Author Topic: A 19th Century Cherokee's British Cypher Gorget  (Read 1581 times)

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
A 19th Century Cherokee's British Cypher Gorget
« on: May 05, 2019, 02:29:56 AM »
   This is a copy of an original British Cypher Gorget that resides in the Royal Ontario Museum that I recently completed.The original was presented to a Cherokee Warrior(most likely by the British Government) for his service during the Rev. War.The interesting thing is that it was'nt made and presented until early in the 19th Century.This is know as the George III Cypher used was'nt in use until after 1801.My copy left off the inscription on the bottom and carries my touchmark and hallmarks.I included a copy of the original for comparison.

Mitch Yates

Offline Greg Pennell

Re: A 19th Century Cherokee's British Cypher Gorget
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2019, 05:50:19 AM »
Wow!  Mitch, you just keep outdoing your self on these!  Outstanding!

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2019, 01:27:14 PM »
     Hey Mitch,  You are getting good enough at this silversmithing that I wouldn't be surprised that you start riding throughout the country side warning that the "British are coming!"   It is obvious that you love engraving.. All the best   Ron
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2019, 02:52:31 PM »
 Fabulous work All around.

Tim

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2019, 04:32:28 AM »
That is some sweet engraving sir.   God Bless,   Marc

Offline aaronc

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2019, 08:36:21 PM »
Strong work,...always enjoy seeing your silver projects.
- Aaron C
At the work bench.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2019, 12:00:00 AM »
Hi Mitch,
That is awesome!!  The engraving looks so perfect for the object and the beading around the edges is fantastic.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2019, 06:18:36 AM »
Mitch do you have an air engraver or do you chase engrave your silver. Either way it's really nice work.

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2019, 04:20:10 PM »
Thanks everyone for the kind words,they are appreciated!!

Ron
I've got a long long way to go to come close to Paul......he was a master!!!

Brian
I am strictly a hammer and chisel guy.I alway's joke that the reason my engraving looks correct for 18th century items is that I'm a crappy engraver....I have nothing against air gravers and may even buy one at some point but my concern has been that it would make my engraving too clean and  it would no longer have that 18th century feel to it.....So to that end my goal is to be the best at hammer and chisel engraving that I can be....I figure it will take the rest of my life to get "there"!!

Mitch

Offline trentOH

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2019, 01:30:18 PM »
I guess it's time to enlarge my vocabulary. In the context of gorget, what does "cypher" mean???

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2019, 05:06:31 PM »
Trent

In this case the term "cypher" is just another term for the GeorgeIII coat of arms engraved on the gorget. Normally I would just say British Officers Gorget but since this gorget was'nt made for an officer I just used to term cypher in hopes it would be a more accurate way of describing it.

Mitch

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2019, 05:39:36 PM »
.I have nothing against air gravers and may even buy one at some point but my concern has been that it would make my engraving too clean and  it would no longer have that 18th century feel to it
Mitch,
An airgraver can be adjusted to give the H&C effect with stroke length and power settings.

Can you give me a relative size of your gorget?  I bought one years ago and was thinking of piddling around with it but it's a small one that's only 2.25" wide.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2019, 01:54:28 AM »
Thanks Dave,I knew the Enset could be turned way down but was'nt aware the Airgraver went down that low.I'll look into it some more.I'm also kinda waiting for the new unit Chris DeCamillis is coming out with.I'm hoping to demo it at this years CLA maybe......

The gorget pictured is 4 1/2" wide and 5 1/4" high ,pretty close to the original.

Mitch