Author Topic: Choice of caliber  (Read 2282 times)

Offline hawkeye

Choice of caliber
« on: April 16, 2019, 12:38:15 PM »
Have a question about flintlock caliber.
Want a flintlock to shoot 100 yards. What caliber shoots more accurate? A .50 or. 54 or should I go to a. 62 caliber?

Offline alacran

Re: Choice of caliber
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2019, 01:12:24 PM »
You can get all those calibers as well as others to shoot accurately at a 100 yards. If target shooting is what you want to do, a .45 would be my choice. If hunting is what you intend then a .54 would be my choice. The game you are after will be a factor.
Not saying the other calibers would be a poor choice.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2019, 01:32:48 PM »
Go with the .54, it will do all and more than either of those calibers.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline hawkeye

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2019, 01:46:14 PM »
should be actually for 100 yards prone target shooting with sling, would a .45 be good to deal with windage?

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2019, 03:45:46 PM »
should be actually for 100 yards prone target shooting with sling, would a .45 be good to deal with windage?

A faster ball is exposed to the wind for less time.  Driving bigger RB's fast gives more increased recoil, overall weight and stock design will play into how much recoil is felt/tolerated. 

Plenty of considerations to look at, but no spherical projectile is any more/less "inherently accurate" than any other-asbestos I got it figured.   :P
Hold to the Wind

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2019, 04:19:35 PM »
For target shooting at 100 yards prone, I would go with a cut rifled .40 caliber with a 1in 56 twist, preferably with wide grooves, and narrow lands. A friend had a Bill Large barreled gun with these barrel specifications, that at a hundred yards was nearly unbeatable.

Hungry Horse

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Finest Сasual Dating - Verified Women
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2019, 04:39:18 PM »
I use nothing but a .54, but i'm a hunter. For just target shooting i'd use what's recommended in this thread.

Online Daryl

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2019, 09:34:11 PM »
Have a question about flintlock caliber.
Want a flintlock to shoot 100 yards. What caliber shoots more accurate? A .50 or. 54 or should I go to a. 62 caliber?

The larger the bore, the higher the Bal.Coef. of the ball, so at an equal velocity, the higher the B.C., the flatter it will shoot and the less it will be effected by the elements - wind, etc.
Thus, the larger the bore, the better/greater the "POTENTIAL" accuracy.
With large bores, comes heavy weight of ball and VERY large powder charges to get the speed that will give the desired flat shooting and resistance to the effects of the elements.
That spells recoil.
For accuracy shooting out to 100 yards only, I would suggest .50 to .54 cal.
If you want the best accuracy further out, then I would suggest upwards of .62.
I watched Taylor make a 2 1/2", 5-shot group at 200yards with his .62 Hawken, using a .610" ball and 130gr. 2F, that he built to beat my .69, at that game.
It came close, however not many people like shooting "her".
This, an offhand shot at 200yards, the rifle was horizontal to start. The charge is a mere 140gr. 2F GOEX, 25gr. under it's preferred load.

Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2019, 09:37:58 PM »
My smallest 100 yard groups with the .40, .45 and .50 have been equal in size.  My .54 seems to do about the same with the limited 100 yd shooting I've done.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2019, 10:32:02 PM »
Daryl, I,m curious what the drop at comb and heel is on that carniverous (sp) 69 of yours. It looks like it pivots somewhat but probably not as much as say a 58 or 62 with a lot of drop. Just curious.

Offline J Henry

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2019, 11:01:19 PM »
  The most accurate rifle you will ever own is the one you practice with the most.I have 45 and 50 cal.makes no difference which one I shoot,depending on what I am hunting,Know the limitations of the rifle and more important the limitations of the shooter,and you will do fine. I started out Archery Hunting,,if you can't see them blink get closer was how I was taught,carried over in my rifle HUNTING as well Concide the cost of powder and ball the 45 is less costly to shoot,but why concern your self with such worries, just go shoot when your finish clean the rifle and enjoy some time on the range.Your leaving just like you showed up,,naked and cold with luck you won't be crying,someone might be trying to get you to breath,just like the first time.
     I like both the and my 50 and 45.. get one of both.you will after awhile.

Offline alacran

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2019, 01:15:42 PM »
I don't know what type of competition is out there for 100 yard prone shooting using a sling, with PRB.
I have shot .45 at hundred yard buffalo matches( cross sticks) and did quite well with it.
Heavy loads in heavy rifles weighing in at just under 14 lbs.
If you are planning to shoot prone, the larger calibers are going to wear you down with recoil.  A 110 grain load of 3f in a .45 in a heavy rifle is not too bad as far as recoil. A 130 grain load of 2f in a .54, will beat you up pretty good shooting prone. Don't even want to think about larger bores.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Online Daryl

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2019, 08:21:44 PM »
You will not have fun shooting prone with a big bore - ask Taylor.
Smylee - you are right, the rifle pivots on large charge recoil, driving the shoulder down, which lifts the cheek off the
stock. It has never smoked me on the cheek - however the accidental "proof" shot of 330gr. 2F lifted me into the standing
position off the 'chunk' I was sitting on.
Drop at the comb is 2", drop at the heal is 2 3/4".
My buddy Brad holding 'her'. Brad passed 2010, Oct.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 08:36:13 PM by Dennis Glazener »
Daryl

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2019, 10:44:09 PM »
I shoot a lot of "prone" with heavier calibers in round ball or .45 bullets    A shooting jacket with elbow pads is a real plus, since I find that other wise ,  my elbows take a beating along with my shoulder and neck. That said, I would advise anyone getting into this type of shooting to invest in a P.A.S.T. recoil pad. I have the larger one and wear it religiously when shooting prone. It is a marvel !!

Offline hawkeye

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2019, 02:10:10 PM »
Hi guys,
i'm from Belgium, sadly to say but whe have strict gun regulations and hunting with blackpowder guns is not allowed.
I guess born on the wrong side of the pound. whe can only shoot on regular shooting ranges. only paper targets allowed
that's why whe shoot prone on 110 yard targets or standing off hand on 50 yards. looking for a gun (flintlock) to do the job ,but don't wonna go like most over here on a Pedersoli mortimer .54. and if a smaller caliber would do the job is great, after a building construction retired older shooter I am, have to spare my back ?

shot off hand flintlocks ,but not 100 yards
that's why I hope to find advise

Online Daryl

« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2019, 09:36:18 PM »
I would build a VERY accurate .45 or .50 with those restrictions. Learn to shoot it and experiment (experimentation is NEVER done) to find it's best accuracy.

I have witness Taylor, shooting a VERY tight load in a .50 cal. Tonges barrel on a flintlock rifle, shoot a 5-shot group at 100 meters (109yds) that we could cover

with a tea cup. For those who have only coffee mugs or beer mugs, that was a 3", 5-shot group.

Thus, given proper sights for prone shooting, one should be able to shoot a 1 1/2", 5-shot prone group at that range & with THAT rifle. Open sights? - maybe 2" depending

on your eyesight and capabilities, after all, with good sights and eye sight, one should be able to bench 1/2" to 3/4" at 50 yards.
Daryl