Author Topic: Case for a pattern  (Read 2623 times)

Offline VP

Case for a pattern
« on: July 05, 2009, 08:16:05 PM »
One of my goals for Dixon's this year was to purchase the parts necessary to attempt to build a Leigh style rifle. I favor the style of gun, especially RCA #57 by Herman Rupp or a Jacob Kuntz. I have a lot of reference material and lots of photographs of antiques and contemporary guns. I understand, after listening to Eric's seminar last year at Dixon's I could develop a pattern from these sources. However as a new builder I would be more comfortable with a full size pattern to develop the complex architecture. Would someone have a pattern I could copy at Dixon's or a close contemporary that I could pattern? I used the info from Eric's seminar to develop the equipment to make a pattern. If this is possible, I would be glad to try to make the pattern a series of 8 x 11 match line drawings that could be reproduced by anyone with a common printer. I think these would be a valuable asset to have placed on the ALR for all schools of guns along with the photos of the guns, at least for us Newbie's. Can anyone help?

Van Pitman

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
Re: Case for a pattern
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 12:04:41 AM »
I for one, and probably many others, would LOVE go have full sized drawings of many styles of longrifles.  Especially Lehighs.  The problem that I see, is that most of the REAL builders, (myself NOT included), have spent countless hours designing, redesigning, drawing, cutting, redrawing, and re-cutting to come up with their designs.  I'm sure that most would not be willing to share all those trade secrets.  Kind of like giving away an investment that you've made for your future.  "Tricks of the Trade", so to speak.
However, I would stand in line to get said drawings, even at a fee!! 
I was given a full size interpretation of the H Rupp from the lock back a few years ago.  I've used this to build one gun, and will use for a couple more, but there are still a lot of details that still have to be guessed at and adapted to make that work out, ( I guess that's the artistic interpretation we are supposed to possess), so a full sized set of drawings would be just incredible.  Just not sure what the great builders of these guns would be willing to  give, and or stop giving their hard earned details.         
In His grip,

Dane

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 04:12:30 AM »
When you are at Dixon's check out some of the Lehigh rifles done by some of the good contemporary builders, such as
Allen Martin, Eric Kettenberg, etc.    They have developed their own patterns with an appropriate drop in the buttstock that will allow you to aim the gun well, even some of the originals have a problem in this area.   Just several months ago
I did some repair work on a Lehigh done by a well know gunbuilder, unfortunately, it was a terrible gun architecturally....
it was impossible to aim the thing, you could not get low enough on the comb to align the sights, and the gentleman that
bought it paid a lot of money for it.      Don

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 05:26:07 AM »
Eric von Aschwege has full sized drawings, one is for a Kuntz. He may have some for his Lehigh's, too.
Ask him before he heads to Dixon's.

Acer
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.