Author Topic: Good source for buffalo horn  (Read 2444 times)

Offline Justin Urbantas

Good source for buffalo horn
« on: June 20, 2019, 11:29:33 PM »
I found a great place to find water buffalo horn for nosecaps, inlays, ramrod tips etc..cheap and easy.  Go to your local pet store, Petsmart  Petco etc...  You can usually find a few good ones in the chew treats area for dogs.  I think I paid $9 and got one big enough for 2 nose caps and a ramrod tip.

Offline Daryl

Re: Good source for buffalo horn
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2019, 11:47:50 PM »
Good tip, Justin. I think that is where this one came from.

upload images online
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Waksupi

• Ric Carter, Somers, Montana
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2019, 09:33:51 PM »
Justin, I also use buffalo horn from Petco, along with getting very nice white sections of bone for knife scales. I also occasionally find sheep horn.
Ric Carter
Somers, Montana

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2019, 12:56:37 AM »
We stopped at PetSmart for something else and I looked for buff horn.  They didn't have any and said that they never had.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline tnhillbilly

• Starting Member
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2019, 03:10:08 AM »
All skill is for nought when the angel in the flintlock *#)*^!

Offline BruceH

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2019, 03:14:03 AM »
Tractor Supply also carries them in their dog section.  Pretty cheap also.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2019, 03:39:58 PM »
Walmart has the horns in their pet section.

Offline HelmutKutz

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2019, 11:50:14 AM »
I choose to support business in the trade rather than retail importers. The Gun Works has a great selection of horns including buffalo.
HK

http://www.thegunworks.com/custprodgun.cfm?Cat2Name=Blanks&SubCat2ID=134&do=list&Cat1Name=Horns

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2019, 02:45:13 PM »
The Gun Works has a great selection of horns including buffalo.
That's Bison horn.  We're speaking of water buffalo horn.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline HelmutKutz

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2019, 04:10:47 PM »

The subject being American long rifles and water buffalo are not indigenous to North America and were not imported until the 1970s, I assumed one would wish to use the correct material from the American bison rather than water buffalo horn imported from India.
HK

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2019, 02:05:45 AM »

The subject being American long rifles and water buffalo are not indigenous to North America and were not imported until the 1970s, I assumed one would wish to use the correct material from the American bison rather than water buffalo horn imported from India.
HK

While there may not have been actual water buffalo in this country at the time, there is a fairly strong possibility that if the English would have access to it for trade then the horn itself could very conceivably been had here through the same trade.
Psalms 144

Offline HelmutKutz

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2019, 06:49:41 PM »
While there may not have been actual water buffalo in this country at the time, there is a fairly strong possibility that if the English would have access to it for trade then the horn itself could very conceivably been had here through the same trade.

Many things are "possible" but not "probable" and the reality is that cargo space aboard sail ships was a premium relegated to only the highest profit merchandise and water buffalo horn from India would not have been a high-profit item worthy of loading aboard ship. Any horn used in period times would come from local sources and based upon the history of other wares, the use of American bison by other than Native Americans did not occur until colonial traders expanded into the west. Even rare woods that commanded high prices were rarely shipped in any kind of quantities beyond their local region, thus the probability of low-value animal horns to be shipped from India to North America is extremely unlikely.
HK

Offline Nhgrants

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2019, 07:08:31 PM »
I looked at these yesterday and ended up buying one.
The last time I paid for a polished cow horn, I think it had a sticker on it that either said China or India on it.

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2019, 12:38:33 AM »

Many things are "possible" but not "probable" and the reality is that cargo space aboard sail ships was a premium relegated to only the highest profit merchandise and water buffalo horn from India would not have been a high-profit item worthy of loading aboard ship. Any horn used in period times would come from local sources and based upon the history of other wares, the use of American bison by other than Native Americans did not occur until colonial traders expanded into the west. Even rare woods that commanded high prices were rarely shipped in any kind of quantities beyond their local region, thus the probability of low-value animal horns to be shipped from India to North America is extremely unlikely.
HK

I'm sorry, but low value items came across on those ships with some frequency, granted it was in all probability already a finished item.
Psalms 144

Offline HelmutKutz

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2019, 05:59:51 PM »
I'm sorry, but low value items came across on those ships with some frequency, granted it was in all probability already a finished item.

Of course anything is possible, but the lack of period items made from Indian water buffalo horn lends high probability to the fact that cargo space was dedicated to the high-profit items. Might someone individual brought a single finished powder horn made from Indian water buffalo? Possible. But highly doubtful the numbers exceeded more than one can count on his fingers.
HK

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2019, 09:37:36 PM »
the lack of period items made from Indian water buffalo horn lends high probability to the fact that cargo space was dedicated to the high-profit items. Might someone individual brought a single finished powder horn made from Indian water buffalo?
India was under British rule.  WB horn was routinely used by British gunmakers as horn nosecaps on their guns, as well as powder "flasks", turnscrew handles, and other stuff.  Rich colonials purchased this stuff and also traveled on safari to hunt elephant, tiger, etc in the same manner that the British traveled here to hunt our buffalo and wildcat.  Many of those items can be found in Philadelphia gunsmith supply catalogs as imports to here.  It was a raw material with many uses.
Dave Kanger

-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline grabenkater

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2019, 02:00:21 AM »
Bison horn or water buffalo horn? When are you guys gonna start obsessing over growth rings in the wood used to build rifles?
When a nation forgets her skill in war, when her religion becomes a mockery, when the whole nation becomes a nation of money-grabbers, then the wild tribes, the barbarians drive in... Who will our invaders be? From whence will they come?

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2019, 02:27:44 AM »
Took a look at the WB horn at Walmart yesterday, I think it was $6.99 per horn.
But I was NOT impressed with the size!  I think they must have come from baby water buffalo!
I spent a few years in the Philippines, mid '50's.  I was 10 when we moved there, almost 13 when we left.  The people who lived around us when we lived in town (Cavite, across Manila Bay from Manila) had water buffalo - carabao - to tend the rice and cane fields.  Huge animals, and quite expensive.  They usually detailed one young lad to ride herd on them when they were not hitched to a plow.
Those big beasts, black as the ace of spades, easily weighed 2,000 lb, and the horns were about 15" across the base, and curved around to the face, most horns being in the neighborhood of 2' from base to tip.
Quite obviously a different species from the Indian water buffalo!  I imagine you could have made an entire fore end from one of the Filipino buffalo horns!  My mind reeled picturing one of those making a huge muzzle cap!  Or you could use one as a powder horn for a small cannon....
The small black one I got will make a splendid ramrod tip, or fore end tip for a half-stock.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.