Author Topic: Lock Stock & Barrel  (Read 1992 times)

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
Lock Stock & Barrel
« on: June 19, 2019, 06:40:43 AM »
Well not really , just a piece of buttstock,  ;D.    Would like for you all to share some of your relics or pieces of rifles.   I find them intriguing.   Here is one I have,  probably came from Zebulon Sheetz' shop.  If not his shop at least made by one of his kin.

Offline ptk1126

Re: Lock Stock & Barrel
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2019, 03:12:16 PM »
Although not as interesting as yours, here is one of my relics - a 36 cal Ohio rifle with barrel signed by Pierre Frederick Charpie.
Charpie was born in Switzerland in 1814, immigrated to the US in 1825, arrived in Ohio in 1826, was listed as a gunsmith in the
Mount Vernon Ohio census in 1860, then moved to Peru Indiana where he died in 1870.

All the best
Paul

Offline Niall

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2019, 06:17:55 PM »
These are not rifles but they are relics so maybe they qualify.They're interesting in any case.Two brass blunderbuss barrels that seem to have lost the rest of their kit....brass tends to outlast wood & iron,so long as it doesn't get recycled.....The lower one has had a few lives,seems it was shortened and converted to percussion and then used as a mallet or maul.It would still do a job.Both are marked DUBLIN with the top one owner marked.I managed to track him down,well at least his address;he hasn't been seen for a while.Plus the name is misspelt....should read JOHN BRERETON

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2019, 07:10:05 PM »
My only relic.

Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline fundukj

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2019, 07:35:46 PM »
Good topic, Mark!  Here's one.

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2019, 08:48:46 PM »
Here's my only relic. Got from a fellow in Dallas TX several years ago. Built a nice long rifle scaled off of it. Interesting thread. Dave F 8) 8)

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2019, 09:52:45 PM »
I too am enjoying this thread immensely!  Kind of funny how the "gun builder" in me wants to take these fine old remnants and bring them back to their former glory!
Joel Hall

Offline JV Puleo

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2019, 10:00:36 PM »
 That doesn't sound strange to me. I have all the pieces of a wrecked NE rifle. I keep toying with the idea of restocking it but I'm not enough of a stock maker to do a good job and I haven't the time to learn.

Offline mbriggs

• member 2
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2019, 12:36:14 AM »
I have several North Carolina themed relics.

The first piece is the Butt-stock of a Henry Ledford Eagle Patchbox rifle that was found on Pike's Peak in 1942 in Colorado. Where the rest of it is I don't know.

This second piece is the lock and fore-stock of an Early Deep River School signed by Robert H. Polk.  It was found in the woods near Polecat Creek in Southern Guilford County close to his gun shop.  The forestock features inlays with false silver wedges.  This is the only Polk rifle I have seen with this added.

The last item is a signed early Jamestown rifle barrel.  The barrel is signed T G & W L for Thaddeus Gardner and William Lamb who founded the Jamestown School.

Thanks,

Michael
C. Michael Briggs

CARROLLCO

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2019, 01:24:59 AM »
Most interesting thread. Thanks to all who contributed. Fine examples.

Offline Steve Collward

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2019, 03:31:07 PM »
Attached are photos of a relic octagon to round smoothbore barrel (.69 cal.) that was fashioned into a noisemaker.  Bottom flat is marked with Brit proof marks, "Twisted" and initialed "M&M".

dogbest

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2019, 03:34:57 PM »
Neat thread.  Some beautiful rifles have been ruined but it's good that some parts of them have survived and are
valued now.

Offline MGillman

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2019, 05:41:43 PM »
Jacob Shaffer barrel and buttstock. Wythe County, VA.