Author Topic: Flintlock fowler recoil  (Read 2591 times)

Offline nemovir

Flintlock fowler recoil
« on: July 11, 2019, 10:30:57 PM »
sheesh, I want every flintlock I see. :P  Now it's a flintlock fowler 20ga.
 I have an M14 in 7.62. how is the recoil on the fowler with a full power round ball load and a shot load compare to it.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 10:38:03 PM by Nemovir »

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Flintlock fowler recoil
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2019, 10:43:49 PM »
I don't know what "full power"  is, but a reasonable load in a .62 flintlock fowling gun is much softer and far less sharp than a .308. Of course it depends how well the gun fits you too.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline nemovir

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2019, 10:59:14 PM »
I don't know what "full power"  is, but a reasonable load in a .62 flintlock fowling gun is much softer and far less sharp than a .308. Of course it depends how well the gun fits you too.

Thank you. reason i ask is that I am normally the only one shooting black powder at the range, so i don't have an opportunity to try other calibers beyond .40.  With the huge plume of smoke I see on video, it appear the recoil must a lot.

Offline Ezra

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2019, 11:38:49 PM »
Relative weight of each weapon is a variable as well.

Ez
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and guidance of wise men"

Online old george

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2019, 03:10:56 PM »
I shoot 80fffg with a .60 ball and I feel no "heavy" recoil.

geo
I cannot go to Hades: Satan has a restraining order against me. :)

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2019, 04:02:39 PM »
I have a 20, I shoot around 70gr of 2F and a .595 round ball, it is pleasant to shoot. On the other hand, I have a 12, when I load it up with 100 gr of 1F and a skychief load of 1 1.2oz of #6 shot it jacks my jaw.

Both guns are very light weight with thin barrels.

Offline Standing Bear

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2019, 05:35:20 PM »
Like a shotgun of the same gauge with a comparable load.
Nothing is hard if you have the right equipment and know how to use it.  OR have friends who have both.

http://texasyouthhunting.com/

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2019, 06:31:36 PM »
A lot depends on the weight of the fowler, and how you load it. It seem the majority of shooters tend to load their smoothbores just like their rifle, when shooting round ball. A tightly patched nearly bore sized ball, and 3F powder is going to kick, especially in a light fowler. Smoothbores were traditionally loaded with paper cartridges, that don’t use a patch, or a ball close to bore size. They also shot courser slower burning powder, which generated less recoil. Native Americans did away with the paper cartridge, and simply dropped an undersized ball on top of a heavy charge of slow burning powder (1F or 2F) and covered it with a greased piece of old wool blanket. This shoots well and doesn’t generate heavy recoil.
 Shot works the same way, when you start adding 3F powder, compression wads, and nitro cards, and heaven knows what else, you can almost alway expect more recoil, and often blown patterns. Light natural wadding, that will disperse without blowing through the shot column, and greased blanket wad on top to hold the shot in is what I use.

Hungry Horse

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2019, 07:25:43 PM »
Pitch (relationship between angle of but to barrel),has a lot to do with felt recoil. Properly designed fowler with adequate load should not be a problem. I can shoot my .62 rifle in 20-30 shot matches with 95 gr 2f with no discomfort.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime Сasual Dating
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2019, 05:19:37 PM »

Thank you. reason i ask is that I am normally the only one shooting black powder at the range, so i don't have an opportunity to try other calibers beyond .40.  With the huge plume of smoke I see on video, it appear the recoil must a lot.

Don't judge it by the amount of smoke. Black powder is softer shooting than smokeless powder.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2019, 10:31:46 PM »
My 20ga eats 70 grains of 3F and a 330 grain patched ball.  I don't notice the recoil even off a bench.  80 grains of 2F is not much of a difference.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2019, 07:25:42 PM »

Fair analogy, Mike. Softer, as in lower total pounds of recoil and lower, ie: slower recoil speed. There might be higher muzzle climb due to stock geometry.

Here's the recoil of a 140gr. 2F GOEX load with a 482gr. slightly smaller than a 14 bore (.682") ball. There is a good deal of muzzle climb, but barely more than a
huge push. This is not a hard rifle (not fowler) to shoot, but does have "some' recoil - considerably more than the 7.62x51, but - it is not as sharp a snap, lower recoil speed.
I know only one guy who used 140gr. of 2 F in his 20 bore fowler. He hit the 150yard target he was shooting at and was the only one in the group of about 20 fowler shooters
 who tried that shot. There was one 28 bore shooter in the bunch, all the rest were 20 bore. The 28 bore shooter also missed.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 07:33:37 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline will payne

• AKA dead eye/ Coder /Ethical Hacker
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2019, 12:51:54 AM »
sheesh, I want every flintlock I see. :P  Now it's a flintlock fowler 20ga.
 I have an M14 in 7.62. how is the recoil on the fowler with a full power round ball load and a shot load compare to it.
"sheesh, I want every flintlock I see" I don't blame you
🕯
Will

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -Thomas Jefferson

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2019, 03:12:29 AM »
Stock design is critical.  I shoot a Chambers' Pennsylvania fowler in 20 gauge with a .609" ball, .018" spit patch and 86 grains of FFg GOEX,  A full day's shooting doesn't bother me in the least.  On the other hand, a Tulle musket of the same bore from Centre Mark will give you a black eye from that load.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.