Author Topic: rifle from JM Davis auction  (Read 2419 times)

Offline cshirsch

rifle from JM Davis auction
« on: July 30, 2019, 10:43:49 PM »
The was one rifle I really wanted from the JM Davis auction.  I waited until past 10:30pm until it finally came up.  Luckily it went for a reasonable price.  I had not seen this patchbox before and could not seem to find one like it in my research.  I got a tip from a fellow collector and it makes a lot of sense now.  This rifle has a lot of traits of Samuel States (Bucks County) work.  He seemed to make his boxes that did not follow typical regional styles.  Each one seemed unique.  This would explain why I could not find a similar example.  Anyway, I am very anxious to get this one in my hands. 

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Re: rifle from JM Davis auction
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2019, 10:51:14 PM »
I think I can see some engraving on it that shares attributes with mine.  Particularly around the lower sideplate screw
next to the buttplate.  The architecture seems to match as well.
I'm hoping to see more pictures of your's when it arrives.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 10:54:28 PM by Shreckmeister »
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline lexington1

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2019, 11:17:57 PM »
It looks like a really nice rifle for the price! Nice patchbox. I wanted to bid on a couple of project guns that I saw, but I had an event I had to attend and held out till the last second to bid on the 2nd rifle I got. Here is the first. I thought it was kind of interesting.

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2019, 11:21:00 PM »
I think I can see some engraving on it that shares attributes with mine.  Particularly around the lower sideplate screw
next to the buttplate.  The architecture seems to match as well.
I'm hoping to see more pictures of your's when it arrives.

That box is insane! The builder must have had something to prove to somebody because he raised the bar to nearly impossible heights. There must be a half a pound of wood screws holding that box down! What a beautiful piece of folk art.
Bravo. I’d like to own that gun. Thanks for sharing.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 11:51:30 PM by Stoner creek »
Stop Marxism in America

Offline cshirsch

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2019, 11:22:34 PM »
Oh yes, I remember that gun.  Very cool.  I doubt that we will ever see another auction like that.  So many project guns, junk and treasures.   Just too bad about the fake Hawken going for so much money.  :-( 

It looks like a really nice rifle for the price! Nice patchbox. I wanted to bid on a couple of project guns that I saw, but I had an event I had to attend and held out till the last second to bid on the 2nd rifle I got. Here is the first. I thought it was kind of interesting.

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2019, 01:15:08 AM »
Delaware daisy!  That's what I call them.  Eastern Bucks Co. along the Delaware and up river to Easton.  You will see these symmetrical daisy finial boxes.  Often they are misidentified as Lancaster rifles because of the daisy.  There are a few of them around by different makers, I know of at least two that are signed Young family (Easton) and one unsigned John Young that was on antiques roadshow @15 years ago and also misidentified as a Lancaster rifle, very spectacular rifle.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline cshirsch

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2019, 02:06:12 AM »
This is one by a scarce Lancaster maker, John Guest.  He used this unique version of the daisy box.  From my collection.

Delaware daisy!  That's what I call them.  Eastern Bucks Co. along the Delaware and up river to Easton.  You will see these symmetrical daisy finial boxes.  Often they are misidentified as Lancaster rifles because of the daisy.  There are a few of them around by different makers, I know of at least two that are signed Young family (Easton) and one unsigned John Young that was on antiques roadshow @15 years ago and also misidentified as a Lancaster rifle, very spectacular rifle.

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2019, 02:17:22 AM »
Very nice rifle, agreed.  But that's not a Delaware river rifle.  The first rifle you pictured is the classic form - the long, sloping neck in symmetrical fashion and topped by the daisy.  Also, the entire box itself tends to be symmetrical, unlike Lancaster area boxes.  Both sideplates along the box lid will tend to be symmetrical as well as the entire finial.  I think I recall at least one unsigned William Antes (attributed) with a box along these lines as well.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2019, 06:07:57 AM »
 :o :o :o... well done, Chris,... a converted flint lock as well,... will you restore back to flint,......?

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2019, 02:45:28 PM »
The more I look at it, the more I'm convinced it's one of the 'younger' Youngs, possibly Henry Young, or at the least has some connection to the Easton area.  Very nice architecture, really nice piece and I do love that box.

Offline 120RIR

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2019, 05:22:56 PM »
Eric's reference to the eastern Bucks County and Easton rifles reminded me of a question I've been mulling over for some time.  With N.J. being just across the river, are there any known rifle makers from the adjacent N.J. counties - Hunterdon and Warren in particular?  Or - was the Delaware River not only a physical boundary but a cultural one as well with few of the traits and influences that led to the evolution and production of the longrifle crossing over said boundary from in many cases, just a few hundred yards away?

Offline cshirsch

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2019, 06:36:57 PM »
Yes, most likely will.

:o :o :o... well done, Chris,... a converted flint lock as well,... will you restore back to flint,......?