Author Topic: Information  (Read 1767 times)

Offline Feltwad

Information
« on: April 05, 2019, 09:56:33 AM »
Information please on a percussion rifle that I viewed a day ago  maker   B.C.Wood  P.Post  N.Y .It has a 30inch  hexagon barrel 6 groves rifling . back action lock  fitted with I would say a later peep sight on the tang of the standing breech. Off late  over the last two years there has been an increase in American made  antique flint and percussion  rifle coming up at auction here in the UK
Feltwad

Offline JV Puleo

Re: Information
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2019, 05:23:53 PM »
Barry C. Wood in Painted Post NY. Active 1842-1876 and maybe later. Swinney says he was born in 1817 and was still alive in 1891. He appears to have been a prolific maker - the Swinney book on NY gunmakers devotes 6-1/2 pages to him.

My experience has been that when rifles of this period show up in British auctions, more often than not they are in excellent condition. That leads me to think they may have come home with British visitors to America n the 19th century. We know from American sources that British visitors, attracted by the hunting, were fairly common. A friend of mine went to the Holt's sale and bought the rifle you showed here a few years ago. I saw it shortly after and it seemed to fall into that category... well taken care of but rarely shot.

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2019, 10:31:52 PM »
Thanks for the information it comes up for auction next week will let you know what it makes
Feltwad

Barry C. Wood in Painted Post NY. Active 1842-1876 and maybe later. Swinney says he was born in 1817 and was still alive in 1891. He appears to have been a prolific maker - the Swinney book on NY gunmakers devotes 6-1/2 pages to him.

My experience has been that when rifles of this period show up in British auctions, more often than not they are in excellent condition. That leads me to think they may have come home with British visitors to America n the 19th century. We know from American sources that British visitors, attracted by the hunting, were fairly common. A friend of mine went to the Holt's sale and bought the rifle you showed here a few years ago. I saw it shortly after and it seemed to fall into that category... well taken care of but rarely shot.

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2019, 03:34:18 PM »
Has promised this gun was sold at auction  for the hammer price of £420  plus commission  total price£545.74p, a very good price .
Feltwad