Author Topic: French fusil and barrel questions  (Read 1439 times)

Offline Ezra

French fusil and barrel questions
« on: July 29, 2019, 01:06:28 AM »
Guys,

I am retiring at the end of January 2020.  I continue to collect components for builds that, God willing, I will be working on during this long looked forward to time.  Anyway, one of many projects I hope to get to is a very long barrelled French fusil.  I have read a fair amount about the French presence in North America and the firearms they used, both military and non-military.  However, other than the overall length of my desired barrel (51.14”, or 4 pied), I need some guidance on barrel dimensions, both from a safety as well as a practicality point of view.  I need recommendations for breech, waist and muzzle.  The fusil will be used, nearly exclusively, for shooting patched roundball.  I am not an adherent to using overly heavy powder charges anyway, but I do, obviously, want it to be a safe, non-whippy barrel.  Lastly, I recognize just by virtue of length, the fusil will be heavy, that is understood and accepted.  I’m not worried about it, it is what it is.  My plan is to have Bobby Hoyt make the barrel.  Thanks guys.

Please see below.

16 bore (for round ball)

Length (51.14", or 4 pied)

Octagon to round (5" octagon)

Breech - ?

Waist - ?

Muzzle - ?

Ez

« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 01:18:03 AM by Ezra »
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and guidance of wise men"

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: French fusil and barrel questions
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2019, 02:14:24 AM »
Bob Hoyt has a pattern off of my original ca. 1740-ish trade gun barrel, it is exactly what you'll want. Call him and mention my barrel.
 My original barrel is a 20 bore, around 1 1/4" at the breech and is Oct fading to round, there is no flare at the muzzle, which is correct for a trade gun. I usually have him make it at 53 1/4".
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Ezra

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2019, 06:02:20 AM »
Excellent Mike, thank you.

Ez

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2019, 03:00:17 PM »
Hi Ezra,
When I get home from Dixon's I'll PM you dimensions from an original French barrel that is 4.5 pieds (about 57") and about 20 gauge.  Based on my references the most common gauge for hunting guns (not military versions) was 28 balls/livre (a little larger than a pound) or about 0.56 caliber.  However, 18 to 20 gauge were common.  The fowler with that barrel weighs 6lbs 6 oz.  It also has a flat sighting plane that extends all the way to the front sight.

dave
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 04:22:45 PM by smart dog »
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline axelp

• TomBob Outdoors, LLC.
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2019, 02:15:27 AM »
John Getz is making a pretty sweet french barrel from a Kit Ravenshear pattern.
Galations 2:20

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2019, 02:23:19 AM »

Be careful.
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline Ezra

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2019, 02:32:56 AM »

Be careful.

I’m not sure I understand your caution.

Ez

Offline alex e.

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2019, 03:57:17 AM »
Larry Horrigan in Michigan.
He has dozens of barrel dimensions on record all documented.
He can do a barrel up to 60 inches.
He lives and breathes French guns.
He'll most certainly make you a barrel leaps and bounds faster than anyone else.
I usually have to wait about two weeks,but he is a friend of mine!
Uva uvam videndo varia fit

Offline axelp

• TomBob Outdoors, LLC.
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2019, 04:56:11 AM »
yes Burnt what is the concern?
Galations 2:20

Offline fahnenschmied

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2019, 09:17:07 PM »
There shouldn't be any concern with safety as regards barrel weight.  Many modern barrels are much heavier than old ones were. There is no reason your fusil needs to be heavy - properly done a four foot barrel gun need not weigh much more than eight pounds, if that.  I dont know how much more pressure you might have using the current fad of a patched round ball over the traditional wadding - probably not much, if any.  Practiacal would be one not heavier than an original.  Ive seen some replica barrels a full 3/16 thick at the muzzle, and so unwieldy at four feet that way.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2019, 02:07:08 AM »
Hi,
I believe what "burnt" is referring to is that Getz Barrel Co. has gone through a rough patch over the last few years, both personally for the owner and business wise and they struggled to get orders filled in a timely fashion.  However, word I've heard is that it is getting back on its feet.
dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Ezra

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2019, 03:46:33 AM »
Hi,
I believe what "burnt" is referring to is that Getz Barrel Co. has gone through a rough patch over the last few years, both personally for the owner and business wise and they struggled to get orders filled in a timely fashion.  However, word I've heard is that it is getting back on its feet.
dave

Well, I’ve been out of the loop for sometime now, compounded by the fact that geography places me nearly 3000 miles West of most of you characters.  I had read, some time ago, that Don Getz’ (may he rest in peace) son, John (?), was having some medical challenges.  Regardless, he is a student of a master.  I hope all Getz Barrel Company gets up and running if that is his objective.

Ez