 08:10:30 PM »
bill--what brand and where did you get your rifflers?

Online Bill Raby

« Reply #104 on: February 15, 2020, 08:50:04 PM »
Rifflers are made by Grobet. Amazon and a number of other places have them.

fjohnson

« Reply #105 on: February 19, 2020, 06:17:10 AM »
bill  thank you for the info on your rifflers   i really enjoy watching your videos--keep em comin

Online Bill Raby

« Reply #106 on: February 22, 2020, 03:57:55 AM »
Here is Part 57

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #107 on: February 22, 2020, 10:58:22 AM »
Bill, I haven't watched your Lancaster build yet. But your Fusil de Chasse series of videos were great. Keep up the good work.

Mike

Offline JLayne

« Reply #108 on: February 22, 2020, 02:25:49 PM »
Hello,
Thanks again for these videos. They are very helpful. I have one more question on your Grobet riffler files. Looking on Amazon, I see that they are Swiss pattern and come in different cuts (i.e., degrees of coarseness such as #0 or #2, etc. ).What cut # are the ones you are using in the video?

Thanks,
Jay

Online Bill Raby

« Reply #109 on: February 22, 2020, 06:35:04 PM »
The cut is #2.

Online Bill Raby

« Reply #110 on: February 29, 2020, 03:35:25 AM »
Here is Part 58

Offline elkhorne

« Reply #111 on: March 01, 2020, 06:39:17 AM »
Bill,
Great videos and love the carving ones. Been to classes and you show more than I saw in several classes. One other question to bug you about the riddlers you use. As they are fairly pricey, do you have a few recommended Grobet numbers we could start with for our carving tool set and already see you use cut #2. Thanks and enjoy the videos and your narrative.
elkhorne

Online Bill Raby

« Reply #112 on: March 01, 2020, 08:59:33 AM »
Rifflers are one of those tools that rarely get used, but are very nice to have when you need them. I only have a few of them and I need to get some more. The ones that I used in the video obviously got a lot of use. I think a small knife edge riffler would be very useful. Any of the small rifflers with a tight curve would be useful. Which ones to get is going to depend a lot on the carving design that you are doing. Its like the gouges for carving. You start off with a few of them and make do with what you have. Then over time build up a good collection of them.

Online Bill Raby

« Reply #113 on: March 06, 2020, 10:34:18 PM »
Here is Part 59

Online Bill Raby

« Reply #114 on: March 13, 2020, 07:35:45 AM »
THE RIFLE IS FINISHED!!! I just finished it up tonight. Its not perfect, but it came out very nice and I like it. I will keep getting videos out every week until the end. Now it is time for video editing and a week or two of engraving practice. Then I will start on the next one. I will be doing video for that also. Hopefully I will have the video ready to start for that by the time the last video on this one is posted. If not, it will only be a short wait until it starts. This video series will probably go to part 66 to 68 depending on how the editing goes.

Offline elkhorne

« Reply #115 on: March 13, 2020, 07:54:43 AM »
Bill,
Your series of videos on the Haines rifle build the most comprehensive of all I have ever seen. You showed techniques and steps none of the commercial builds ever showed. Thank you very much for all you have done and look forward to your next build. I have seen you use your bee block set up obviously from your jewelry background but we have never seen the whole set up. It looks so handy so if possible, can you show the set up to all some time and explain so we might be able to make something similar. Thanks again.
elkhorne

Online Bill Raby

« Reply #116 on: March 13, 2020, 01:42:03 PM »
Bill,
Your series of videos on the Haines rifle build the most comprehensive of all I have ever seen. You showed techniques and steps none of the commercial builds ever showed. Thank you very much for all you have done and look forward to your next build. I have seen you use your bee block set up obviously from your jewelry background but we have never seen the whole set up. It looks so handy so if possible, can you show the set up to all some time and explain so we might be able to make something similar. Thanks again.
elkhorne

https://www.riogrande.com/product/bench-pin-with-metal-holder/110011

Online Bill Raby

« Reply #117 on: March 14, 2020, 03:27:45 AM »
Here is Part 60

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #118 on: March 14, 2020, 05:49:44 PM »
Bill, I like your statement that you are doing the best job that you at this stage of your abilities at this time.

That is something that we should strive for.

That engraving is tons better than I can do at this time.  Maybe next year, but I will keep trying to improve.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Online Bill Raby

« Reply #119 on: March 14, 2020, 07:36:49 PM »
I want to do engraving like what you see in the fancy picture books. Its not going to happen! Maybe in 10 years, but not now. I think the trick is to practice on work that is far beyond my ability. The results are rather poor, but I am really challenging myself. When I go back to something a bit more my skill level I can do a good job.

This is my gun with the airgraver. I am happy with it. I probably see a lot more flaws than anyone else. I want to really push it on the next gun. Engraving is something I want to put some effort into.

Offline elkhorne

« Reply #120 on: March 15, 2020, 06:01:10 AM »
Bill,
I took John Shipper’s engraving class at Conners Prairie last Fall and we used hammer and chisel. He has a practice pattern #1 that he has all his students do and his guidance is to practice 15 minutes a day. He told us you learn and improve more and faster practicing like this than spending 8 hours a day once a week. It is still hard to build a habit for 15 minutes a day because something is always pulling you away. You just have to be flexible and persevere! By the way, is your Lindsay engraver the palm control or the foot control? You did a great job on your “first effort” and should be very proud of it.
elkhorne

Online Bill Raby

« Reply #121 on: March 21, 2020, 07:35:16 AM »
Here is Part 61

Offline vtmtnman

« Reply #122 on: March 21, 2020, 06:25:41 PM »
I've been following this from Vid #1.I can't thank you enough for these.I've learned a ton out of them.I'm gonna start the fusil series when this one is done.I wish that series was on YouTube before I got my kit and butchered it,as there is vituarlly no info on building the Fusil de chasse..Hands down best videos on gun building on You Tube.

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #123 on: March 21, 2020, 06:30:51 PM »
Can’t wait to see the finished product Bill. You said an English Big Bore is next?

Online Bill Raby

« Reply #124 on: March 21, 2020, 09:49:07 PM »
Yes. Next one will be a big English rifle. I will start work on that one next week. Right now all I am doing is engraving practice. I will start posting the videos for the English rifle when all of them for the lancaster rifle are up. I will try to keep posting a new video every week but not sure how it is going to go. I still have to get a few tools for it. Problem is that I have no idea if I will still have a job on monday. Every day I call in at 5:30 AM to see if I still have a job. So I am not spending any money things calm down again. Good part is that it will be a little while before I need any tools that I don't have yet. This nonsense won't last forever.