Author Topic: Hello from Colorado  (Read 1345 times)

Longhunter

Hello from Colorado
« on: July 10, 2019, 03:54:47 AM »
All,
    Just found this forum.  I am glad I did.  I originally grew up in Berks County, PA (home of Daniel Boone) and I can trace my lineage back to 1742 in Pennsylvania.  I have done my time serving this country in the Army (which is what brought me to Colorado), and have used just about every modern weapon system that one could think of. I have owned them all it seems.  But I have chosen to remove myself from what society feels is necessity with ultra high powered rifles and Hubble space scopes attached to hunt an animal that is a stones throw away.  I have been steadily selling most of my modern firearms and have begun to dabble into muzzle loading.  And by dabble, I mean become completely obsessed with the idea.  I have joined this forum to expand my knowledge and learn as much as I can.  I have attached my first build, so please don't be too brutal.  Yeah, it's a traditions kit of a KLR, but it's what I could afford at the time.  I hope to add more to my collection in both percussion and FL. 

Attached is a picture of my build.  The brass was aged with a vinegar solution for a few weeks to give it a nice light green patina.  The stock was sanded and dyed with Behlen's Red, after which it had 6 coats of tung oil applied.  The barrel was finished in BC Plum Brown.  With a PRB or Hornady PA Conical, I can consistently punch holes in a coffee can at 100 yards.  This is minute- of -deer and the accuracy is good for me for hunting.

I look forward to learning and trying to contribute where I can. 
-Longhunter

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
Re: Hello from Colorado
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2019, 04:57:41 AM »
Welcome to the forum,bro !! Thank you for your service. Many fellow vets,from several countries on here.
You have sho nuff lit on the right place to learn and interact with like minded folks. A good many ol hivernans here, much knowledge,and they aint afraid to share it.
Just keep open mind,and you should be thick skinned enough to handle us.
We welcome you.
Afghanvet is a good bro. Somewhat of a newbie, but he is now in neck deep.hahah.
Have a good time here. Best regards

Rifle looks good for your first one, but as you will find, betcha cant build JUST one !!!Dave f in WVa 8) 8)

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2019, 05:10:07 AM »
Welcome aboard!
Andover, Vermont

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2019, 05:21:43 AM »
Welcome Longhunter,

Sit back and enjoy the ride. Piggybacking on Dave’s comment, if you ask for a critique,  get ready for some good advice. 

Mike

Offline pjmcdonald

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2019, 05:24:29 AM »
Welcome from another new addict. I followed a similar path. One of the best things I did for myself was take a class. There are several offerings posted from time to time. I’ve been to Jim Parker’s (Bama) 4 times now. The classes at Western Kentucky are on my list for next year. Canter’s Cave in OH are highly recommended. I know I’ve seen a few more but names and places escape me at the moment.

Shows are also a great place to learn, meet a great bunch of people, and get to handle some magnificent originals and modern re-creations. Dixon’s gunmakers fair is a treat. Bill Raby has posted very good build videos. Enormous resources on this forum.

When you get ready to build your next (there is always a next...), I’d suggest you get very specific on the style you want to emulate. If you can, find a mentor. Study books, originals if you can. The library on this forum is a great start. Think of it as IPB. Then apply MDMP.

Paul

Offline msellers

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2019, 06:39:17 AM »
Welcome, I am a fairly newbie to a lot the stuff on here as well. You will get all the advice and direction you could ask for, even if you didn't know it at the time here. Since you live in CO, someone listed Jack Brooks classes a while back, I have heard good things about them. Might be close enough to you to be reasonable and aid in your quagmire of black powder addiction.
Mike

Offline Mick C

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2019, 10:31:29 PM »
Welcome!  This is absolutely the place to come and see and learn of amazing longrifles, accouterments and incredible craftsmanship. 
My profile picture is my beloved K9 best friend and soulmate, Buster Brown, who passed away in 2018.  I miss you buddy!

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2019, 12:40:50 AM »
Welcome, Longhunter.  You'll find that ALR forum is likely the best forum for anything technical and for just talking about guns and shooting.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2019, 03:15:46 AM »
Welcome Longhunter. My advice to get you started out right is this, when you sell those modern weapons you should squirrel back $1,000. if you intend to build. This should cover the costs of quality components for a quality rifle. If you intend to buy then make it a minimum of $1500.  Be warned. This is not a cheap sport! Good Luck.
American horses of Arabian descent.

Longhunter

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2019, 11:58:13 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome, all.