Author Topic: Need some help with this LWP (?) signed FL rifle  (Read 4499 times)

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Re: Need some help with this LWP (?) signed FL rifle
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2019, 08:41:54 PM »
Here are photos of a signed Rinehart ( J . R ) that I used to own. It had been cleaned up but as well as I remember all original parts.
Dennis

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline gibster

« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2019, 02:52:22 AM »
Typically try to stay out of discussions on what has or hasn't been done to a rifle as it's difficult to determine without holding the rifle in your hands. But here goes.  Maybe it's me, maybe it's the lighting or the camera angle, but if you enlarge the photo of the entry pipe, it sure looks to have a seam on either side angled back and the color of the wood changes. A good picture of both sides may help to determine.  Could be, and probably am wrong.

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2019, 03:28:14 AM »
Gibster, I saw those two lines and thought they were part of the incised carving lines.  I think you may have spotted it.   It's still a nice addition to any collection. Chris that will fit nice with your other guns.
JIM

Offline Chris_B

« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2019, 06:30:20 AM »
To be honest, I did not think of a forestock-replacement, but of cause that might be....
Will check for the difference in colours or any seams after work.
I will also try to get some better pics, but I am not a great photographer and neither is
my camera of high quality.
Kind regards from Germany, Chris

Offline Chris_B

« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2019, 05:58:16 PM »
And you are right!
I did not see it at first, but know that I know it is clearly visible: Forestock is a replacement
from the rear entry pipe on

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2019, 06:14:43 PM »
I'm curious as to what the auction house description said regarding this gun?
Could you mention the date of auction and lot number?

John Robbins

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2019, 07:44:24 PM »
If the auction house did not mention the restoration I woul certainly write ghem a letter regarding my feelings of their business!
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2019, 08:28:04 PM »
If the auction house did not mention the restoration I woul certainly write ghem a letter regarding my feelings of their business!
Dennis

My thoughts exactly, especially with the forearm replacement being so obvious!
John Robbins

Offline vanu

« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2019, 02:18:34 AM »
From Cowan's 01 May 2019 sale Lot #8:

40 caliber, 38.25" wedge retained octagonal barrel, no S/N. Browned finish, brass furniture, full-length hardwood stock. Barrel signed LWP in script, otherwise unmarked. Reconverted flint lock with fenced water proof pan, roller frizzen and added flat, beveled swan neck cock. Roman-nosed stock with awkward, paddle-like profile set with four-piece acorn finial patchbox in obverse and smaller oval patchbox in reverse, under cheek rest. Buttplate with separate toe plate, triggerguard with extended finger rest, double set-triggers, thick two-screw side plate. Decorated with a German silver six-pointed star on the cheek rest and a pair of brass fish on either side of the forend between the lock and rear sight. Forend spliced at entry pipe and replaced to muzzle. includes a wooden ramrod.

Seems like a reasonable overview and description, especially with the photos provided in the online catalog; the spliced forend is noted as well.

Bruce

Offline Brent English

• Robust Wood Lathes
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2019, 05:25:17 AM »
Back to the pipes briefly - have a look at the Jerry Kirkland rifle in the for sale section and you’ll see the Tedd Cash pipes before they are aged.
Done right is better than done fast.

Offline Chris_B

« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2019, 06:36:42 AM »
From Cowan's 01 May 2019 sale Lot #8:

40 caliber, 38.25" wedge retained octagonal barrel, no S/N. Browned finish, brass furniture, full-length hardwood stock. Barrel signed LWP in script, otherwise unmarked. Reconverted flint lock with fenced water proof pan, roller frizzen and added flat, beveled swan neck cock. Roman-nosed stock with awkward, paddle-like profile set with four-piece acorn finial patchbox in obverse and smaller oval patchbox in reverse, under cheek rest. Buttplate with separate toe plate, triggerguard with extended finger rest, double set-triggers, thick two-screw side plate. Decorated with a German silver six-pointed star on the cheek rest and a pair of brass fish on either side of the forend between the lock and rear sight. Forend spliced at entry pipe and replaced to muzzle. includes a wooden ramrod.

Seems like a reasonable overview and description, especially with the photos provided in the online catalog; the spliced forend is noted as well.

Bruce

Thank you!
I made a bid on that rifle and almost forgot about it .
It may sound strange, but I bid on another rifle that was more interesting for me, too,
and placed only a relative low bid on this one without really believing I would win it for that amount
anyhow.....
Forgot to print the text either and after I received a notice that I won it (my bid was
$ 750) I was not able to find it again.
The description is reasonable. It is  a nice rifle I won at a reasonable price.

I did not even notice the sliced forend at first sight (not at second, too....).
So there is no one to blame but myself, and I am happy with that rifle.

Everything with Cowan´s went well, I would do business with them again.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 06:48:28 AM by Chris_B »

Offline vanu

« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2019, 01:41:11 PM »
Chris,

Glad to assist! Wes is a  very nice fellow, they do seem to try hard to be accurate and up front, which can be a challenge when handling large volume sales of arms, and as we all know, antique arms of all types and vintages often seem to have evidence of some non as-made or period work. Anyway, sounds like a welcome addition to your collection.

Bruce

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2019, 05:55:37 PM »
All considered, I think that's a fair price for the gun, and a fair description by the auction house.
Some might argue the auction house should have mentioned the non-original forearm inlays and RR pipes, but I think common sense would tell you that a replaced forearm most likely wouldn't have original parts attached to it.
So now that you know what's what, hang it on the wall and enjoy it!
John
John Robbins

Offline Chris_B

« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2019, 11:33:14 AM »
So now that you know what's what, hang it on the wall and enjoy it!
John

That I do!

dogbest

« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2019, 06:42:41 PM »
It's a nice gun that you can be proud of.