Author Topic: My First Flintlock and I Already Have Questions  (Read 1884 times)

Supermarine10

My First Flintlock and I Already Have Questions
« on: July 25, 2019, 05:04:42 PM »
I recently bought my first flintlock rifle off of Gunboards the other day. It's a Lancaster style with browned parts, spring-loaded patch box, and a swamped barrel. My first question is about the caliber. This rifle was sold to me as a .50, but upon removing the barrel I found a marking underneath that said "54 C" I immediately thought of a .54 C weight swamped barrel. The seller also didn't even mention the swamped barrel in the WTS ad. Is there any way I could check this before I buy any round balls? There isn't really anywhere around here that sells round balls, so I would have to order them and I'd hate to get the wrong one and have to pay return shipping. My next question is about the sights. The ones that are currently on it are terrible. The builder didn't make the rear sight level so it is canted up and shows light underneath it. Because of the angle of the rear sight, someone modified the front sight by nailing and extension onto it. What would be the typical sights for a Lancaster style rifle? My preferred sight picture is a barleycorn sight with a sharp "V", and an inverted "V" for the front blade. Would this be something typical/acceptable for this rifle? Also if anyone knows a place that sells sights like these please inform me. I would like to get into flintlock deer hunting and I could use some help on deciding what loads and ball sizes I should use. I know this could be difficult without specifics on the caliber. Any info is helpful and appreciated.

Thanks,

Daryl

Offline Bigmon

Re: My First Flintlock and I Already Have Questions
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2019, 05:14:36 PM »
Where are ya located?  Might be someone near could help you.  Photos would also help?

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2019, 05:14:44 PM »
A dial caliper can give you your caliber answer.
As for the sights, Track of the Wolf sells both front and rear sights, many rear sights with no notch cut so that you can modify to your own liking. Just make sure that the base is long enough for the dovetail.
Stop Marxism in America

Supermarine10

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2019, 05:16:45 PM »
I am located in New Castle, IN.

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime Сasual Dating
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2019, 06:44:45 PM »
A .50 cal will be a little under 1/2". A .54 a little over 1/2". You can probably see it with a ruler.

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2019, 07:40:33 PM »
The advise you already have been given is all you probably need. Post some detailed pictures of top of barrel with a ruler, and of the front and rear sights. As a former "cap gun" shooter: welcome to the flintlock fold. If you are not well versed in flintlocks buy the book: Flintlocks A Practical Guide for their Use and Appreciation by Eric A. Bye. Read it cover to cover then reread it you will thank me.

"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline Daryl

Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2019, 08:04:51 PM »
https://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/880/1

Just an observation. The rear sights I have ordered from TOW did not a
have the notch cut but those shown look like they do. I believe I would call before I ordered to make sure since you mentioned wanting a vee style rear notch.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2019, 12:14:01 AM »
Oh I forgot to mention when your pals say you can't hit anything with a firelock, here is my answer.
I am just finishing load development on my new Lowell Haarer .54 caliber flintlock. I have setteled on 75 grains of Goex 3F, .530 Hornady round ball, with either a .010 or .015 pillow ticking spit patch. Yes I still have to tap the sight one more time but that is the last thing I do. Both patches work the same if there is any edge it might go to the .015 but not enough to make up for how much harder it is to push down the barrel.
The target picture was from today at the end of the day in a very dirty barrel. 50 yards from a bench, no wind, bright sunny day. The center diamond is 6-inches point to point. This is a 3 shot group measuring 7/8-inch the 2 outside holes are with the .010 patch the center hole (yes there is one) is using the .015 patch.
As to the hat: after you kick your friends ass, slip one of these on and tell them: "If God wanted you to shoot caps he would have scattered them on the ground instead of flint.

"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline Dave witty

• Starting Member
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2019, 02:02:39 AM »
hay you are in Greencastle i live i brazil Ibeen shooting flint for about 25 years I a member of buck creek muzzleloders in linton I like to get you going email me at Dwitty@ccrtc.com if you want

Supermarine10

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2019, 03:55:27 AM »
Thank you all for such wonderful tips and such positive insights to the sport. I can confirm that without a doubt this is a .54 caliber rifle. I have already picked out some sights thanks to the recommendations to order from track of the wolf. I can't wait to get some shooting done and hopefully my next post will be about how my gun is more accurate than I can hold it steady.

Offline trentOH

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2019, 01:24:52 PM »
Get thee down to Friendship Indiana for the national championship shoot of the National Muzzleloading Rifle Association from September 14-21. You'll find friendly folks ready to help a new flinter, and early in the shoot, plenty of vendors with all of the stuff you'll need or want. And members can do more shooting than you can imagine.

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2019, 03:56:49 PM »
Since you are in New Castle you could also contact Allan Coon down in Glenwood. They have a fine club and range at Allan's farm. Allan's email is; awcoon@yahoo.com.
Mark
Mark