Author Topic: JG rifle  (Read 1990 times)

Offline WElliott

• member 2
JG rifle
« on: July 29, 2019, 10:30:41 PM »
I just acquired this Southern poboy rifle with “JG” in script on the barrel. Input as to the likely maker and place of origin would be appreciated. 57 1/4” overall, 41 7/8” x 1” barrell, .34 caliber, 5 1/2” tang.

Wayne Elliott

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

Re: JG rifle
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2019, 02:14:03 AM »
 ;) ;)... nice, interesting hog rifle, Wayne,... thanx for posting,... are you thinking one of the N. Georgia Gillespies,...? ... I have never seen one by any of them signed in fancy script,...  Gerald had a rifle a couple years back with that same unusual comb style,... don't know if he ever found who the builder was,... is the breech tang spear-point,..? ... about what calibre,..?... I like the plain strap trigger-guard that is nailed on, too,.. ... I will be following this, and hopeing someone can help,.... regards, Cades Cove Fiddler,...

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2019, 03:04:34 AM »
;) ;)... nice, interesting hog rifle, Wayne,... thanx for posting,... are you thinking one of the N. Georgia Gillespies,...? ... I have never seen one by any of them signed in fancy script,...  Gerald had a rifle a couple years back with that same unusual comb style,... don't know if he ever found who the builder was,... is the breech tang spear-point,..? ... about what calibre,..?... I like the plain strap trigger-guard that is nailed on, too,.. ... I will be following this, and hopeing someone can help,.... regards, Cades Cove Fiddler,...

CCF, I looked at Wayne's rifle earlier and I did not see the first Gillespie trait on it. It's a neat rifle, hopefully someone can I'd it.

I would think the nose of the stock comb might be something someone would recognize.
Dennis

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Online Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2019, 03:54:12 AM »
There was a gunmaker here in Hampshire County born 1834.  He left here sometime just after he learned to make rifles.  He is in Kansas in 1860 listed as a gunsmith.  Then he marries in Cynthiana KY in 1867.  He resides there until his death in 1904.  He is listed as gunsmith in some of the census records.   His name is Joshua J Good.  I never seen any of his rifles he made here but think they would be typical HC style.  Could this rifle be made by him in KY?  Long shot I know.

Offline shortbarrel

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2019, 12:39:53 AM »
pictures are fine, but if you had given more specs on the gun someone might could help you. i have had many on these old hog rifles over the years. the first thing i look for is the original builders skill. second thing i look for is how much the rifle has been altered by inept people. if had this rifle in my hand, i could tell you a story. not the maker but the rifle. my brother and i are in the process of selling off a collection of rifles we made or rebuilt. we are in our eights. this post is buried down about 2 days. if someone reads it leave a message or pm me and we can taught.

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
  • F. & A.M. Helion #1; 3rd SFG(ABN)
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2019, 05:07:02 AM »
I bet it’s a recycled barrel. Looks familiar and think it’s a Joseph Gibbons barrel.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 05:14:46 AM by Sequatchie Rifle »
"We fight not for glory, nor riches nor honors, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.” Declaration of Arbroath, 1320