Author Topic: New Nock lock  (Read 9219 times)

Offline Bob Roller

Re: New Nock lock
« Reply #50 on: August 19, 2019, 02:25:05 AM »
I am not a lock expert but this looks an awful lot like a Chambers’s late Ketland except for the pan. Is this lock appreciably that much better to justify the cost? Maybe for the purists who are looking to precisely reproduce an original gun, this is needed?

There is a lot of money spent on tooling for this lock and assembling it requires more
than simply assembling a group of parts.I know that in the past that the lock had to
be the cheapest part of the gun.This was a distressed market item even though fine wood
and a top of the line barrel were costly they sold readily but if anyone dared to ask a
decent price for a lock there was all kinds of static and griping.My own experiences
caused me to send most of my locks and triggers to Germany where the mindset IS
different and $3 will not kill a project. Now I do not care if anyone gripes about prices of
 my locks and we can live just fine if I never make any more of them.
Be glad there are those who will make such odd items as a gun lock and don't expect
any of us to pay anyone to buy them.
Bob Roller

Offline hen

• Starting Member
« Reply #51 on: August 19, 2019, 01:30:50 PM »
The latest pictures confirm my earlier suspicion---the pan has parallel sides; why? The development costs for this project must be substantial and they would have been no higher to get the design right instead of wrong in several important areas.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: August 19, 2019, 02:42:57 PM »
I’m not an avid student of later English flintlocks though clearly they were very refined machines. I guess not many of us gets exactly what we want when a new product comes out. To do that, we’d have to have designed it and built it. Still, it looks to be about the best PRODUCTION waterproof pan later English flintlock available (I know Bob Roller has made some beauties). I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s fast as well. I expect to see a lot of them used.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 05:24:03 PM by rich pierce »
Andover, Vermont

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #53 on: August 19, 2019, 04:10:20 PM »
The Nock flintlock I made for a target pistol project in Germany years
ago had a tapered bolster that would allow a flared lock panel and I
milled it off at the request of the German for this project.The moulds
for that plate,frizzen and cock now are in the hands of Les Barber or
Larry Zornes Mould and Gun Shop in Ohio.I think I still have a set of
these but have no interest in making a lock from them.I gave these
moulds to those two men and told them I was done and they could use them
for their own business if they wanted to. I made my own internal parts and
so far,after 40+years there have been no complaints.

Bob Roller

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #54 on: August 19, 2019, 11:49:49 PM »
The latest pictures confirm my earlier suspicion---the pan has parallel sides; why? The development costs for this project must be substantial and they would have been no higher to get the design right instead of wrong in several important areas.

The front and rear?  Well dangit, my older (with correct cock) copy has such too.  But then for two copies made by different outfits (I think) have such, how far "off" is it?   I get the cock thing now, I didn't see it at first (never stop learning).

Hold to the Wind

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #55 on: August 19, 2019, 11:58:43 PM »
The Nock flintlock I made for a target pistol project in Germany years
ago had a tapered bolster that would allow a flared lock panel and I
milled it off at the request of the German for this project.The moulds
for that plate,frizzen and cock now are in the hands of Les Barber or
Larry Zornes Mould and Gun Shop in Ohio.I think I still have a set of
these but have no interest in making a lock from them...

Bob Roller

I wonder if anyone here knows who cast up the parts/has the moulds for the Nock lock I got from Mr. Curtis.  I think he was at the end of his parts run when I got mine--about 2008.  Seems like he told me who made up the copy for him, or cast it, but I don't recall now (I didn't know anybody or any names much at that time). 

This is the first real discussion of Nock's locks and copies thereof that I recall, so pardon my ignorance, but I'm digging learning about it. Especially since I've been tweaking and shooting a version for a while now. 

No doubt I'd prefer if Mr. Roller made it, but I have two of his to utilize, plus my Nock- by other folks.
Hold to the Wind

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #56 on: August 20, 2019, 01:02:50 AM »
As I said earlier,I had a fine original Nock from the right hand side of a double barreled shotgun and
it belonged to the late Lynton McKenzie. Externally there was VERY little difference in that shotgun
lock and my version for the Germans. I have a partially finished one that has the frizzen and frizzen
spring installed and is drilled for the tumbler and bridle screws and it is already spoken for if I can
get to it.The mechanism for the Germans was inspired by a John Manton owned by a Canadian.
It's simple,good looking and very functional and so far it has been in use over there for about 40
years.As cast,these lock plates had a tapered bolster that flared from narrower at the front than
at the rear.None of them went to Germany like that nor did the few I sold over here.

Bob Roller

SteveMKentucky

« Reply #57 on: August 23, 2019, 04:55:56 PM »
Do you have any pictures??

I posted some pictures in the "For Sale" section as I have one for sale.  Look for Liston Rice English lock.

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #58 on: October 31, 2019, 09:17:16 PM »
Anybody who complains about the price of a good lock never made one. That's for sure.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.