Author Topic: Joanne's Fabric Options?  (Read 3982 times)

Offline Leatherbark

Re: Joanne's Fabric Options?
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2021, 03:14:27 PM »
When buying blue striped pillow ticking at JoAnns. They have two types. One is thicker than the other and is purported to be called mattress ticking.  The other blue, red, brown striped ticking is thinner and doesn't always work for me. They are all together so you will know the correct one when you handle them.

Bob

Offline Daryl

« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2021, 08:53:08 PM »
A few years ago, we came across a mattress ticking at a local sewing shop. This material, 100% cotton we called mattress ticking, a very tightly woven cloth that turned out
to be a SUPER patch material for ALL of us up here. Compressed in dial calipers as tightly as I can squeeze the tines between forefinger and thumb, after washing it measures (just re-did it)
.023". I've even used this material in my .32, with .320" balls and in  my .40, with .400" balls, being dead soft lead, of course (from X-Ray Room wall lead sheeting). It also shot well
in the .58 Kodiak with .562" balls as well as .574" balls.  Taylor's A. Verner .50 with .495" balls, my .50 Beck (by him) with .495" balls, my old .45 with .445" balls and the .69, with .682" balls.
It was even "perfect' in the 20 bore (choked) with .595" balls.
Alas, we can find no more. I still have a few scraps.
Red, White, Light Blue and Dark Blue stripes.
If I could find a bolt of this stuff in Canada, I would buy at least 1/2 of it.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2021, 11:43:36 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2021, 03:15:29 AM »
Gotta go to JoAnn's now and pick up my order. Might buy some more while I'm there. Pocket drill is first, then some ticking and I'll peruse the linen while I'm there-hard to tell much about it by reading. I've never experimented beyond scrap denim and don't have a lot of that.  I feel some shooting coming on and will need patches!

While I'm there I may as well check all their ticking and linen.  Hmm, calipers or mic?  How much thickness change should I expect from raw to washed 2x?  Have I missed that detail before?
Hold to the Wind

Offline Daryl

« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2021, 03:49:54 AM »
Denims (and the Mattress ticking I pictured) usually get softer and a thou thicker, both of which are good, but only if you have a smooth bore. ;D
Daryl

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2021, 04:25:16 AM »
Denims (and the Mattress ticking I pictured) usually get softer and a thou thicker, both of which are good, but only if you have a smooth bore. ;D

Hope to find some in the 18-22 thou range.  I haven't been into a fabric store in decades.

Edit. They canceled my order, neither in stock. I'll have to find one with pocket drill before I'm going in.

Edit 2: I re-ordered for delivery instead of going in to the next nearest store with questionable stocks. Drill and Ticking.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2021, 05:51:56 PM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline Daryl

« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2021, 10:26:21 PM »
Joannes should have 8,9,10 & 11 ounce denims. 
Here, I've had and measured the 8 ounce as about .018 to .020" depending on make. 10 ounce at .021" to .0225" and 12 ounce at .030, 14 ounce at .034", using calipers.
With a mic, I find the 12 ounce at .025" and 14 ounce at .030".
I tried turning the barrel down on the mic. and got 14 ounce down to .002" - yes - 2 thou., so technique is VERY important and must be repeatable - by you. Measure what
works for you.  I found I cannot trust OxJoke so I do it myself. Their .018" measured .015" and their  .022" measure .018" - for me. 
.018" denim worked in my .32 and will work in my .36, but that is it. It is too thin for my larger bored rifles.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2021, 10:31:24 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

Offline Maven

« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2021, 02:24:14 AM »
Heading to Jo Ann Fabrics tomorrow after the gym.  I'll report on what's available tomorrow night.
Paul W. Brasky

Offline Maven

« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2021, 10:32:42 PM »
I went to JoAnn Fabrics today after the gym and pretty much found what I was looking for, but not necessarily the fabric manufacturer I sought.  To wit, there were two thickness of blue striped pillow ticking (and plenty of it), .014" and .018".  The .011" - .012" twill took a bit of searching and wasn't grouped with the "Utility Fabrics,"  but with "Sport Fabrics."  and was a different brand than I wanted ("Sew Classics" is what I was looking for.)  Btw, even though it's thiner material, I've never experienced a burned up or torn patch when using it.  From what I could see there was no shortage of fabric or panic buying of ML appropriate material and the store personnel were most helpful.  Two caveats though:  the muslin and twill fabrics almost look alike so you have to measure their thickness.  Also, you have read the data on the cloth bolt itself in order to ensure you're purchasing 100% cotton cloth.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2021, 02:19:19 AM by Maven »
Paul W. Brasky

