Offline Angus

Re: Jaeger
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2019, 04:34:26 AM »
this will be gorgeous when done.

Offline Monty59

« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2019, 11:12:21 AM »
Hello Adrie luke,
you have a lot of stills, but I think the same like Mike Brooks you must handle a original jeager the architecture looks not correctly to me. Also the area under the lock is wrong I think.
I have five original jeager rifles in my collection which I just looked at again if you had them in hand would you recognize it immediately. I would be glad to see the rifle completely finished
sometimes everything looks quite different on a finished one.

Monty
« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 11:18:33 AM by Monty59 »

Offline Adrie luke

« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2019, 01:45:23 PM »
Hello Monto

All my respect to Mike Brooks and for all the help I get
Is this what you main? [picture].
Is it possible you sent me some pictures of what you mean by pm?

Thanks, Adrie

Offline Justin Urbantas

« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2019, 06:21:39 PM »
You do some excellent work, and this is a great project, but I am with the others about your architecture.
For me, the most glaring issue are your lock panels, they should be transitioned without the cut in steps all around them. They should flow to the wrist, and to the trigger, right from the lock panel edge. I have circled in red what I mean in the picture.   It's hard to explain, but should look something like the other picture.

Offline Adrie luke

« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2019, 08:04:47 PM »
Is this the good way?

Offline Monty59

« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2019, 08:17:41 PM »
now that looks much better !

Monty

Offline Justin Urbantas

« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2019, 01:00:25 AM »
Much better!

Offline Chowmi

« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2019, 04:41:53 AM »
Adrie,
Nice work on your first full scale rifle!

I think there is still some work that could be done on around the lock, and lock panels.  It's hard to tell from the pictures. 
I also wonder if there is more wood that needs to be removed from the forestock. 

Will you still have it when I see you on New Year's Day?  I'd like to look at it and see if I can help with the shaping of the stock. I'm not an expert on Jaegers at all, but I think I can help you get close.

Cheers,
Norm
Cheers,
Chowmi

NMLRA
CLA

Offline Adrie luke

« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2019, 07:07:00 PM »
Mike,

I hide myself by saying "I help Hans".
You are right, when you do something you have to do it good.

Norm,

I do not have the ramrod pipes, Hans has to order these.
When I have these ramrod pipes and fit them in, than I can remove more wood from the forestock.
I see you New Years' Day and than we will talk about everything.

Greetings, Adrie.

Offline Chowmi

« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2019, 07:13:55 PM »
Adrie,
sounds good, I look forward to seeing you!

Your carving looks very nice. 

Norm
Cheers,
Chowmi

NMLRA
CLA

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2019, 07:51:59 PM »
Hi Adrie:  may I make a constructive critique?  Forward of the lock, the stock of the forearm appears to be squarish.  Wood should be removed along the bottom third to give the stock an egg shaped appearance and feel.  Then the rounded stock gets blended into the lock panel and trigger guard area.  It will also amplify your lock panels and give the whole rifle an overall grace that is missing now.  I hope these images help...
If you click on the picture, twice, it will enlarge considerably.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 07:59:40 PM by D. Taylor Sapergia »
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline DutchGramps

« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2019, 07:55:13 PM »
It is indeed a work of art, and I am so happy that Adrie has stepped in to finish what I barely started. Otherwise, those nice parts would have ended probably in the skip when I kicked the bucket....
The only parts missing are the ramrod pipes; I ordered from TotW catalogue 17, RP-JAEG-E-7-B and F-7-B but they are no longer available. Now my question: what type of entry and forward pipes would be a correct replacement?
Coming Saturday Adrie will visit me, and we will discuss what finish will be used; I have some experience with the old Dutch army finish: alkanet root boiled in linseed oil, but any suggestions are welcome.
Hans
Real bikes are kick-started....

• Member 3
« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2019, 08:02:54 PM »
Tom Curran (Acer Sack-o-rum) had a really nice set ... perhaps he can help?
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2019, 08:46:17 PM »

