Author Topic: There is a light at the end of the tunnel  (Read 3417 times)

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
Re: There is a light at the end of the tunnel
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2019, 05:45:23 PM »
I'm looking forward to seeing that finished myself. The stock wood looks to have some interesting figure to it so what are the plans for the type and color finish in store for it?
Funny you should ask.  I had not given much thought to finishing the stock.  Sometime in the middle of last week, the project spoke to me and said it would look best with a light golden finish.   I thought about either using the pine tar and linseed oil finish or some Chambers finish based on his honey maple.  I plan to brown the barrels, trigger guard, color case harden the breech plugs and tang.  I have not made a decision on the finish for the locks and buttplate yet.
David

Offline Taylorz1

« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2019, 06:38:47 PM »
Thanks so much for  posting this gun. Building a double flintlock  has been on my bucket list for a long time. One of the most intimidating factors has been sourcing all the parts and getting them to work together. Would you be able to comment on the tubes, ribs, breech and how you approached getting the locks working together and inlet ? Thank you again

Zack

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2019, 07:16:40 PM »
Hank.
   Yes now I remember meeting you. I remember the talk and the demonstration of the air rifle. Great deal there also. You are certainly not the average gunmaker. That air rifle was amazing. 
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2019, 07:36:25 PM »
Nice gun, Dave. I really like the geometry for an upland gun.
This one does well, too.

Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Dave B

« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2019, 11:16:26 PM »
Nice work Dave. I have been keeping any eye out for barrles for a project for a double restoration. A very nice man at a gun show in Portland was trying to get rid of a an old English percussion S X S butt stock with locks sans barrels. I couldn't pass up the parts set for the 50 bucks he had on it. Did you modify a set of cartridge barrels like they show in Recreating the S X S shot gun? I looked into getting a set made for my restoration and Ed Rayl makes the sets but your looking at almost 1K to get it done. The piece is only worth maybe 700 if it was intact. I am getting an itch to bite the bullet and make up a set that fits the bill for the restoration. I picked up a copy of the Recreating the S X S shot gun a number of years ago when I first got the project. I have always admired the clean lines of your work regardless of the type of project your working on. I am really Looking forward to how it finishes out,  with out a doubt it will be fabulous.
Dave Blaisdell

Offline Mick C

« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2019, 11:23:25 PM »
Can't wait to see pictures of the finished gun!!   
My profile picture is my beloved K9 best friend and soulmate, Buster Brown, who passed away in 2018.  I miss you buddy!

Offline helwood

« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2019, 05:12:37 AM »
Very nice Dave.  I like different and you've hit it right on the nail with this.
                            Hank

Offline Long John

• Give me Liberty or give me Death
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2019, 04:30:37 PM »
Dave,

Great Progress!.  What did you use for barrels?  I used a pair of barrels made by a custom barrel maker but he refused to make them with walls less than 0.075".  This has resulted in a very heavy gun.  If I ever make another I have to get barrels with appropriate wall thickness.

Dave's observations regarding locks are right on.  My gun is French ca. 1740.  I would have preferred to use the Chambers small Siler locks and modify them to "look French" but, alas, there is no left-hand version of that delightful little lock.  I had to use the TRS #603 locks instead.

I have been side-lined on my gun while I got my PA house finished.  But now I am finding some time, here and there to get my doublegun closer to the finish-line.  It won't look as good as yours but it will be the best I can do.

Best Regards,

JMC
John Cholin

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2019, 07:47:56 PM »
  Daved as always your workmanship is outstanding. Thanks fir showing.
  Mike