Author Topic: Building a Lancaster Rifle  (Read 25925 times)

Offline BillF/TRF

Re: Building a Lancaster Rifle
« Reply #125 on: March 21, 2020, 10:25:42 PM »
watched your latest video on engraving and noticed you used an abrasive rubber wheel to remove some scratches on the brass pieces.  I don't have the kind of rotary tool you are using.  I use a Dremel and noticed that Dremel has some rotary attachments that look like circular pieces of ScotchBrite pads on a shaft.  They range from about 120 to 320 grit.  Do you think they would work to get rid of an "oops" on a piece of brass? Or, would your type of wheel work on a Dremel rotary tool?

Offline Bill Raby

« Reply #126 on: March 21, 2020, 11:44:52 PM »
I think I would avoid using a dremel for something like that. Difference is that the tool I am using has foot pedal speed control and the motor is separate from the hand piece. It gives you lot more control over what you are doing. It looks simple in the video, but it is very easy to turn a small oops into a huge oops. You really need a pretty light touch to do it. Pretty sure the those little abrasive wheels that I used are 3000 grit.

This what I am using
https://www.riogrande.com/product/foredom-tx301-flex-shaft-system/117588
https://www.riogrande.com/product/foredom-h-30-key-type-chuck-handpiece/117089
https://www.riogrande.com/category/tools-and-equipment/polishing-and-finishing/abrasives/abrasive-wheels#t=products&sort=relevancy&layout=card&numberOfResults=36&f:categoryfilter=[Tools%20%26%20Equipment,Polishing%20%26%20Finishing,Abrasives,Abrasive%20Wheels]

Offline Bill Raby

« Reply #127 on: March 28, 2020, 01:07:54 AM »
Here is Part 62

Offline Bill Raby

« Reply #128 on: April 04, 2020, 07:48:16 AM »
Here is Part 63

Offline Bill Raby

« Reply #129 on: April 11, 2020, 12:21:47 AM »
Here is Part 64

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #130 on: April 11, 2020, 09:10:56 PM »
Nice work, Bill - you are really catching on to this gun building thing!  Actually, a lot better than some of the work I've seen over the years.

Couple things:  Carding can also be done with a wire wheel from supplier like Brownell's.  They have a couple great wire wheels, one with .0025 SS "bristles" that are actually very, very soft.  I've hit my fingers several times - no damage.  The bristles will not damage the colored metal, they just brush off the rust. They are about $25.  For hand carding, a Carding brush they have does a great job.  Oh, the wheel has a 1/4" center hole, so you can drill it to fit your arbor.

Also, if the builder wants a blued gun, rather than a browned one, the only thing needed is boiling water for a few minutes - changes the valence of the iron oxide, which in turn changes the color.  That is how rust bluing is done, just boiling water immersion.  Small pieces are easy, do it on the stove top.  Barrels really need a small trough with a couple burners to heat the water.

That is going to be a right nifty firearm when you are done -raffle it off and you might make some money.  Or not.....
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Bill Raby

« Reply #131 on: April 12, 2020, 01:29:15 AM »
I will definitely be getting one of those carding wheels for the next one. The rust bluing comes in Part 65.

Offline Bill Raby

« Reply #132 on: April 18, 2020, 02:02:43 AM »
Here is Part 65

Offline Bill Raby

« Reply #133 on: April 24, 2020, 10:50:47 PM »
Here is Part 66

Offline Bill Raby

« Reply #134 on: May 01, 2020, 11:32:45 PM »
Here is Part 67. This is the last one. The rifle is finished.

Offline Vulcan

• Starting Member
« Reply #135 on: May 02, 2020, 12:53:32 AM »
That was an amazing series. Can't thank you enough for taking the time and effort in putting together such an imformative tuorial.

Kudos on a beautiful rifle as well!

Offline Bill Raby

« Reply #136 on: May 02, 2020, 04:07:50 AM »
The next one starts next week.

Offline Capt Steve

• Starting Member
« Reply #137 on: May 02, 2020, 05:05:21 AM »
Bill
Thank you for taking the time to make these videos. I’ve followed from day one and have really enjoyed them. Your work with a chisel is very impressive. Keep up the good work.

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #138 on: May 02, 2020, 05:17:41 AM »
Thanks again Bill. Your efforts have given new builders a full flavor of how a longrifle goes from blank to finished gun. I look forward to your next creation.

Offline Bill Raby

« Reply #139 on: May 02, 2020, 06:18:10 AM »
   I have heard from quite a few people that say the videos got them to realize that it is something they can actually do. I always like those comments.

