Author Topic: Turning the base end of horns?  (Read 1651 times)

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
Turning the base end of horns?
« on: July 15, 2019, 02:02:38 AM »
I am wondering how many turn the base end of their horns?   I have tried it, but it has not worked out so well for me.   Consequently,  I use a rasp/file to even out the base end of my horns and the results aren't as good as I would like.   I had two problems turning the base end;keeping the horn on the mandrel, and being able to even out the wall thickness.    My chisel tends to follow the uneven wall rather than thin out the thick parts.   I seem to need a good bit of material to start in order to turn it round.    For the tip or bands, that isn't as much of a problem for me.   Any suggestions would be appreciated.     

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Re: Turning the base end of horns?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2019, 01:08:29 PM »
 I usually don't turn them but work them down as you do, as we have talked about, picking the horns out yourself will reduce some of the work. About the only time I turn the base is if I am making a horn where the horn fits inside the base, "V" notch some Lehigh/Berks Cos come to mind. If a horn needs a decorative line or Two at the base, York/Adams Cos after the base is squared up I use a marker gauge and if it/they need to be deeper I use a Jewelers saw with a very fine blade. Some people turn them.

Tim
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 04:59:03 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline John Proud

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2019, 04:17:06 PM »
Mark,
If it is not a French and Indian War period lobed horn I turn the base. Wet your mandrel to swell it a little just before you put the horn on, or after it fly off and you recover it on the other side of the room. No water handy? just spit on it!

Run the rpms up on your lathe to prevent the tool following the shape of the horn. At low rpms the tool tends to follow the contour of the horn. Higher speeds help to prevent that. Some times, I will rasp material off before I start turning. With the horn on a mandrel in the lathe and using the indexer to lock rotation, you can use the lathe like a vise holding the horn right where you want it.

I'll be set up at Dixon's Fair in the "horn and bag" tent. Stop by and we can talk horn.

John

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2019, 05:01:05 PM »
John,

That was very useful information.   

Thanks

Offline skillman

• The Usual Suspect
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2019, 05:25:06 AM »
I was going to post yesterday but I wanted permission from Rick. These photos are very self explanatory and I think this is a very simple method. It does not need a slow speed lathe.

[/url

[url=https://ibb.co/XsyWvXB]

free image hosting

Steve
Steve Skillman

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2019, 02:09:57 PM »
 THAT! Is pretty wild.

Tim

chilehead

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2019, 04:01:06 PM »
Pure elegance.

Offline John Proud

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2019, 04:09:31 PM »
Innovation at it best!

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2019, 04:45:42 PM »
Excellent idea Steve, bravo.

Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2019, 07:07:05 PM »
I was going to post yesterday but I wanted permission from Rick. These photos are very self explanatory and I think this is a very simple method. It does not need a slow speed lathe.

[/url

[url=https://ibb.co/XsyWvXB]

free image hosting

Steve

You ever see something so simple and obvious you can't believe it never occurred to you... Yet it never did until someone pointed it out?

Use the lathe as a mill. Simple. Elegant.

Mike

Offline skillman

• The Usual Suspect
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2019, 03:38:19 AM »
Just to be clear, this is Rick Sheets idea. I simply posted it here.

Steve
Steve Skillman