Author Topic: .40 load help please (update thanks to all great day at range!)  (Read 4490 times)

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
Re: .40 load help please
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2019, 09:31:05 PM »
I've mentioned before that, IMHO, far too much importance is placed on rot.  A 1-48" twist, or even faster, should shoot well with both mild and heavy loads as long as the rifling depth is sufficient.  A 1-66" rot should shoot very well with midrange to heavy loads as long as the grooves are at least .004" to .005" deep.  Larger bores may do noticeably better than smaller bores with this setup.  My .54 has a rot of 1-66" with a groove depth of .006" and outshoots me with loads from 60 grains of 3F to 110 grains.  With a .40 I like deeper and faster.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2019, 09:26:30 AM »
Admountainken, I have a .40 caliber with a 38" Rice barrel that occasionaly shoots some pretty tight groups. I built this rifle some 15 years ago and I'm  pretty sure it's a 1-48" twist.
I shoot .395 round balls. I've found that using .018 ticking patching the rifle is pretty hard to start the ball, I attribute this to the sharp chamfer at the muzzle. The rifle shoots good with .010 and .015 patching but most of this size are not wove tight enough or tough enough to suit me. In a quest for good .015 patching I ordered some .015 ticking (without stripes) from easternmaine shooting supplies, I bought from their ebay site but they have a regular internet site as well. This was the patching I'd been looking for, good and tight.
Anytime I'm not hunting I use Original LeHigh Valley  patch lube when available, now I'm trying Mr. flintlock's patch lube. So far I like the Mr. Flintlocks lube. Thing is with these lubes they load easy, are accurate, and I can shoot all day without cleaning.
After a couple of range sessions with the new .015 patches and Mr. Flintlocks lube it seems my rifle shoots just as well with this combo as with .018 patch and other lube. The .015 is definitely easier to load.
I mostly shoot at 25 yards but I've done a little at 50 also and my old eyes are what determines the group size, not the load. My target load at 25 and 50 yards is goex 3fg, shoots the same at both distances. My turkey load is 60 grains of 3fg and is shoots good also.
Hope this helps a little.
DH
American horses of Arabian descent.

Offline Skirmisher

« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2019, 11:01:40 PM »
Golden Age Douglas barrels are 7-groove with a 1:48" twist.  Regular Douglas barrels were 8-groove with a 1:66" twist.  I wish I had a bundle of those old Golden Age barrels.

Offline RichG

« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2019, 04:04:51 AM »
Every gun is an individual. I have a 40 half stock with a Green Mtn. barrel. 1-48 twist. Have yet to find a load under 55grs of 3f that will shoot. Keep trying something will shoot. 

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2019, 06:50:00 AM »
Mine is a .40 caliber SMR built by Jim Kibler. It has a Rice 46-inch swamped barrel and  Jim Chamber Late Ketland lock. Not only is it a work of art but shoots great groups.
For paper punching and trail walks I use .395 Hornady balls, .015 pillow ticking with spit lube and 40 grains of Goex FFF. For hunting or longer shooting I use 60 grains of Goex FFF with the same .015 pillow ticking, same .395 ball with a pure Neatsfoot oil and beeswax lube.
These combinations have never let me down and are a pleasure to shoot.
As every rifle is unique play around with loads, ball size, and patch thickness until you find your best and most accurate loads. This is the fun of a new rifle. Take your time developing your loads and you will be rewarded for it.
My new .54 Lowell Haarer rifle and pistol set should arrive in the next couple of weeks. Can't wait to develop my loads for it. Will post pictures when they arrive.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline adkmountainken

Re: .40 load help please (update thanks to all great day at range!)
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2019, 02:19:28 AM »
made it back to the range today with a new box of Hornady 395 rb's, there wassome speculation that perhaps the lead i was using was not pure enough.  well hellfire if that was not true! new rb's loaded without a hitch and went down smooth using Tracks mink oil and a .018 patch.   first shot hit to the rhit as did the next 3 but i already new this from last range day.  took a set nail and small hammer and drifted rear sight slightly. was not enough moved a bit but i needed to drift a bit more, gently tapped it a few times and loaded BINGO dead center but tad high, next 2 shots right there as well. settled on 50 grains fff Goex and will work more on loads next time but am happy where it is now as i usually set sights tad high at 25 yards. MANY THANKS to all on this forum for your help!

Offline adkmountainken

« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2019, 02:20:21 AM »
the 3 above bull were the last 3 shots i took.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2019, 03:21:55 AM »
Satisfying, isn’t it!
Andover, Vermont

Offline Daryl

« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2019, 06:33:19 PM »
You might find this loads shoots 2 to 3" high at 50 yards, now. You might have to remove some from the top of the rear sight, if you want a 50 yard zero.

Or, aim accordingly and have a 75 yard zero with the sights as-is.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V