Author Topic: Greetings, and a Don King rifle  (Read 4882 times)

Offline emmagee

Greetings, and a Don King rifle
« on: June 27, 2019, 10:46:00 PM »
I thought it might be nice, as my first post, to show off a Don King rifle which has been in my greedy clutches since 1971:

Cal: .45
Bbl: 44", 15/16", straight
Weight 9 lbs.
LOP: 12 1/2"
Barrel by Bill Large
Marked in pencil in barrel channel"February 1963."
Bought it when I was 16 years old. Mowed a lot of yards for this rifle!

Offline emmagee

Re: Greetings, and a Don King rifle
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2019, 10:48:08 PM »
More photos. My photography skills are barely adequate. I wish these had turned out better but I hope to show you some details of the rifle.

Offline msellers

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2019, 10:48:28 PM »
Welcome,  and very nice rifle you have there. I would say that is a lot of yards mowed. My kids want to do something along thise lines, but I don't trust my cheap mower to last for more than a few yards currently.

Offline emmagee

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2019, 10:49:04 PM »

Offline emmagee

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2019, 10:49:49 PM »

Offline emmagee

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2019, 10:50:28 PM »

Offline emmagee

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2019, 10:51:25 PM »

Offline emmagee

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2019, 10:52:13 PM »

Offline emmagee

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2019, 10:53:10 PM »

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2019, 11:33:31 PM »
Very nice and nice you’ve kept it. Looks like new.
Andover, Vermont

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2019, 11:56:48 PM »
An amazing rifle for sure!  And at 16!
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline emmagee

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2019, 12:19:41 AM »
Thank you!

I seem to remember being told at some point in the distant past that this rifle was a direct copy of an original. I have never seen a pic of the original, if this is true.

What I do know is it shoots dead on at 50 yards with 60 grains of 3F, a .440 RB and .010" patch! 

Offline johngross

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2019, 04:23:11 AM »
Now there's a gun that'll knock you out. Very nice!!

Offline Carney Pace

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2019, 03:11:39 PM »
Nice rifle. 
Don was one of my best friends.  Many an evening spent visiting with him in his shop.

He could look and handle an original and recreate it.
His personal rifle "King' Ransom"  was a Bedford with silver wire inlay,silver inlay and engraved, with a . Bill Large .40 cal barrel.
Yours reminds me of a plain version of his personal rifle.

Take care and enjoy shooting it that is what he built them for.

Carney

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2019, 03:15:17 PM »
Is this the famous Don King from out West? It doesn't look like most of his work, signature is different than the ones I have seen.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2019, 03:31:26 PM »
Considering it was done in 1963, and the longrifle resources available at the time, that is an amazing job.  I was only one year old at the time!  God Bless,   Marc

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2019, 03:45:17 PM »
Considering it was done in 1963, and the longrifle resources available at the time, that is an amazing job.  I was only one year old at the time!  God Bless,   Marc
Ah, I missed the 1963 part. Very good quality for such early work.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2019, 03:50:48 PM »
Don was a long time friend and mentor.  I had a very fine Kentucky he made for a mutual friend but it went to pay a doctor bill.... I have two of Don's flint Hawkens and a pair of flint pistols. 
He is a greatly unappreciated maker today who in his working years was head and shoulders above almost everyone.
Kings Ransom's stock was being laid out on his garage floor when his neighbor walked over to tell him Kennedy had been shot. it was named when someone offered him $1500 for it in 1964-65 at Freindship. Don refused and a freind told him 'that's a King's Ransom!"

Don made many, many fine rifles. You are lucky to have this one.
Don logged the guns he made and restored until May 1971 then for some reason he stopped. The last Bedford listed is Feb 23, 1971. 45 cal 44" Golden Age barrel 44". He made many more after this but never logged them. Just as a reference his FS FL Hawken "pattern rifle" was finished Jan 3. 1971 and counting this rifle he made 7 by May 5, 1971.
#1 is a pistol from March 1950. He used an old shotgun lock and a piece of old Winchester rifle barrel.
#2 in noted as " .375 cal fullstock percussion pistol 6" round barrel, Sold 1954 to ? (All parts made by hand at Norfolk Virginia Naval Base)"

Rest in Peace Don.

He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2019, 04:18:46 PM »
DARN! I missed the 1963 too.
Too busy looking at the photos. I thought the rifle looked too early for 71.
The book (this is in the blank pages at the front and back of "The American Arms Collector"  by the Collectors' Press 1957. The earlier entries were apparently copied from logs in a copy of Ned Roberts' "ML Caplock Rifle" which I also have.

For Feb 1963 we see:
#21 Feb, 15, 63 .450 caliber Flintlock Bedford County rifle made for myself (Bill Large barrel, Kirkland lock)  sold to Jim Pacaud Sapulpa, Okla March 1st. 63

Does this match the rifle?

Dan

Offline emmagee

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2019, 05:37:37 PM »
DARN! I missed the 1963 too.
Too busy looking at the photos. I thought the rifle looked too early for 71.
The book (this is in the blank pages at the front and back of "The American Arms Collector"  by the Collectors' Press 1957. The earlier entries were apparently copied from logs in a copy of Ned Roberts' "ML Caplock Rifle" which I also have.

For Feb 1963 we see:
#21 Feb, 15, 63 .450 caliber Flintlock Bedford County rifle made for myself (Bill Large barrel, Kirkland lock)  sold to Jim Pacaud Sapulpa, Okla March 1st. 63

Does this match the rifle?

Dan

Yes!!! Yes it does. Thank you!! Actually I was hoping you would see this post and chime in. Now I have a bit more history on the rifle. I remember being told that the lock was a Dixie Gun Works lock which had the lockplate reshaped.

I would love to own another of DK's rifles but they never seem to come up for sale.

Offline emmagee

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2019, 05:45:44 PM »
Another thought. Was Mr. King a small-statured man? Seems to me he was, from the photos I've seen. That would tend to explain the short LOP. I can still shoot it comfortably, but have always wondered why the pull was so short.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2019, 07:33:44 PM »
I would love to own another of DK's rifles but they never seem to come up for sale.
That sucks.  Now, whenever someone sees a rifle with my initials on it, they will think it's a Don King rifle.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2019, 08:55:37 PM »
Another thought. Was Mr. King a small-statured man? Seems to me he was, from the photos I've seen. That would tend to explain the short LOP. I can still shoot it comfortably, but have always wondered why the pull was so short.

Don was fairly short probably 5'6" or so.
But he also tended to make guns as they were made originally and many originals were 13" or less.  His FS Hawkens have the same pull as a 1903 Springfield. Or so he told me and he had access to an original FS Hawken at the time as well.
This is old photo of Don with King's Ransom. The rifle he apparently made after he sold the one you have now.
Dan

Offline emmagee

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2019, 09:43:24 PM »
Thank you for this....I need to take some better quality pics of the rifle. Some experimentation is in order.

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2019, 06:03:40 AM »
Firearms are notoriously difficult to get good photos of. Good luck. Usually need to be over exposed if over a light background.

Dan