Offline sz

« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2019, 10:06:28 PM »
I like Jaegers and I have made quite a few of them.  The shape Taylor is speaking of is easy to make, but you have to understand what is needed.  The "cheek" of the stock (wisest part of the round or oval) Should be at or very slightly above the level of the bottom of the barrel.  So if the pins are touching the bottom of that barrel the "cheek" should run right through the pin holes or about 1/16" above them. Not below and the cheek should be something you can easily see and "put a finger on".  If the gun has a bit too much square shape you'll find the "cheek" is not distinct.
Here  are a few pics.  As you can see, in looking a pictures it very hard to see this cheek that I speak of,  In most cases the sides of the hand-rail section of ther stock looks flatter then it is on the gun. I have seen this in most pictures, including those done in the books we buy.  But if you look at the lock moldings and in your minds eye see the widest part of the stock NOT coming from the center of the molding, but coming out of that molding in line with the pin holes you'll start to understand what I am trying to say.  It's very hard to show it with a picture.
I hope they are helpful. Maybe not, but This description and these pics are about all I can try without putting an actual gun in your hands.
Image-32 by Steve Zihn, on Flickr
IMG_0497 by Steve Zihn, on Flickr
This is not a Jaeger, but I got luckier then I usually do in the lighting, and you can see the cheek easier in this pic then you can in most.  It looks like it runs right through the pin hole, but it's actually about 1/16" above it.
100_0772 by Steve Zihn, on Flickr

This one is viable if you know what to look for.
My Rifle 3 by Steve Zihn, on Flickr

aag-443_6 by Steve Zihn, on Flickr
Again, not a Jaeger, but the lighting shows what I am trying to describe.
100_1165 by Steve Zihn, on Flickr
 And this is a Jaeger.
100_0605 by Steve Zihn, on Flickr
I apologize for my poor skills as a photographer, but maybe I can get the point across in-spite of my limitations.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2019, 11:17:02 PM »
When considering Architecture on Germanic guns you must keep in mind they are actually not any bigger than early colonial American rifles. They are not large guns. Their size is relative to the size of their barrel and buttplate. Many people that build these assume they are very big.
 It's too late now but there are some things you might consider for your next one. You have too much wood under the barrel. You need about 1/8" web between the bottom of the barrel and the ram rod, and 1/8" under the ram rod. Also, your barrel is buried a little deep in the barrel channel. It should show 1/2 to 2/3rds of the side flat above the wood. As previously mentioned, your wrist is a little square as is your lower forestock.. If you're doing a round cheek piece it should look like Sapergia's or sz's. To my eye, the buttstock seems a tad long and the wrist a bit short. Also, there should be no fluting around the lock panels. I'd avoid using a buffer on the brass too, should be hand polished with abrasive paper backed with something solid or stones. I'd avoid that much cast off too, looks like a lot. Usually 1/4" is more than enough, if that much. Please take this in a constructive way, as this is how it was meant.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

• Member 3
« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2019, 02:18:32 AM »
Here you go Adrie.

D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline Monty59

« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2019, 11:34:18 AM »
Hello Adrie,
if you like to see more pics of the rifles that you see from the post of D.Taylor Sapergia let me know this rifles are from my collection. Also a very good source of information is the book Steinschloss-Jägerbüchsen it is the best book about that kind of rifles with very good pictures. Here a link to it : https://www.dwjmedien.de/Steinschloss-Jaegerbuechsen I know the author and a friend of mine has provided many of his rifles for it.

Monty

Offline Adrie luke

« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2019, 12:02:21 PM »
Monty
I recognized the second Jaeger on the pictures of Taylor, now I understand.

• Member 3
« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2019, 08:41:40 PM »
Monty:  years ago, when I saw these wonderful Jaeger rifles posted here, I immediately added these pictures to my files, for reference.  I hope you don't mind me posting them here again.
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline Monty59

« Reply #45 on: December 08, 2019, 12:47:44 AM »
Hallo Taylor, no, that even made me happy that someone has saved the pictures to post them again at the right time !

Monty

Offline Adrie luke

« Reply #46 on: December 08, 2019, 02:27:47 PM »
I made the ramrod pipes for Hans. They are a little bit longer.
I think I am going to use two pipes, the same as on the pictures of Monty.

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #47 on: December 08, 2019, 06:53:47 PM »
Monty,

If you could link me to a thread regarding the second gun up from the bottom, in Taylor's post, I would really appreciate it!
I so enjoy seeing Brandenburg style rifles, with their somewhat different and simple lines, yet obvious high quality.

Very best,
Richard.

Offline Adrie luke

Re: Jaeger finished
« Reply #48 on: December 14, 2019, 06:46:58 PM »
Hello,

I have used the checklist and all your information.
The barrel fitted half in the stock, and now I have made it lower.
I made the grip longer and the fore stock shorter.
For me, I think the rifle is finished for Hans.
Next week I will return the rifle to him.
Thank you all. Merry Christmas and a happy New-year.
Adrie

• Member 3
« Reply #49 on: December 14, 2019, 08:17:16 PM »
Adrie:  for your first full sized rifle, you've done very well.  Hans will thoroughly enjoy the rifle.  Your willingness to take our critique and implement it in the build is commendable.  I hope you will continue to build full sized guns.
D. Taylor Sapergia