General discussion > Shop Made Tools

Pan Grinder

(1/3) > >>

James Wilson Everett:
Guys,

Here is a flintlock flashpan grinder tool.  This is used to hollow out the flashpan concave bowl when making a lock.  This job can be frustrating if you do not have the right tool.  The grinder is clamped in a post vise and the grinder is turned with a simple hand crank.  The lock is held under the grinder cutter positioned by blocks of wood to suit.  Really a simple, but necessary, tool for those who really "hand make" a gun.  The third photo shows an in-process lock before the pan hollow is ground or cut.

Here is an old posting using an old original pan grinder that did not work so well.

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=18893.msg178043#msg178043

rich pierce:
Great work.

EC121:
Even if it don't work, it sure is pretty.

David R. Pennington:
Very nice indeed. Have you been able to see original pan grinders to base yours on? I would really like to see how you set up to use it!

James Wilson Everett:
Guys,

One pan grinder illustrated in the Diderot Encyclopedia shows the grinder with replaceable cutters.  Apparently this grinder would be held in a vise, similar to the one I use.  However, the Diderot grinder would be powered by either a belt or a bow drill arrangement as seen by the wide cylindrical sheave on the shaft.  I have found that the grinder is easy to control using a simple hand crank to power the cutter.

Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version