Author Topic: using muffin tins for lead ingots  (Read 7287 times)

Offline Kent

• Starting Member
using muffin tins for lead ingots
« on: July 19, 2019, 12:40:09 AM »
I am going to try casting roundball and wanted to create some small, handy-size ingots.  I've read about using muffin pans as molds, but am concerned about the non-stick surface on the pans I've found.  Has anyone had problems with contamination of the lead from these non-stick surfaces?  Thanks for your help!  Kent

Offline Craig Wilcox

Re: using muffin tins for lead ingots
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2019, 12:58:29 AM »
Kent, back when I was "recycling" lead from backstops, I was lucky enough to find some aluminum-foil cupcake molds. 
I doubt that the Teflon, or whatever the lining is, will contaminate the lead.  Unless you are getting pure lead, most all of it will have one or another "contaminants" in it.  Very hard to find pure Pb unless from a scientific supplies store or the like.
But, PLEASE - worry about the muffin tins being contaminated by the lead - it is a persistent heavy metal which can cause all sorts of problems if ingested. Mark the tin with something permanent, like holes drilled around the edge, or letters stamped into the metal.
About 3/4" deep is approximately 1 pound.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline TN Longhunter

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2019, 01:02:59 AM »
I have done this for years. Instead of aluminum tins I bought a cast iron pan likely for cornbread muffins. Only used for lead and has lasted 30+ years.
Don Spires
Tennessee Longhunters
Patron Life NRA
NMLRA
CLA

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2019, 01:19:53 AM »
Well, doggoned it, Don!  I inherited a cast iron piece with a bunch (6) of hollows that look like ears of corn, apparently meant for corn bread muffins!  I could have used that to make corn bread lead muffins!
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Fyrstyk

• "All I ask of living is to have no chains on me."
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2019, 01:23:49 AM »
I picked up one of those corn bread cast iron molds at a tag sale for $.50.  It makes great 1.5# ingots.

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2019, 02:33:10 AM »
I’ve used a muffin tin for years for making my ingots. It works great, just make sure it’s sitting on concrete, as all the heat transfers to the working surface very fast...don’t ask me how I know... ::)

Mine doesn’t have a non-stick coating, and I’m sure a quick trip to the local flea market or goodwill will net you a similar pan for a buck or so.

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2019, 02:47:36 AM »
The muffin tin is what I used and I have a number of ingots stacked up along the back wall of my shop along
with heavy blocks of lead. It's all from Xray barriers and seems to be pure.

Bob Roller

Joe S

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2019, 03:17:00 AM »
I'd be cautious with Teflon coated pans. Melted lead is hot enough to cause the Teflon to decompose, which releases a lot of toxic gasses.

Offline mark esterly

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2019, 02:41:48 PM »
yea burnt teflon will kill a pet bird in a heartbeat.  it's used in hair dryers and on irons, window screen and who knows what else
living in the hope of HIS coming.......

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime Сasual Dating
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2019, 03:51:13 PM »
Now, i'm hungry for some muffins.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2019, 05:06:08 PM »
Lead or corn?
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2019, 05:10:22 PM »
I use a muffin tin.  Prior to that I used a Chevy disc brake piston.  Anything will work.  The muffin tins cool quicker than cast iron.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2019, 05:15:26 PM »
I didn't have very good luck with the one my Mrs. gave me... The ingots stuck in the pan.

Maybe I should've used some Pam. ;D

Mike

Offline Daryl

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2019, 06:17:09 PM »
I picked up some muffin tins at a garage sale (the garage was already sold, I guess). The tins did not work for me - ingots stuck hard.
I bought a couple Lyman ingot moulds and have been VERY happy casting ingots since. They are wonderful and heave handles already.
Once hard, tip over and tap- out come 4, 1 pound ingots. With my 2 and Taylor's 2, that's 16 pounds of ingots each pour.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2019, 08:06:49 PM »
I've used both muffin tins and mini loaf tins and have had no issues with either - works great ;)

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime Сasual Dating
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2019, 10:01:41 PM »
Lead or corn?

Corn or blueberry. My teeth stick in the lead.

sespe

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2019, 03:38:29 AM »
I never had them stick in the cups.  Must have been lucky.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2019, 09:01:59 AM »
I never had them stick in the cups.  Must have been lucky.

or just different material?
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline JBJ

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2019, 04:25:15 PM »
I had miserable luck with a cheap, aluminum muffin pan. It distorted badly but, like I said it was CHEAP and THIN! Much better luck with a steel pan. Abandoned that pan after picking up a Saceo and a Lyman ingot at a local flea market.
J.B.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2019, 04:39:05 PM »
I melt my lead I a cast iron pot I bought at a flea market and use a coleman stove hooked up to a 20# propane bottle.

I just dump out the lead after it cools and have my "ingot", actually lots of them from melting range lead, all from BP guns at a range where they hold the Alabama M/L championships and nothing else. All my ingots fit right back in my pot when I want to cast again. They vary from 10# to 20#

Offline Brokennock

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2019, 04:54:47 PM »
I make muffin pan ingots that fit perfect in my little electric pot that I can pour directly out of when casting. I flux/clean the bulk lead melted in a big cast iron pot on a turkey fried burner and ladle the clean lead into the muffin pan. I candle soot the muffin pan 1st, just like I do my molds. I bought a cheap steel (or aluminum, can't remember) muffin pan without coating at Walmart. I've seen them at goodwill stores too.
I did have one muffin mold separate from the rest of the pan when trying to get an ingot out, before I started sooting it with candle 1st. It was a corner mold so gives me a good way to hang the pan from a nail or peg for storage.

Offline Kent

• Starting Member
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2019, 10:53:32 PM »
Thanks for all your advice (and bad jokes). I did find a flimsy steel muffin pan at Target that is good for one use, but is cheap.  I got my lead from Rotometals on sale for about $2/lb including shipping.  It's advertised as 99.9% pure.  I melted it in a cast iron pan over a large propane burner and it's all in ingots now.  Thanks for your help!

Kent

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2019, 06:58:51 PM »
The Lee ingot mold is $12.  The ingots fit in pot nicely and are stack-able.   I put a damp towel in an old metal pan.  After pouting the ingots I put mold on the damp towel to solidify the lead.  I spray pain the lead with a spit coat , color coded to that it is, pure or whatever.  I also stamp them "P" for pure, "W" for wheel weights etc. 

Offline Nessmuck

« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2019, 04:31:19 AM »

Makes you eyes red..just looking at it......

Offline nemovir

« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2019, 06:16:11 PM »
Yea, I use Lee ingot molds,  I would rather pay the extra amount than worrying someone may use the muffin tins for baking.