Author Topic: how is this carving?  (Read 5545 times)

pintail_drake2004

how is this carving?
« on: July 05, 2009, 10:22:07 PM »
Hello gents, i am building my 1st muzzleloader-early lancaster .54- and i wanted to add a carving to the stock. I was wondering if this leaf would be PC? hows it look? this is on a scrap maple block. what do i need to do different? add/subtract? i have practiced this leaf about 50 times, when it looked pretty good i finished it on the plank and took a picture.

i really appreciate the help.
Pintail

Offline flintriflesmith

• Flintriflesmith
Re: how is this carving?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 10:51:21 PM »
Part of the answer to your question depends on exactly where on the stock you plan to put this pattern. For something coming off the lock end of the cheek piece or as part of the tang carving it might be okay. As a major feature behind the cheek it oriented oddly and  doesn't look like most Lancaster carving.

Can you post a picture of the detail drawn on your stock?

Gary
"If you accept your thoughts as facts, then you will no longer be looking for new information, because you assume that you have all the answers."
http://flintriflesmith.com

pintail_drake2004

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009, 10:56:03 PM »
I havent put anything on the stock yet. I was just wondering what would look right. I have tried to find some reference for c and s scrolls but have not had much luck. Is there some place online that i could look and find a scroll like that.

Offline LynnC

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2009, 11:35:53 PM »
Check the Tutorial section.

"Relief Carving" by Acer

Really helped with my carving....................Lynn
The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......

pintail_drake2004

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 12:55:19 AM »
i read his tutorial several times. ive been lurking on this site for a while now. Still dont know were to find some patterns, or whatever to give me an idea for c and s scrolls

J.D.

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 01:20:53 AM »
There are a number detailed photos of Lancaster rifles in the ALR Library and virtual museum?  I'm sure that you can get some ideas from the carving on the rifles  Illustrated there.

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?board=111.0

God bless

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2009, 02:23:45 AM »
Pintail
Probably the best place for ideas would be a copy of Shumway"s Rifle of Colonial America book.It's available from many source and well worth the money.Plenty of pattern and ideas in there.

Mitch
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 02:24:49 AM by tallbear »

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2009, 03:01:59 AM »
You're doing great for a beginner, have the desire and sharp tools and skill.  A leaft like that would be out of place on an original but if you can do what you've done there, you can learn to carve designs commonly found on original pieces.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2009, 03:53:48 AM »
I remember an old fellow in town that was always polishing his cars, kept them covered in the garage, etc.    This was back in the 50's, when Buick's had those portholes in the front fenders.   He went out and bought a new Chrysler Imperial and guess what, the first thing he did was put portholes in the front fenders.  What I'm trying to say is, don't
put leaves where they don't belong.   Please....go and study some pictures of good carved kentuckies and try to duplicate
the appropriate carving for the gun you are going to build, it will look so much better..........Don

Offline RobertS

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2009, 04:03:01 AM »
Another great source of pictures is http://www.contemporarymakers.blogspot.com/.  There is a wealth of information, but you may have to do some searching to find exactly what you are looking for.  You won't mind the searching, by the way.

Bioprof

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2009, 07:01:51 AM »
David Price also has an excellent carving tutorial in the ALR archives:

http://americanlongrifles.org/old_board/index.php?topic=64.0