Author Topic: older TC flintlock replacement???? ( made it to the range!)  (Read 2137 times)

Offline adkmountainken

when i have a few older TC flintlocks the company was replacing the older locks with newer locks free of charge due to an upgrade and recall, do they still do this for older locks that were covered?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 05:24:08 AM by adkmountainken »

Offline Fyrstyk

• "All I ask of living is to have no chains on me."
Re: older TC flintlock replacement????
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2019, 01:31:11 AM »
S&W bought out T/C and they are not honoring T/C replacements.  In addition, I understand there was a fire at the T/C plant in Rochester, NH and all of the side lock parts and wood was destroyed.

Offline Standing Bear

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2019, 12:40:51 AM »
Contact L&R and get one of their RPL locks. You may have to remove a little wood but the upgrade is worth it.
Nothing is hard if you have the right equipment and know how to use it.  OR have friends who have both.

http://texasyouthhunting.com/

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2019, 01:33:12 AM »
IMO, the cost of a quality replacement lock is more than a TC is worth, unless it is in pretty much new condition.

Hungry Horse

Offline adkmountainken

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2019, 02:22:07 AM »
well i grew up shooting TC's killed my first dozen muzzleloader deer with them and still enjoy shooting them, also have a 3 and 4 year old that will lean on them.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2019, 02:43:10 AM »
I understand that argument completely. I still have the old T/C that somebody cut down to PeeWee size for their kid, and then traded it to me. My nephews all learned on it, as did my son later on. It was a flinter originally, but someone long before I got it put a drum and nipple in it, and a T/C percussion lock. It’s been shot so much that its barrel is almost smooth inside. Luckily it started life as a .45 cal. Instead of .50 cal. So it was even more kid friendly. Good luck in your search.

Hungry Horse

Offline Fyrstyk

• "All I ask of living is to have no chains on me."
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2019, 03:30:23 PM »
Regarding the L&R replacement locks for a T/C.  These are not drop in locks.  There is a lot of wood that has to be removed from the lock mortise to accommodate the flat springs used on the L&R as opposed to the T/C coil springs.  In addition, the lock plate may have to be filed to fit.  Member Eric Kewson has reported several times regarding his efforts to replace a T/C lock.  Research his old posts for details.

Online Eric Krewson

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2019, 03:41:08 PM »
Posted a lot about my "swap".

Here is a definitive picture, moved the barrel back 1/4" to line up the touch hole, had to redrill the lock bolt hole as the original didn't hit the threaded place in the L&R, had to grind off the back of the barrel to miss the new lock bolt and did a bunch of wood removal to accommodate the the L&R lock.

Offline Bigmon

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2019, 03:48:55 PM »
I have done a few of these conversions.  There is substantial work involved.  But it would be a great learning experience for someone just getting involved.  And if it turned out to be a not so great job, well it's a Thompson Center, not out a bunch, and it can always be fixed.
As for values of TC's, I have been surprised how much folks are asking, and sometimes getting for them at gun shows and such places.
Often $400 and more.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2019, 07:03:02 PM »
While on the subject of repairing all the short comings of the T/C Hawken, what would be the most effective way to get rid of the hideous engraving on a T/C lock?

Hungry Horse

Offline adkmountainken

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2019, 02:47:28 AM »
well that does it for me definitely not going to be upgrading the lock i can't put Lego's together much less wood working and setting a lock!

Offline Shovelbuck

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2019, 03:44:07 PM »
As I recall, they weren't replacing the locks, just the cock. They had changed the angle of it. Look on Ebay, might be one there.
I don't hunt the hard way, I hunt a simpler way.

Online Eric Krewson

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2019, 03:48:07 PM »
The part that made me the most apprehensive was drilling the blind lock bolt hole. I plugged the old hole with a dowel and left the dowel just a little proud in the inlet. I blacked the lock, put it in the inlet and gave it a good smack, this left a round black ring mark on the dowel from the bolt hole fixture on the lock. I put the stock on my drill press with the drilling spike centered on the black ring and gave it a go. After drilling a clearance sized hole I inserted a lock bolt to see how far I was off. To my surprise the bolt hit the threaded fixture on the lock perfectly and I could start the threads effortlessly.   

Offline adkmountainken

Re: older TC flintlock replacement???? ( made it to the range!)
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2019, 05:26:35 AM »
well as was for not as in not to worry the old girl shot lie a top! quick as can be from first shot to last and NO miss or hang fires! ran 20 rounds through her and dead on at 25 yards! never touched the flint other then to wipe the grease from it and lightly cleaned every 3 shots. very happy with this old TC flinter!