Author Topic: Looking for info on Ohio builder Dick Bingham  (Read 4010 times)

Offline JSperry

• Starting Member
Looking for info on Ohio builder Dick Bingham
« on: April 07, 2019, 05:10:39 AM »
I recently met a fellow with a beautiful rifle that was built and antiqued by Dick Bingham.  I would like to know where in Ohio Dick worked and how long he built rifles.   I’ve seen several Ohio rifles by Cecil Brooks and Larry Bryner but this was my first Dick Bingham Rifle. 

upload image

realtorone

Re: Looking for info on Ohio builder Dick Bingham
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2019, 03:02:48 AM »
I think I may have one of his cards,but Ill have to find it. If memory serves me correct he did work for Jim Johnston,Golden Age Arms. I'll post something if I can locate the business card.

George

galudwig

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2019, 05:55:54 AM »
I think I may have one of his cards,but Ill have to find it. If memory serves me correct he did work for Jim Johnston,Golden Age Arms. I'll post something if I can locate the business card.

George

George reminded me that I have one of his cards too. Dick Bingham lives near West Union in Adams Co., Ohio. I remember seeing and admiring his rifles at some of the CLA shows when they were still held in Erlanger, KY in the late 90's. I seem to recall that he developed health issues in the mid-2000's and that he eventually stopped building guns. The card I have is pretty old, but it has his contact info. PM me if you would like that info. I also found him on Facebook, but his page hasn't been updated since 2014. His profile lists him as a "self-employed artist in Golden age firearms (from 1997-2011)." Make sure to check out the Facebook page as there are many interesting photos there including his visit with Hershel House at the 2012 Gun Makers Seminar at Canters Cave, OH.  Dick has to be in his late 70's by now.

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2019, 03:49:33 PM »
She’s a pretty rifle
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

realtorone

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2019, 12:39:33 AM »
galudwig  Glad you found your card, because I have yet to find mine. Jim Johnston introduced  me to Dick at Friendship sometime in the 90's,Jim was trying to make a trade with me which would have given me a Bingham rifle for one I had which Jim wanted.

George

Offline porchdog48

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2019, 02:19:48 AM »
You may try contacting the Association of Ohio Long Rifle Collectors.

Dave

Offline JSperry

• Starting Member
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2019, 02:54:17 AM »
Hello Dave,
I am a member of the AOLRC and attended the show last weekend in Marietta.   I could not find anyone there that knew or had heard of Dick Bingham.   
Jeff

Offline Top Jaw

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2019, 05:08:02 PM »
I saw a post on another site that said dick Bingham had passed away a few years back. Which probably coincides with the last Facebook post mentioned above.

Offline JSperry

• Starting Member
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2019, 07:36:47 PM »
Thank you!   

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2019, 10:57:45 PM »
Dick did indeed work for Jim Johnston at Golden Age Arms for quotes a while. He lived and worked above Jim's shop in Ashley, Ohio before moving to Union County. Sick suffered from the dreaded it "C" word and in the end it beat him. I too have some of dick's work and he was an exceptional craftsman.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 07:54:52 PM by smokinbuck »
Mark

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2019, 11:36:06 PM »
The only thing I can say it that your rifle is magnificent.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

galudwig

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2019, 04:19:34 AM »
Sick did indeed work for Jim Johnston at Golden Age Arms for quotes a while. He lived and worked above Jim's shop in Ashley, Ohio before moving to Union County. Sick suffered from the dreaded it "C" word and in the end it beat him. I too have some of dick's work and he was an exceptional craftsman.

Thanks for the clarification. I did not know that he had passed. He was most certainly a talented gunmaker!

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2019, 11:19:27 PM »
Two things,#1 a correction. Dick passed away in Adams County, not Union County as I previously stated. #2 there is currently a Dick Bingham rifle for sale on another site. PM me if you want to look for it.
Mark
Mark

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2019, 02:40:18 AM »
I remember talking to him at F-ship  not so long ago....at least it seems it wasn't that long ago.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2019, 06:36:05 PM »
Time flies Mike. Dick passed away at least 15 years ago, maybe more.
Mark
Mark