Author Topic: Cattle Species for Horns  (Read 1506 times)

Offline 120RIR

Cattle Species for Horns
« on: May 12, 2019, 03:04:25 AM »
It's been many years but I'd like to make my own powder horn again.  Who has horns from cattle species that would have been common in the eastern Pennsylvania region ca. 1750-1770s-ish?  I'm definitely an authenticity pinhead - gotta' keep it period and only period as much as possible! 

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Cattle Species for Horns
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2019, 05:25:06 AM »
Bos taurus is the species. If you mean breed of cattle then Devons are closest to what would have been common.
Andover, Vermont

Offline 120RIR

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2019, 06:42:32 AM »
Good point..."breed".  Who would I look to for Devon horns or something comparable?

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2019, 05:26:58 PM »
Good point..."breed".  Who would I look to for Devon horns or something comparable?

Try doing a search on Devon Cattle, you will find sites, some of them old. I may take some time but you might find some. Thinking not just any horn will work finding the right one may be a bigger problem.
 Here's a start:

http://www.cattle-exchange.com/breeds/devon?tid=All&page=1

Tim C.

Online Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2019, 07:15:02 PM »
I think a better option would be to find out what traits the extant horns display and then choose horns that fit the look as much as possible. The purpose of historical correctness is to get as close to correct as reasonably possible, not to get things close on the molecular level.
Psalms 144

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2019, 07:37:46 PM »
I think a better option would be to find out what traits the extant horns display and then choose horns that fit the look as much as possible. The purpose of historical correctness is to get as close to correct as reasonably possible, not to get things close on the molecular level.

Agreee. Find historical horns you like then hunt for ones of similar form.  Many but not all F&I era New England and NY horns had a fair bit of twist but applied tip Pennsylvania horns less and often uniform in color end to end.
Andover, Vermont