Author Topic: How did they do that  (Read 1425 times)

Offline David R. Pennington

How did they do that
« on: August 01, 2019, 12:47:19 AM »
This barrel was found in a local rock shelter. It had a drum and nipple but has been shortened at the breech and maybe at the muzzle. Curious about how the front sight would have been done with the groove chiseled through the dove tail?

VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline louieparker

Re: How did they do that
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2019, 01:17:36 AM »
I would bet its had two different sights . One cut down in the barrel and the latter dove tailed...LP

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2019, 04:16:55 AM »
There is also the remnants of a copper lug on the underside of the barrel very near the muzzle.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2019, 04:21:16 AM »
Mabe holding the muzzle cap tight against the barrel.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2019, 04:43:06 AM »
Dennis, that’s the only logic I could come up with for a lug at the muzzle, but I have yet to see a muzzle cap attached in that manner, have you? It also makes me wonder if it hasn’t been shortened some at the muzzle as well. May try reaming and rifling it and giving it a new life.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2019, 02:42:21 PM »
Dennis, that’s the only logic I could come up with for a lug at the muzzle, but I have yet to see a muzzle cap attached in that manner, have you? It also makes me wonder if it hasn’t been shortened some at the muzzle as well. May try reaming and rifling it and giving it a new life.

No I haven't seen one attached like that but I remember one rifle that I had that the muzzle cap just didn't want to stay tight against the bottom flat of the barrel. I thought seriously about putting a screw ther to hold it tight against the barrel. Didn't do it and I forget how I solved them problem.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline gusd

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2019, 04:11:40 PM »
Some early Reading guns had muzzle caps held on as you describe.
Gus