Author Topic: Clarifying beeswax  (Read 3426 times)

Offline T*O*F

Clarifying beeswax
« on: May 07, 2019, 08:29:49 PM »
I've got a pile of beeswax blocks that are yellow and dirty.  I suspect they still contain some honey.  I want to clarify it so that it's white and clean.  I tried boiling water on the stove in a coffee can, but it wouldn't boil.  Will have to try my fish cooker.  The plan is to boil the water, let the beeswax melt in the water, and let it boil a bit.  Any honey should dissolve into the water and dirt should sink to the bottom.  Let it cool and harden and then remove the hardened wax from the top.  This is how I clarify tallow.

How do you do it?
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
Re: Clarifying beeswax
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2019, 11:43:43 PM »
No expert on this so all I did was put it in really warm water and work it like clay using my hands for the squishing.  I was surprised that it actually worked!
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline snapper

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2019, 01:35:30 AM »
I find that boiling the water actually gets it to hot and I get really small bubbles in the wax.   I dont really like using the water method.  If you can dip it off of the water and use cheese cloth as a filter that helps.

A solar melter is the best IMO.  Cleaner wax that way.  You can make one quick, easy and cheap.  Use cheese cloth as a filter for the solar collector.

I dont mind some bee body pieces and parts in my bullet lube wax.  My theory is that it gives my bullets mystical power of flight.  I dont like that sometimes the bullets will buzz around the targets before going into the target.

Fleener
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2019, 01:42:40 AM »
I'm big on mystical powers. ;)
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline snapper

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2019, 01:49:57 AM »
No one can prove that my bullets dont have mystical powers.  I have a few bulls eyes to my credit at 1,000 yards.  That is the only thing I can think of to explain it.

Fleener

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2019, 02:47:54 AM »
Art,
It seems to me that your lube is white.  My beeswax is a golden yellow which makes me think it's got some honey in it.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline snapper

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2019, 03:02:04 AM »
golden yellow is nice an pure wax.  My white wax is some of the stuff I did in water. 

Take a bite of your wax and see if it is sweet.

fleener

Offline iloco

• Old Timer, Chilhowie, Va.
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2019, 04:19:59 AM »
I use to keep bees and how I melted my wax was a double boiler or you can take a box with about 6 inch sides and lay a piece of glass over the box and set it in the sun with your wax in the box with a piece of metal for the floor of the box. Put a container at the bottom of the box to collect your clean was.
 Link shows a box like I used.
https://www.dadant.com/catalog/extracting/melters/m00505-deluxe-solar-wax-melter-each

You can make one cheaper than what they want for theirs.
iloco

Offline mark esterly

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2019, 04:45:52 AM »
get a crock pot from a thrift store and melt your wax in it.  you can dip out of it and filter if necessary.  only way to get really white wax is to steal new comb from the bees and that is counter productive unless it's burr comb.  i have even tried to sun bleach it in the solar melter with poor results.  if it's yellow it is good clean wax.
living in the hope of HIS coming.......

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2019, 07:43:20 PM »
Many years ago I had the opportunity to buy 35 pounds of "dirty" beeswax which had all kind of bee parts in it. I used a turkey fryer with double boiler system to melt down the wax then used burlap to filter out the big parts until very few bee stuff remained. I then switched to cheese cloth to finish the job. It took a while and was a bit messy but the wax that I ended up with was top shelf stuff. One word of caution - I did this outdoors in the summer and the smell of the melting beeswax drew honey bees from all over to the area. I had to watch out and tried not to get stung.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline Daryl

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2019, 07:55:38 PM »
I find that boiling the water actually gets it to hot and I get really small bubbles in the wax.   I dont really like using the water method.  If you can dip it off of the water and use cheese cloth as a filter that helps.

A solar melter is the best IMO.  Cleaner wax that way.  You can make one quick, easy and cheap.  Use cheese cloth as a filter for the solar collector.

I dont mind some bee body pieces and parts in my bullet lube wax.  My theory is that it gives my bullets mystical power of flight.  I dont like that sometimes the bullets will buzz around the targets before going into the target.

Fleener

Oh yeah - hate the buzzers. Mine usually just buzz off and don' t hit the target.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2019, 08:00:20 AM »
golden yellow is nice an pure wax.  My white wax is some of the stuff I did in water. 