Offline elkhorne

« Reply #140 on: May 04, 2020, 10:44:26 PM »
Bill,
Thank you for all the hard work you put into this video series! It was the most detailed one I have ever seen. Been to several classes and learned things from you that were never ever shown or discussed in any class. I wish someone would have done the job you have just done many years ago. The muzzle loading community owes you a debt of gratitude. Through this series, you were able to show detailed instruction and explanations never seen before on any video production. If my math is correct, you just gave folks the equivalent of almost 34 hours of instruction. I am working my way through the series taking notes so as I build, I can go to the appropriate videos to study your techniques. One request for the future that would also help us in the community out greatly, would be to do an episode just showing, describing and maybe give sources to get some of the speciality tools you use in your builds. Otherwise thanks very much and learned a ton and even better yet, the reason and logic behind what and why you did a step a certain way. Looking forward to your next series.
elkhorne

Offline Dave Marsh

« Reply #141 on: May 04, 2020, 11:35:39 PM »
Ditto on what Elkhorne said.  Now the only thing I need to learn is the patience you have....haven't gotten that down.  Thank you.

Dave
"Those who give up freedom for security deserve neither freedom nor security."
~ Benjamin Franklin

Deuce50

« Reply #142 on: May 04, 2020, 11:40:06 PM »
This video series is what pushed me to finally pull the trigger on my first build!  We'll see how it goes...  Thanks Bill!

Offline Bill Raby

« Reply #143 on: May 05, 2020, 02:57:11 AM »
   The next rifle is well under way and I will start posting the videos for that this weekend. This one will have a number of things on it that I have not done on video before. I will be making a few parts from scratch and doing a lot of modification on others. So far I have gone into a lot of detail on the breech plug. I am spending a lot of time on barrel inletting also. That is one part that everyone seems to afraid of. This one should be a lot of fun.

The Lancaster series turned out to be a lot longer than I planned on. But that's fine. No idea how long this next will turn out to be. I don't really plan anything out. I just ramble on as I am working and point out anything that seems to be relevant. I will probably do a video just on tools sometime. I am waiting for a few to come in so that will probably be in a little while.

I am glad to hear that all of you are enjoying the videos. I have fun doing it.

Offline MuttCat

• Starting Member
« Reply #144 on: May 05, 2020, 01:57:06 PM »
Hello Bill, just wanted to say I've really enjoyed your videos.  Thanks man, I've learned a few things and now I'm motivated to build a Hawken of some sort soon...full stock.  I believe you did a Hawken earlier?  Once your Haines rifle is done I'm headed for those vids.

Offline Bill Raby

« Reply #145 on: May 06, 2020, 12:01:03 AM »
I have never built a Hawken rifle before. The previous series was a fusil-de-chasse and a Tennessee rifle. Next one will be a big English rifle. The style is much different than a Hawken, but there are many similarities in how they are built. That series starts up This weekend.

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #146 on: May 06, 2020, 12:20:54 AM »
I have never built a Hawken rifle before. The previous series was a fusil-de-chasse and a Tennessee rifle. Next one will be a big English rifle. The style is much different than a Hawken, but there are many similarities in how they are built. That series starts up This weekend.

Lay er on us Bill. I can't wait. Watching your videos is like watching "The Truman Show", remember that old Jim Carey where his whole life was played on a TV show? It could be that the next famous longrifle maker has video'd his journey from beginner to putting 'Bill Raby' on a brass sideplate!  ;)

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #147 on: May 06, 2020, 06:01:14 AM »
You really need to give your dog a speaking role.  We all know that it is the dog that does all the off-camera work!

Looking forward to this weekend - I, too, am building a Hawken - a full stock plains rifle.  Nice Don Stith kit that I lucked into.  And yep, Sunny Dog tells me what to do, and right now she is telling me to take her our.  Jimminy Christmas, it's after 11 pm, Dog!
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Bill Raby

« Reply #148 on: May 06, 2020, 06:24:11 AM »
   I have no desire to ever be famous. Any talent or skill that I may have comes from God and I don't get to take any credit for it.

The little dog is not much interested in rifles. She likes to play with her toys. She has lots of them. Also likes to hide her little treasures all over the house. Pretty common to find a duck foot under my pillow. She loves those. And of course she tells me to take her outside. When she gets back she likes to tell the girl with lots of tattoos about all the critters she saw on her big adventure.

Offline Obi2winky

« Reply #149 on: May 06, 2020, 08:04:03 PM »
I learned a lot and enjoyed the entire series. Thank you for doing these videos! Looking forward to the elephant gun