Author Topic: Shot Loading Proceedure  (Read 1117 times)

Offline Nhgrants

Shot Loading Proceedure
« on: April 20, 2019, 02:29:09 PM »
This is a very basic question but I will ask it anyways.  First I will say that I have added a large diameter
Brass tip to the ramrod for my 16 gauge smooth bore flint lock that has a 44 inch barrel.

When loading shot loads, that are using combinations of over powder cards, over shot cards and
Lubed wads, how do you avoid air pocket compression in the barrel?
Does every thing above the  powder go down as one unit?
Or after the over powder cards and shot are air release nicks cuts or holes added to wads a shot.
 Thanks

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Shot Loading Proceedure
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2019, 03:22:08 PM »
Many ways to do this. This is how I did it. Dump powder. Start nitro card and lubed fiber wad and push them down together. Dump shot then follow with over shot card. Lots of guys load all sorts of combinations of cards and wads, you'll have to find out what works in your gun. But mainly, when you have some cards and wads in a row, ram them down together.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline snapper

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2019, 03:29:15 PM »
I dont own a flint shotgun, but do shoot several percussion.   This wont matter to you, but lifting the hammer off of the nipple, this helps release the air pocket.

I also load just like Mike said.

Fleener
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline Brokennock

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2019, 03:53:18 PM »
I used to keep nicked and whole thin overshot cards in a decided tin and place the card without a nick directly on the powder then a lubed felt wad, then paper shot cup/cartridge, then a nicked card or 2.
Now I build the whole load at the muzzle, after pouring my powder, and send it all home at once. No more air pocket issues.

If you look to the lower right in the tin of thin cards you will see a small piece of hardwood dowel tapered to one end and with a 20 gauge flat face jag affixed to the other. This allows me to set the cards and wads just inside the muzzle without them tipping.

Offline Longknife

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2019, 04:41:03 PM »
This is a very basic question but I will ask it anyways.  First I will say that I have added a large diameter
Brass tip to the ramrod for my 16 gauge smooth bore flint lock that has a 44 inch barrel.

When loading shot loads, that are using combinations of over powder cards, over shot cards and
Lubed wads, how do you avoid air pocket compression in the barrel?
Does every thing above the  powder go down as one unit?
Or after the over powder cards and shot are air release nicks cuts or holes added to wads a shot.
 Thanks

I do it the simple way,,, when loading I just put the card vertically between my teeth and bite it,,,,Ed
Ed Hamberg

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2019, 04:43:27 PM »
In summer when I use green leaves as wads, no worries about this.
For "proper ' wads, if they build up too much air pressure, (for the one over the shot)  Bite them around the edges to nick them and they'll ram down smooth.
Paper works for wads, as does "Spanish" moss.  All seem to shoot the same patterns as far as I could tell.
(Used the leaves so's not to set fire to the fields at harvest time.) 

Best,
R.

Ed, Indeed. You beat me to it!