Author Topic: GPR Touch Hole/Vent Liner-Which One-Lyman or RMC?  (Read 5448 times)

fdf

GPR Touch Hole/Vent Liner-Which One-Lyman or RMC?
« on: June 27, 2009, 08:26:32 PM »
Thanks for the help on my last question.

Given a choice for a GPR Flintlock Lyman vent liner/ touch hole, would you chose the Lyman or RMC.  I have no knowledge of either.  I see some advantages to the Lyman, remove with a screw driver and the RMC is removed with an allen wrench. To me, I wonder if the RMC will strip out sooner since it uses an allen wrench to remove it versus a screw driver?

Some background information:  I am only going to shoot the rifle in line matches and in flintlock Ag's. Thus, it is not going to be shot a lot considering most matches are percussion.

I want to get three (3) spare liners.  Given a choice, what would you put in your box?

Thanks

fdf

frontier gander

Re: GPR Touch Hole/Vent Liner-Which One-Lyman or RMC?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 09:03:45 PM »
i used the RMC in my GPR. I currently use one in my traditions kentucky. Its very reliable.

Scott Semmel

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 10:31:25 PM »
I started with slotted liners, T/C, Dixie and Lyman, there was a time I thought the allen wrench liners were an improvement over the orignal liners you get with the above guns.
I now have Mr Chambers liners in all the rifles I shoot and have no desire to return to removable liners.
Why do you want spare liners?

fdf

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 12:05:20 AM »
In my question on "Touch Hole/Vent Liner Life Expectancy", it was recommended to have a spare. "   Thus, I thought I would get some spares.  For inexpensive things, spares are cheaper than shipping and handling.

In all honesty, I do not travel to shoots without spares for the most part of everything that I have.

Thanks

fdf 

40Haines

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2009, 12:42:53 AM »

I have used both and have no preference.

As soon as either one shows some slop in it (slot or hex), I throw it away and replace it.

It helps to hog out the hole a bit.

Anti-seeze is a good idea also.

That being said the Chambers is a superior product to to either one of them.

fdf

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2009, 01:02:09 AM »
I have only heard great things about his products, but unfortunately, he does not make one to fit the Lyman GPR.

fdf

Scott Semmel

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2009, 06:10:26 AM »
The white lightning liners require drilling and tapping for all applications that I know of. To install one you only need the tap and bit that you can also get from Chambers. If you have access to a drill press it is almost a foolprof process. Of course in installing one the finish usually get marred when filling it flush, so you need some cold bluing to hide the bare metal.

Daryl

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2009, 04:16:04 PM »
The white lightning liners require drilling and tapping for all applications that I know of. To install one you only need the tap and bit that you can also get from Chambers. If you have access to a drill press it is almost a foolprof process. Of course in installing one the finish usually get marred when filling it flush, so you need some cold bluing to hide the bare metal.

Such is life when you want to use the best.  Chamber's liners are all we use and Taylor has re-placed the 'issue' liners on a few GPR's for guys. No big deal. Better ignition and not unsightly as are the removable ones. 

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2009, 11:35:53 PM »
Lyman liners need extensive modification to function properly. I have done this for numerous people who shoot imported rifles.
A year or so ago a buddy bought a Cabela's flint and I went to the RMC site to check out the liners. These already had almost the same mods already done to them so I told him to buy a few of these. Drilled it out 1 number drill and it functons flawless.
So I'd go with the RMC.
American horses of Arabian descent.