Author Topic: Greetings, and a Don King rifle  (Read 4777 times)

Offline Carney Pace

Re: Greetings, and a Don King rifle
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2019, 12:23:22 AM »
The picture of Don was taken at Historic Wichita Cow Town.
The BP rifle club put on demonstrations there in the 1960's and 70's
I have a Vincent Ohio .32 perc., rifle,, a Hawken pistol, and a Kentucky pistol that Don built.  Will see if I can post pictures.
Like Dan had to sell the other rifles and pistols that I had.

Carney

realtorone

« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2019, 03:20:06 AM »
Glad to see another of Don's early works. He was a true early master who did not get a lot of credit. I spent a lot of time at Don's house in Wichita being stationed at the Base there and living less than three blocks from Don 69.70 and 71. I have two rifles built by  Don a deliverer Vincent delivered in 1972 and a Bedford flint as well as we can tell made for Bill Large about 1965 to 1969. Proud to have them both,

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2019, 06:05:28 PM »
As was stated, guns are notoriously hard to photograph well. The photos you provided are not that bad, but busy backgrounds like a woodpile, or a Persian rug, or just a busy landscape, are terrible. Lighting is difficult on firearms because of all the shadows, and reflective surfaces. A old style clamp on hog light with a piece of cheese cloth stretched over the face, held in place with a big rubber band, reduces the glare, and defuse the light. A gray, or tan neutral background, without a reflective surface helps. You must always be aware of the shadows as well.
 A guy I know that photographed our local museum collection for insurance purposes, used an old one piece fiberglass shower stall, lined with photo gray material. He made a fixture that fit the drain hole with several different sizes of brass rods to accommodate different bore sizes. It worked very well.

Hungry Horse

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2019, 04:26:45 AM »
Don't know when he did this one or for who... Don stopped keeping records in 1972...
Dan

He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine