Author Topic: Stock blank question  (Read 1197 times)

Offline Ezra

Stock blank question
« on: July 13, 2019, 02:55:10 AM »
So, I will eventually be starting my first rifle from a stock blank after my retirement this coming January.  I have the lock and Rice is building my barrel.  Is there a standard rule of thumb regarding how to determine my overall blank stock length?  Because all I’m thinking is length of pull (~14”) plus barrel length (48”).  Maybe add 2-4” just in case.  The rifle is just a full stock early York school.  Caliber is .50.  I look forward to your comments.

Ez
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and guidance of wise men"

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
Re: Stock blank question
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2019, 03:12:51 AM »
Ez,

The trigger(s) will be about 2" behind the end of the barrel, so add that for sure.  And beware of checking on the ends of your blank that you might like to trim away.  Then, depending on how the blank is shaped, you may have to shift your pattern around some to get the best fit, grain flow thru the wrist, etc.  How long?  I'm thinking 68" minimum, but the longer the better!

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline TommyG

• "Double Trouble"
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2019, 03:36:07 AM »
I always draw a plan on craft paper of the particular gun I am going to build.  A lot easier to work out all the variables(LOP, drop,etc.) on paper than on the stock itself.  From there, transfer with tracing paper to the stock itself or make a template.  However, if you are simply looking to purchase a stock blank, I usually add 18" to the length of the barrel for a rough blank

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2019, 04:40:28 AM »
16" + the length of the barrel.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Clowdis

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2019, 03:46:43 PM »
Inlet the lock and triggers before you cut the stock for the buttplate. This way you can get the trigger pull length right on the money. Just be sure to allow a little extra wood at the toe to allow for moving the buttplate backward or forward.

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2019, 07:35:04 PM »
I always figured mine the same as Mike Brooks.  Back  of barrel plus 16"
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2019, 08:15:50 PM »
I always figured mine the same as Mike Brooks.  Back  of barrel plus 16"
Great minds etc...... ;)
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?