Author Topic: Hawken Help  (Read 8022 times)

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
Re: Hawken Help
« Reply #50 on: October 26, 2019, 07:08:23 PM »
Yep, that one of the many lessons these rifles teach us. Also, don't draw trig plate too deep into wood or the proper clearance of triggers to sear will close up, may cause you to have to set triggers to go into half and full cock.
 You coukld make a shim out of wood or brass stock to bring front of plate flush.
 Looks good to me,too. kepp on Hawkenin'. Dave f 8) 8)

Tizzy

« Reply #51 on: October 26, 2019, 08:12:04 PM »

Thanks for the comments Mountainman70!
I had a little bit of extra time today before going back to work, so I took some time to fix the lack of solder fill at the muzzle of the underib....finish is now gone off barrel, but that will get fixed latter. I think it looks alot better now.

Offline mountainman70

« Reply #52 on: October 26, 2019, 08:56:42 PM »
It do. You might want to get a thicker front sigbt  blade, say .080
I am in the shop sorting out stuff to sell.
Buttplates, Hawken tangs and plugs ,etcTrying the scratch up money for a flinter build.
I am about Hawken  out. Hahaha Dave  8) 8)mo
Nice toe shot.

Offline FALout

« Reply #53 on: October 26, 2019, 11:38:37 PM »
The repair at rib looks good.  If need be, you could glass in the trigger plate, some precautions to not mess up the wood finish will need to be taken.  Walnut can be soft, that is why I asked about trigger plate movement.  As mountainman70 stated, your trigger/lock function could be off due to plate moving upward, test lock and trigger function.  These kind of issues creep up on everyone on builds,  don’t get discouraged, you built a nice piece.  Get the kinks worked out and shoot some more.
Bob

Offline mountainman70

« Reply #54 on: October 26, 2019, 11:49:03 PM »
Best way I have found to test this prob is to back out tang screws 1/4 turn to start, gently tap heads down, check  trigs, keep doing this til the things are happy, then get a cold one and celebrate. Dave 8) 8)

Tizzy

« Reply #55 on: October 27, 2019, 01:48:26 AM »
Thank you gentlemen for the tips. I was lucky! When I tested triggers, all was good with functionality, no binding etc. I think I am going to look into glueing in a small wooden shim to bring the triggerplate back flush.

Offline mountainman70

« Reply #56 on: October 27, 2019, 01:54:05 AM »
Good deal. I have done that before. Keep on trukkin. Dave

Offline mesabi

• Starting Member
« Reply #57 on: October 29, 2019, 08:57:23 PM »
I keep coming back to this thread... It even made me dig out my old Hershel House "Building the Hawken Rifle" VHS.  (That's right, a VHS!)  In addition to all the wonderful help that's been offered, I have an awful lot of admiration for a guy that takes on such a project and has it looking so good.  I guess Rangers really do Lead the Way!

Tizzy

« Reply #58 on: October 30, 2019, 04:07:23 AM »
Mesabi, your attention to detail is amazing! I just want to say thank you brother for your comment. I was not a "BAT" boy but a LRS team Leader. As such, I do not consider myself a RANGER...but I do adhear to being a " Killer Mans Son", Those that are in the "know", and understand need no further explination.  RLTW!

Tizzy

« Reply #59 on: October 30, 2019, 04:30:19 AM »
Mesabi, are you located near the western part of NC?

Offline mesabi

• Starting Member
« Reply #60 on: October 30, 2019, 07:09:14 AM »
Tizzy, I'm not tabbed or scrolled, but I worked with a lot of Rangers during my service.  (I'm some kind of ranger, if you know what "mesabi" is.)

Haven't been back to NC since a motorcycle tip in 2015; prior to that I was with USASOC at Bragg and processed through SATMO during a later assignment.

Keep getting her done "till the Killer Man comes".

Tizzy

« Reply #61 on: October 30, 2019, 09:45:07 PM »
Roger that Mesabi. If you are ever back out in NC lets get together and do some shooting, or at least let me get your dinner. Take care brother.