Author Topic: neat old percussion rifle found....  (Read 1664 times)

Offline Bigmon

neat old percussion rifle found....
« on: June 20, 2019, 07:55:09 PM »
My cousin brought me this to see if I can make the lock work.  Right off, I think it is beyond my ability to fix, and welcome any advice as to how, or who I could contact for him.
But I had never seen this gun he has had for many years.  What I like is the full stock, and especially that there are cheek pc on both sides.  I guess that makes it for both left and right hand shooters.
As you can see the gun has set triggers, but no fly in the lock, and actually I see only one notch at full cock.  I guess that would make it function.
The barrel is 391/4" Oct Rod, about 44 or 45 cal, I can't see any rifling, my bore lite is dead. 7/8" at the breech and about 19/32" Dia. at the muzzle.
The lock is marked "Biddle & Co" outside with something under that I can't read.  On the inside is "HE"
Trigger pull is about 13"+ from the front trigger.
Stock seems to be maple with a little curl here and there.  Hardware is all brass including a nose cap.
I can only post a couple photos at a time but will add more if there is interest. Any info is appreciated.
Thanks

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: neat old percussion rifle found....
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2019, 08:14:43 PM »
Lots of late percussion guns have the simple lock and triggers that only operate set. Not unusual. Easy enough st the range. For hunting I just don’t cap it.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Taylorz1

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2019, 11:33:06 PM »
I will just echo what Rich said. I think it was built that way. The pic of the lock illustrates why you shouldn’t let the hammer down with no nipple in place. The stirrup lets the mainspring blow the  bottom of the lock mortise out. A lot of old guns have had that happen

Offline Bigmon

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2019, 01:24:31 AM »
Luckily it hasn't knocked the bottom out yet, although it is pretty worn inside.  I'd like to be able to fix or have the lock fixed for him.  This gun otherwise is solid and could be used.  There is also an old wrist repair that is holding well.  There are signs that it was once wire wrapped.
I am just very taken with this double cheek piece stock?  I cannot remember ever seeing that before.  Is it a common feature?

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2019, 02:06:58 AM »
Not sure the lock needs fixing because if on the nipple or on half cock it is safe. However a new, shorter stirrup can be made to limit the travel of the lower arm of the mainspring.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Bigmon

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2019, 08:53:29 PM »
I really appreciate the remarks.  I have since taken a closer look at this lock.  Firstly, the hammer is loose on the tumbler shaft which results in a lot of play.  I was able to tighten that up enough to see that if permanently repaired it would make a big difference, and it would.
Next of course is the shortened nipple.  A longer one will help.
Finally I noticed that while in the gun the lock would not catch on the full cock.  The sear arm was bent way down for some reason.  I was able to straighten enough to install the lock and test it.
And behold, everything worked, triggers also.
But now the hammer needs correctly installed on the tumbler.  And the nipple and maybe the drum also, need replaced.
But guys, no one has yet commented on the double cheek pieces??? That's what intrigues me.  Are these all that common?
There are no names I can find on the gun as to who may have built it?
Any ideas??

Offline Brent English

• Robust Wood Lathes
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2019, 10:04:36 PM »
Neat old gun.  While I have seen other guns with cheek pieces on both sides, I would not call it common at all.  I don't think it adds to the value, but does make the gun more interesting.  My speculation is that the gun was made for a left hander, or someone in the family was left handed, and they wanted the gun to used by others who were right handed, maybe when the left hander was no longer using it.  Just a thought.  Lucky for you the sear didn't break when you straightened it.  That's what would have happened to me !
Done right is better than done fast.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2019, 10:33:52 PM »
First off, many late percussions of lower quality had no half cock notch. So, it appears your perception of what’s broken may be a little off. The mainspring at rest below the edge of the plate is also quite common. I have two late percussion rifles, that have no halfcock position on the tumbler. Coincidentally one of them made by W.H.Brown also has two nice little beaver tail cheek pieces. Both of these guns I believe were made well after the cartridge era began. The second gun was made by John Rogers. Both of these guns utilize what I would consider Hardware store locks, one by Josh Golcher, and the other marked Nefworten.

Hungry Horse