Author Topic: Collecting frustration  (Read 2483 times)

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Collecting frustration
« on: June 14, 2019, 08:18:20 PM »
What's going on?  Does Rock Island auction think we should have to buy 3 or 4 longrifles to get the one we want.  I don't see them
putting 3 or 4 Winchesters or colts in the same lot.  Anyone else think this is the wrong way to go about it?
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
Re: Collecting frustration
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2019, 08:39:54 PM »
I don't have a problem with it as most times when they have those bundles they are less expensive rifles & sometimes you can sell the ones you don't want to pay for the whole lot.  However, that ties up gun  money  & you might have them for awhile.  You are correct you don't see that with Winchesters.  Guess they hold Winchester & Colts in higher regard, kind of sad.  :'(

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2019, 09:35:54 PM »
They try to create a lot that is in the $1,000 to $2000 range for their regional auctions. If they were to auction off 10,000 guns one at a time the auction would last a month or more.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2019, 10:29:31 PM »
Schreck, let’s look at going in on it together!
Andover, Vermont

Offline Chris_B

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2019, 10:18:47 AM »
There are one or two rifles in their auctions I would be interested in.
Would be not wise to buy one interisting with two or three combined that I do not want, since
I have no chance to sell these again over here... :(
Kind regards from Germany, Chris

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2019, 05:15:35 PM »
Would be not wise to buy one interisting with two or three combined that I do not want, since
Why couldn't you sell your extras over there?
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Chris_B

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2019, 10:46:47 AM »

There is no market for American Arms in Germany (Europe?) right now.
I had to sell my Civil War collection piece by piece to be able to build up a collection
of longrifles, and even these arms brought pretty low prices.
I was not able to make some profit, mostly did not get what I paid some years ago.
Even less chance to sell civilian American arms.
Kind regards from Germany, Chris

Offline mbriggs

• member 2
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2019, 12:28:46 AM »
Civil War items have lost value here in the U.S. too. Most Confederate rifles and swords lost as much as 50% back in 2008. The rarest and most valuable items have come back in price, but the average item is still quite a bit less.

Michael
C. Michael Briggs

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2019, 07:41:28 PM »

There is no market for American Arms in Germany (Europe?) right now.
I had to sell my Civil War collection piece by piece to be able to build up a collection
of longrifles, and even these arms brought pretty low prices.
I was not able to make some profit, mostly did not get what I paid some years ago.
Even less chance to sell civilian American arms.

Here in the UK  originals prices are  well down the market is flooded with  percussion and flintlock originals ,the only ones that are keeping their value are the well known makers such has Manton, Lancaster, Westley Richards .  Shipping is now very expensive with only a few couriers  that will ship any kind of weapon and UK gun laws do not help.
Feltwad

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2019, 12:54:50 AM »
Mom told me not to tie up my money in these things.

Yep, she was right.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2019, 04:08:53 PM »
They started their auction yesterday, by the end of the day today they'll have around 5,000 guns sold out of the 10,000. You fellas ought to go to this auction sometime, it's a treat to see 10,000 guns all in one place....and you're welcome to handle all of them!