Author Topic: Flintlock Vs. Percussion Rifle Prices  (Read 9758 times)

fdf

Flintlock Vs. Percussion Rifle Prices
« on: June 27, 2009, 09:39:45 PM »
It's hot and to hot to go outside, so I am reading and wondering.

On a known site, I was looking at rifles, flintlocks and percussion offered for sale. 

I have realized for a long time that flintlock rifles bring appreciably more money than percussion rifles.  This assumption is based on custom/semi-custom made rifles and prices asked.

How come?

fdf 

roundball

Re: Flintlock Vs. Percussion Rifle Prices
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 10:05:51 PM »
Assuming all other aspects of two MLs are the same...the only differences should be that a Flint lock assembly may cost $20-$25 more than a Cap lock assembly.

Flint and caplock barrels are the same but their breechplugs could be different depending on a snali configuration vs. a drum which simply screws into the place where the vent would normally go.

Given that I'm not sure what real cost differences there would be...if anything you'd think the Flint breechplug would be less expensive to make as its simple, straight, less pieces/parts, etc.

Daryl

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 04:19:48 PM »
I might add that flint rifles usually of an earlier period, are generally more ornate & take longer to build. For factory guns that are available in both flint and percussion, the prices should be identical to cheaper for flint guns as a bolster or patent breach is considerably more expensive than a flint-type breach, passing the few dollars difference between the locks.

Offline David Price

• The Flintlock Shop
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 04:35:13 PM »
From my experience, it seems that flintlock rifles not only sell for more money when they are new, if they are built properly,  hold there value better, and in most cases increase in value.  I see some of the rifles that I have built selling for considerably more than I originally  sold them for.

I don't know why that is, but it seems like it to me.

George F.

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2009, 05:38:22 PM »
Who would want to own a percussion? Who'd admit to it anyway? Sorry, couldn't help myself,  ...Geo.

Levy

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 06:38:46 PM »
I have to admit that I like percussion squirrel rifles.  Sorry, I just can't help myself....James Levy

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2009, 07:14:11 PM »
I have to admit that I like percussion squirrel rifles.  Sorry, I just can't help myself....James Levy

Percussion guns are like chocolate fudge sundies; they sure ain't good for you but sure are a treat for a "once-in-a-while" excursion. 
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Dave K

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2009, 11:12:35 PM »
Flinter, I have to agree. Though it seems I am slowly reverting to everything flint, there are times when a perc. is just as much as a joy to shoot as well. Recently I gave my GPR and CVA Mountain, both in perc., to my daughter and son in-law. In the showing him how to shoot and care for these guns, I of course shot them as well. You know what, it was a treat as well. I don't have a problem with flint at all, but the lightning fast ignition of the perc. guns, I had forgot all about. A fine perc. gun is always welcome at my place as well. Though I would probably have them in PC mode such as a Western Pa. or Vincent style of gun and not a gun that would have been a conversion from flint to perc. JMHO

Offline Dan

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2009, 01:46:28 AM »
Paid more for a flintlock than several cap lock guns and think it was worth it for 2 reasons. I enjoy my time with the flinter because it demands more of me, and gives more in return.  I enjoy embarrassing guys with gas guns at the range when we compare targets. I guess it's an "anybody can pop a cap" thing, even if they can' t hit a bull in the butt.   

When I see ads for both I see art in the flintlock, a tool in the caplock. Make that reason #3.

Offline Dale Halterman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2009, 06:29:41 PM »
If the percussions you are looking at are half stocks versus full stock flinters, there can be a big difference in the cost of the wood. A fancy piece of maple long enough to make a fullstock can cost a lot more than a piece only long enough for a half stock.

And, as Daryl said, if the flinters are more elaborately carved and engraved, that can run the cost up pretty quick, too.

Dale H

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2009, 07:42:19 PM »
 :-[  I shoot flint 95% & hunt flint 95 - 100%.  Shamefully, I have a very fine, super fine actually, US M1841 "Mississippi" rifle replica.  Beautifully rendered.  The M1841 IMHO is the best looking rifle ever issued in the US military.  This thing is spectacularly accurate to boot!  And yes it mounts like a 2x4 when compared with a longrifle.

The 95% - 100% comes from the fact that I took a deer with it a few years ago.  Any gun I get has to earn it's keep, you see.  Cap, flint, doesn't matter; gotta earn it's keep.  Another thing; the M1841 is flat, old fashion, country fun to shoot!  I'm married to flint but still got an eye for "arm candy".  Everybody has warts & feetaclay.  Forgive me.

!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

fdf

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2009, 02:55:49 AM »
Thanks to all for your insight, it does help.

Nice to see different view points and learning from them.

fdf