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2021, 11:54:17 PM »
IIRC these patches were fired in a .45 (.012" grooves).  But for the life of me I can't remember if it's pillow or "mattress" ticking.  The ball was .440" and maybe Hoppes lube.  They survived rather nicely.  Obviously a few years ago I'm sure.  For me that's reason enough NOT to get rid of my pretty good supply of blue, and brown, ticking.  I don't use it very often but it's nice to have it to fall back on.

!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Mike_StL

« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2021, 02:12:30 AM »

I prefer the #40 Cotton Drill from Jo-Ann's.

I also did a test with 0.010 fine cotton cloth and a loose ball to see what the difference would be on target.

There's a difference but not as much as I expected.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2021, 03:14:48 AM »

I prefer the #40 Cotton Drill from Jo-Ann's.

I also did a test with 0.010 fine cotton cloth and a loose ball to see what the difference would be on target.

There's a difference but not as much as I expected.

That vertical stringing looks like velocity variation to me.  Try again at 40 or 50 to see how things open up--would be my next move.  But also I know that after a number of shots you'll have to swab for that patch burning combo.  But you may swab all the time anyway. Thanks for the report. My cloth gets here tomorrow and I might get to shoot on the weekend. TODAY would have been so perfect, it was warm enough (over 50 once the sun got up) and calm, and no bugs (overcast would have been better, but we can't have it all)... loved being employed outdoors today.
Hold to the Wind

Offline Mike_StL

« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2021, 04:57:08 AM »
Thank you Wade for the suggestion.  I do need to shoot it at 50 yards for a second evaluation.  I used the smaller ball and the thinner patch to see what might happen in a woods walk where I have to load from the pouch, and I want an easy to load ball with patch.  I'm going to have to watch the light and the wind for the horizontal stringing.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2021, 09:50:24 PM »
You can have an easy way to load and have to wipe the bore as well as getting horrid accuracy, or have a relatively easy way to load from the pouch, which is what we all do up here
and get good accuracy right to our longest target at 100 meters(109yards).

Your second picture of .535" ball and .017" patch, is about the bare minimum. The guys here with .54's, use a .535" ball and 10 ounce denim, which is .021"compressed in calipers.
It can[t be too hard to load, my daughter and wife use the same patch, only with a ball .010" smaller than the bore(.530").
I am surprised you were able to find any shred of the .010" patch, due to the ULTRA sloppy fit of ball and patch.

Back in the early 70's, Lyman knew what a proper ball & patch fit looked like.
In order to get this fit, you need "some" compression in the bottom of the grooves.
Mathematics is your friend.

Daryl

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2021, 05:30:45 AM »
I got some pocket drill and the red striped ticking.  After a hand washing in hot water and drying one time I measured .018" and .016" respectively. I'll try them out when I get a suitable weekend or the, now rare, day off.  It'll be my first departure from denim.
Hold to the Wind

Offline Panzerschwein

« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2021, 12:14:12 PM »
A few years ago, we came across a mattress ticking at a local sewing shop. This material, 100% cotton we called mattress ticking, a very tightly woven cloth that turned out
to be a SUPER patch material for ALL of us up here. Compressed in dial calipers as tightly as I can squeeze the tines between forefinger and thumb, after washing it measures (just re-did it)
.023". I've even used this material in my .32, with .320" balls and in  my .40, with .400" balls, being dead soft lead, of course (from X-Ray Room wall lead sheeting). It also shot well
in the .58 Kodiak with .562" balls as well as .574" balls.  Taylor's A. Verner .50 with .495" balls, my .50 Beck (by him) with .495" balls, my old .45 with .445" balls and the .69, with .682" balls.
It was even "perfect' in the 20 bore (choked) with .595" balls.
Alas, we can find no more. I still have a few scraps.
Red, White, Light Blue and Dark Blue stripes.
If I could find a bolt of this stuff in Canada, I would buy at least 1/2 of it.

Looks like top shelf stuff for round bottom rifling.

Offline Panzerschwein

« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2021, 12:18:47 PM »
Recent haul from Jo Anns: