Author Topic: best way to sell antique firearms  (Read 2445 times)

Offline Sweeney

best way to sell antique firearms
« on: June 05, 2019, 02:50:23 AM »
A good friend of mine residing in New York has a collection of mostly percussion, a couple flinter long guns and wants to sell them. Would any of you have recommendations for auction houses or other options he should take? Thanks for any advice.
Sweeney

Offline snapper

Re: best way to sell antique firearms
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2019, 04:07:18 AM »
offer them up here at a fair price.  No commissions.

Fleener
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2019, 05:36:22 PM »
... well,... since nobody else has said it,.... if any Tennessee rifles are included,.... send me a "P.M.",.... !!! ... regards, DGB...

Offline backsplash75

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2019, 08:34:25 PM »
Gunbroker auctions have been decent for me.

Offline jaeren

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2019, 09:00:00 PM »
It would depend on how he wants to sell them all at once like in an auction or piecemeal one at a time and wait to see who is interested.  List them here and on the CLA site if your a member. If you want you could try some of the shows.

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2019, 01:03:42 AM »
One problem new sellers face is knowing the real market value of their individual pieces. The original purchase price is not always a good indicator...the gun could have been much better than the seller thought, or perhaps the buyer was over-eager and paid a premium. And prices have changes the last few years...run of the mill rifles are harder to sell and usually go more cheaply than 10 years ago, while top end pieces still bring strong prices. Buyers are also more focused on condition these days, and restoration, damage, etc. are more closely looked at and at times reduce the price of guns purchased several years ago.

A lot depends on how well the seller knows the value of his individual rifles. If he knows the current market, then he can sell individually on internet sites by setting reasonable min. bid values. However, if the collection is reasonably good, but the buyer hasn't kept up with market values, he is probably better running them through a known auction house that handles a lot of antique firearms, has a good customer base, and advertises their auctions well.

It's also good to keep in mind that many antique rifles sell better in the area where they came from...buyers are more knowledgeable of their local rifles and more attached to them. If many of the guns in the collection, which is housed in New York, are eastern rifles, then they will sell stronger in the East. If the collection is more of the normal PA, VA, MD, NC, OH type material, then a good auction house closer to those states will usually pull better prices. If there is a "Million Dollar" item in teh collection, or one is suspected of perhaps being a great rifle, have it appraised before doing anything with it. Big auction houses like Cowans in Cincinnati or Rock Island in Illinois will be glad to discuss any special gun in the collection and provide an idea, or range, of what it will probably bring. Of course, they will need good photo coverage of the gun, or seeing it in hand, to make a valid appraisal.

So before any decision is made, the collection owner needs to reflect on his personal knowledge of his collection and individual values, identify any pieces that may be superior and have potential big value, and know what he is doing before he lists anything. You pay more in fees with an auction house, but if they handle antique firearms and advertise well, they bring bigger prices due to having a lot more interested people see the item.

Many collectors have made contacts over the years with other collectors with similar interests. Knowledgeable collectors usually prefer to sell their better pieces to friends/collectors who have an interest in the same type/kind of rifles. That gets the seller good prices without a lot of fees or stress of auctions...then sell the lower end "stuff" as you see fit.

Shelby Gallien
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 10:31:16 PM by Tanselman »

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2019, 01:51:55 AM »
Shelby,

that was a thoughtful & accurate answer.  Very good advice.

Mark

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2019, 02:48:36 AM »
I’ll just add that many of the prices of antique guns on GB auction site are in the optimistic category for me, and they languish for months.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Sweeney

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2019, 02:41:05 PM »
Thanks to you all - very helpful. I will convey your collective insights to my friend. I will have more details and photos of his collection and likely share that with all of you here.

Cades Cove Fiddler- I am fairly confident there are no SMR's. I saw his collection many years ago before I learned the 'schools' but I do remember most of these are half-stocks, a few muskets.

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2019, 03:47:50 PM »
Sweeney,
As was said earlier, that was good advice. However if you decide to sell some of the items on line or privately, I would be interested in Ohio rifles that you may have.
Mark
Mark

Offline Sweeney

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2019, 06:11:00 PM »
Thanks, Mark. Should have an inventory soon.
Troy

Offline Sweeney

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2019, 04:27:55 PM »
here is the first-

« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 05:36:14 AM by Ky-Flinter »

Offline Sweeney

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2019, 02:44:05 PM »
another-

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2019, 05:07:04 PM »
Sweeney,

If you are now offering these guns for sale, they should be offered in the Classified/For Sale section, with prices.  I can move them if you want.  Otherwise, the guns posted here should be considered not for sale, but rather only posted for the enjoyment of our members.

-Ron
ALR Moderator
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Steve Collward

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2019, 01:11:32 AM »
If possible, could a bit of a description of the guns shown be added. For example, if there is a maker's name on the barrel, caliber, length, etc.
Thanks,

Offline Sweeney

« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2019, 02:00:07 AM »
Ron,
We do plan on listing in classifieds but have little knowledge of their values and I know the asking price must be posted. We were hoping to get some guidance here before listing. We only want to get a fair price for both seller and buyer.

Steve,
I informed my friend we need more info on calibers, markings, and he is working on that.
Thanks,
Troy