General discussion > Black Powder Shooting

patch material

(1/3) > >>

jim m:
didn't want to hi jack the other thread, but it was mentioned that the quality of pillow ticking is not what it use to be. so what is the next best alternative,  linnen, denim, ??? I know there will be a lot of diferent opinions but please express them

roundball:

--- Quote from: jim m on July 29, 2008, 09:47:58 PM ---didn't want to hi jack the other thread, but it was mentioned that the quality of pillow ticking is not what it use to be. so what is the next best alternative,  linnen, denim, ??? I know there will be a lot of diferent opinions but please express them

--- End quote ---

I'd like to offer a slight ammendment to that declaration...while I've also seen a lessor quality pillow ticking in today's market, the better quality original type pillow ticking hasn't been discontinued...it simply may be stocked less often...asking the folks in a Joanne's Fabric shop about it for example should result in them at least ordering some or telling you where to find some...

jim m:
no such thing as a joannes around here, even wally world has stoped carrying fabric. ps I hate wally world, did I say I don't like walmart!! yeah I know I'm a hypocrit, cause I still shop there

Daryl:
Denim comes in different makes, of course, apparently just like Ticking.  Denim is generally listed by weight, ie: 6 pound, 8, 10, 12, etc.  Not every 'weight' comes out with the same thickness.  When it comes to using thin fabric, as in .107" or thinner, pocket drill is much better due to the thread count.  The heavier Denims, as in 8 pound through 12 pound are best suited for balls .010" to .010" under bore size. I use some 8 and 10 as it more closely hits in the .019 thorugh .022" ranges of thickenss I use most often.  I am using 8 pound from one bolt as well as 10 from another and both measure .020" - go figure.  I'm using a michrometer to measure as I was getting too much variance in calipers.  When I tighten the mic. I run the ratchet - briiiiiiiit- probably 6 to 10 clicks. Some mics are different than others. Taylor's mic, measures cloth as .002" thicker than mine does.

Dphariss:
As you point out vernier calipers are for rough estimates ::) +- .001-.002.
I use the mic when I want to know the actual size of something.

Dan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version