Author Topic: Coming soon! Laubach CNC German lock  (Read 8027 times)

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
Coming soon! Laubach CNC German lock
« on: July 24, 2019, 03:43:22 PM »
Just talked to Chris Laubach yesterday and he is closing in on the first run of his new CNC-machined German lock.  I'm going to post a number of pictures below of his prototype so you can all see for yourself, but I have to say I am freaking excited.  It is directly copied from a 1740s chiseled German lock, however he's making it plain/undecorated so that it can suitably be utilized for either German or American rifles, fowlers etc.  This looks like it is going to be a spectacular lock for use with American work such as any of the early Moravian-associated pieces or really anything interpretational of the 1740s through 1760s period; I think it could be a great representation of a German import piece. 

He told me that all CNC work is performed in-house and the exterior of the plate and cock will be taken to approximately 400 grit.  Locks will be fully assembled and functional just like any other commercial lock and all interior components will be hardened and tempered (including the bridle!).  And... (drum roll):  FORGED SPRINGS!  Yes, that's correct, all three springs are forged.  Furthermore, the frizzen will be made of a lower carbon steel and deeply *casehardened* for best sparking ability (we discussed this point quite a bit and Chris clearly has researched this point thoroughly).

JMHO but I think there will be considerably less cleanup work involved with these by the gun stocker than with the typical investment cast lock.  Currently, I think he plans to have the first run of these ready sometime early in the fall and he's also working on a new website specifically for his lock business as this is just the first of a number of locks that he has planned.  The website is https://firelocksllc.com/ .  I think he's doing something on Facebook also but I don't really know much about social media so I'll have to wait until one of my girls comes back home so she can find it for me.

Chris will be at Dixon's this weekend and will have his prototype with him so I'd highly advise everyone to find him and take a good look.

Original 1740s German lock:

The new lock:

« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 04:07:29 PM by Eric Kettenburg »
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
Re: Coming soon! Laubach CNC German lock
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2019, 03:51:47 PM »

Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2019, 04:36:08 PM »
I’ve been following this. I hope he’s got a list because I asked to be in on the first batch.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2019, 04:38:14 PM »
It looks a very nice lock, Eric.

The only thing I can see that needs a little fixing, is the lower breast of the cock, but it is all Very nicely machined!

Richard.

Offline sz

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2019, 04:38:39 PM »
Wow! Just beautiful.
Can you give us dimensions?  And a guess as to the price?

I think he should do a left hand version too.  With CNC machining a reverse pattern is not all that hard to do.  Some re-writing is needed to make sure the computer doesn't go to all L.H. threads and so on, but overall, such a change is fairly easy.

Offline chris laubach

• Marietta, Pa
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2019, 04:57:55 PM »
It looks a very nice lock, Eric.

The only thing I can see that needs a little fixing, is the lower breast of the cock, but it is all Very nicely machined!

Richard.

Hi Richard,
Please understand this lock is within.005” of the original lock.

Thanks
Chris

Offline Chris Evrard

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2019, 06:03:07 PM »
Lookin' forward to holdin' and workin' it this weekend! Pretty piece.....

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2019, 06:44:50 PM »
Wow! Just beautiful.
Can you give us dimensions?  And a guess as to the price?

I think he should do a left hand version too.  With CNC machining a reverse pattern is not all that hard to do.  Some re-writing is needed to make sure the computer doesn't go to all L.H. threads and so on, but overall, such a change is fairly easy.

What about it Chris? It would be a big hit with us south paws.

Best regards

Rolf

Offline Kevin

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2019, 08:01:04 PM »
Many thanks for sharing the photos.  It's great to see such products come to market.

Offline Justin Urbantas

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2019, 08:24:14 PM »
I'm excited to get one of these.   It will be perfect to go along with the Jaeger castings I got from Ron Scott.

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2019, 08:25:44 PM »
All I can say is -- WOW -- 8) ;). If it performs as good as it looks it is sure to be a winner!!! I can just imagine all the time this lock will save the builder!
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2019, 12:28:45 AM »
I particularly like the blind screws.   :)

Chris will have to answer here if he has a chance about the length, as when I was talking to him, he didn't have one in front of him to measure exactly.  I just asked if it was "rifle size" which is an affirmative, so I'd guess somewhere in the 5.25 to 6" range of length given the dating of the original.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2019, 02:20:25 AM »
This lock looks like it will fit/blend into the wrist architecture very well on a lot of early guns. JMHO

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2019, 02:36:22 AM »
That’s a beauty!!!!

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline chris laubach

• Marietta, Pa
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2019, 03:30:18 AM »
Hello All,

The length is roughly 5 3/4" long.
A left hand lock could easily be produced as the locks are made from a 3D CAD file. At some point we do plan on posting a list and when there is enough interest we will make a small run.
If you guys have any other question let me know.

Thanks,
Chris

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2019, 03:41:06 AM »
Laubach is set to change the lock industry how Jim Kibler revolutionized the kits.

Offline Justin Urbantas

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2019, 04:28:03 AM »
Do you know what the price will be, Chris? Any ideas on what your next type of lock?

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2019, 04:23:59 PM »
Beautiful lock!!!! Put me on the LH list.
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline Ezra

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2019, 09:36:32 PM »
May I respectfully suggest starting a thread soliciting interest (so long as Dennis Glazener has no issues), or even financial commitment, so Chris can get the first run done and out into the public?  I know I’d commit to buying one.

Ez
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and guidance of wise men"

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2019, 09:44:05 PM »
May I respectfully suggest starting a thread soliciting interest (so long as Dennis Glazener has no issues), or even financial commitment, so Chris can get the first run done and out into the public?  I know I’d commit to buying one.

Ez

Good suggestion!! I'd sign up for a left handed Lock.

Best regards
Rolf

Offline Ezra

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2019, 12:04:15 AM »
Regarding a lock like this, Germanic, circa 1740.  Is it credible that such a lock could have been used in an early Lancaster style rifle?  Have we any known examples of something similar from the Lancaster school?

Ez
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and guidance of wise men"

Offline SingleMalt

• One day I'll be considered a good builder.
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2019, 05:18:22 PM »
The question is, "Does it work?"  Chris sent me this video yesterday and posted it on Youtube.  Oh boy, does it work!  ;D

Never drink whisky that isn't old enough to vote.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."- Plato

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."

Offline FALout

« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2019, 12:45:32 AM »
I can’t wait for these to be available, I would like to buy one.
Bob

Offline gusd

« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2019, 05:28:56 PM »
Had one in hand Sat., Absolutely Beautiful. Boy does it spark!!
Should take about an hour to engrave like the original! HaHa :o ;D
Gus

Offline sqrldog

« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2019, 05:56:11 PM »
I noticed on a couple of websites that Chris Laubach is considering a run of left handed Germanic locks if he can get orders for a hundred left handed locks. I signed up for one as I have a left handed grandson. So lefties time to sign up. Tim