Take a bite of your wax and see if it is sweet.

fleener

Beeswax is a tremendously caustic and toxic agent!! Isn’t it...??

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2019, 03:33:04 PM »
golden yellow is nice an pure wax.
Yeah, but if I make lube out of it people will assume I'm using Bore Butter.   :-\
Dave Kanger

-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline snapper

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2019, 03:47:48 PM »
Beeswax is edible, having similar negligible toxicity to plant waxes, and is approved for food use in most countries

fleener

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2019, 04:13:12 PM »
Well, if you put enough bees wax in a lube formula to change the color, it will crust up at the breech, and can plug hook breeches. I would not use very much bees wax in an recipe I was working on. Bees wax does not play well with extreme heat, or pressure. Muzzleloader generate both.

Hungry Horse

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2019, 04:24:49 PM »
I was taught years ago on the 10% rule. No more than 10 percent beeswax mixed with 90 percent pure Neatsfoot oil. If that is too soft for your area you can go up to 20 percent wax but no more. The old story of "less is more".
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2019, 04:31:39 PM »
Fleener, your use of the bee parts does give new meaning to being allergic to bee stings.  And ya gotta be careful, 'cause bees can fly backwards!
Back in the '60's we used beeswax to lube our .58 cal Minie balls when at target shoots.  Worked very well, but we did have to use very hot water to clean the barrels afterward.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline snapper

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2019, 08:02:50 PM »
Until lat year, I was a bee keeper for quite a few years.  Had up to 12 hives.  Still got the equipment, was going to get some new bees this year, but there is a big shortage right now.  I got down to two hives, and got tired of buying bees last year.

I have made my own lube of equal parts of bees wax and crisco with a dash of olive oil as a bullet lube for years.  Use it in ML and BPCR as a bullet lube for GG bullets.

Never had any adverse issues with the wax in my barrels.  Never needed to clean with hot water.

Fleener

Offline Daryl

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2019, 08:41:16 PM »
S'pose I might try that, Fleener - I've been using Lyman's BP gold and SPG along with 60:40 Beeswax/Vaseline, all great for a black powder. bullet lube.
Yes, I know Vaseline is a petroleum product, but in this mix for BP bullets, it works just as well as the commercial lubes mentioned.
Perhaps the synthesizing changes the Vaseline somewhat, but it sure works well, as noted.
I used this lube on 10, 200gr. R.E.A.L. bullets in my .45 flinter with 70gr. 2F in a row on paper at 50 meters, no wiping, then loaded a .445" ball and .022" denim patch without problem.
No crusty spots & no hard fouling at all.
I do not use BW in patch lube. I use either WWWF+ a tich of NF Oil for target shooting, or Track's Mink Oil or Neetsfoot oil for hunting.
Daryl

Offline snapper

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2019, 11:14:57 PM »
I dont use bees wax for patch lube either.

I have shot thousands of rounds with my bees wax/crisco lube in more then 12 different rifles. 

Fleener

Offline Mad Monk

« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2019, 07:44:12 AM »
S'pose I might try that, Fleener - I've been using Lyman's BP gold and SPG along with 60:40 Beeswax/Vaseline, all great for a black powder. bullet lube.
Yes, I know Vaseline is a petroleum product, but in this mix for BP bullets, it works just as well as the commercial lubes mentioned.
Perhaps the synthesizing changes the Vaseline somewhat, but it sure works well, as noted.
I used this lube on 10, 200gr. R.E.A.L. bullets in my .45 flinter with 70gr. 2F in a row on paper at 50 meters, no wiping, then loaded a .445" ball and .022" denim patch without problem.
No crusty spots & no hard fouling at all.
I do not use BW in patch lube. I use either WWWF+ a tich of NF Oil for target shooting, or Track's Mink Oil or Neetsfoot oil for hunting.

Daryl,

Vaseline is a petroleum wax.  The petroleum waxes do not convert to asphalt in the bore when you fire the gun.  Petroleum oils that are converted into thick greases will form asphalt in the bore with black powder.

Bill K.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2019, 08:00:25 AM »
TKs Bill- knew there had to be an explanation for that seeming - phenomenon.
Daryl

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2019, 06:07:05 AM »
I'm big on mystical powers. ;)

I used to have mystical powers... But my therapist took them away.

Mike